Sign in to follow this  
Fireman Iain

Review: Grand Cherokee Overland

Posted (edited)

Sounds fairly similar to the previous model that I have (WH, yours is a WH2), and with the same engine, except I don't have the air suspension. A criticism of mine, which would apply to most modern cars, is that it is too electronic, eg the Low ratio is engaged with a switch instead of a mechanical lever, more to go wrong. I'm not conscious of it being big until I see it next to other cars or when I need to fit in a parking slot and open the door. The power is immense - I'd feel afraid of pulling the towhook off if I really floored it with the caravan in tow .

If that is not enough, there is an insanely powerful 6.2L supercharged V8 petrol Trackhawk version, the most powerful production 4x4 made, but not sure if it's available in the UK. The un-supercharged 6.4L V8 petrol SRT8 is though.

The Jeep Commander (which used the WK/WH platform and engines) had 7 seats but was discontinued around 2011.

My VED is >£500, but my service and repairs don't cost much because I DiY, and I get spare parts from certain grey importers. Jeep dealer prices are silly, more than for Mercedes even where they share parts (CRD engine and gearbox are Merc).

Edited by Bolingbroke

We test drove one last year, it was a Summit model, I loved it, thought it was great to drive but then the Mrs drove it......................."I don't like it, we're not getting one!" and so, as she wears the trousers we didn't buy one.

Have you seen the Elk test, it didn't perform too well on that. Still a nice car though.

I think the model is WK1 and WK2 and not WH.   The Trackhawk is available in the UK.  On more than one occasion I have had to floor it with a 2000kg caravan in tow and no issue.  The air suspension makes a huger difference to towing.  Parts are expensive however we have a 3 year service plan for our 2012 Overland Summit CRD with a full Jeep dealership service history however taking into account the cost over the 3 years we are wondering if it s really worth having.  Our previous Jeep was serviced locally by an Inde however every now and then we still had to take it to the Jeep dealership for a software update when certain new parts where fitted. 

That Elk test is years old and IMHO not worth the effort.  If you are stupid enough to run into an Elk in the UK that is your own fault!  LOL! 

I wonder who long BG has been driving a Jeep Grand Cherokee?  Strange that some driving VW should be adding comments on a review of the Jeep GC.  The VW is equally as bad if not worse and both my were terrible cars to drive!

• Confused 1

I simply added other reviews of the Grand Cherokee for interest - I've passed no opinion.

9 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

I wonder who long BG has been driving a Jeep Grand Cherokee?  Strange that some driving VW should be adding comments on a review of the Jeep GC.  The VW is equally as bad if not worse and both my were terrible cars to drive!

All I see in BG's post are links to other reviews of the same car, surely as many reviews as possible will give a better picture of what the vehicle is like to drive etc?

If members only posted on topics they have personal first hand experience the forum would be a quiet place to be!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

That is like saying a friend of a friend's uncle brother sister in law had an issue with their VW.  ;)  BG has zilch experience of driving or servicing the Jeep GC.  Anyway we all know what rubbish car magazines write about any vehicle especially What Car and Practical caravan.  It is up to the individual to decide where to spend their  money.  In case you missed it this was originally a review for a vehicle and not a discussion thread.  BG could have started a thread under tow cars and posted the links there, but he chose to slag off the vehicle in question by posting those links under Reviews!

Edited by Durbanite
  • Confused 2

8 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

That is like saying a friend of a friend's uncle brother sister in law had an issue with their VW.    BG has zilch experience of driving or servicing the Jeep GC.  Anyway we all know what rubbish car magazines write about any vehicle especially What Car and Practical caravan.  It is up to the individual to decide where to spend their  money.  In case you missed it this was originally a review for a vehicle and not a discussion thread.  BG could have started a thread under tow cars and posted the links there, but he chose to slag off the vehicle in question by posting those links under Reviews!

He hasn't passed an opinion or personally slagged anything off,  just posted links to other reviews that have first hand experience.

Your right it is up to the individual where they spend their money, but personally I want to know as much as I can about the car I am interested in, and any help from others to for an opinion would be gratefully received.

In case you hadn't noticed, its a link to the review page, not the actual review.

Would you be so defensive if it wasn't about a car you drive - didn't think so?

• Like 2

Having just read the reviews BG posted a link to, I think they’re pretty fair. Both major on how much Jeep have improved the GC over earlier versions. Having driven the 2003 model some years ago, I can only agree. And mentioning that the ability improves with the extra transmission and ride height options that go with the air suspension is true too. 

What the reviews don’t focus on is how much the Jeep offers for the money. An Overland diesel lists at about £55k new, the equivalent Discovery is quite a bit more. Wander into a Jeep dealer as a serious purchaser and you can get a decent chunk off the list price, try that at LR and they’ll laugh you out of the showroom. The big Jeep is seriously good value for money. 

The Vw/Volvo cars at similar prices don’t have a fraction of the Jeep/LR off-road ability, and weren’t even on my shopping list. Audi/merc/Bmw are pretty much just road cars too and are also relatively pricy. 

• Like 2

I think the model is WK1 and WK2 and not WH. 

WH is the factory designation for the export models (ie non-US). Same as WK except mainly the exterior lighting. I've never heard the 2005-10 model called a WK1, only WK (or WH) - after all who would have known at the time that the next model would also be designated WK when it is really quite different. I was wrong BTW thinking the WK2 CRD used the same engine as the WK; it's still a 3.0 V6 but a Fiat design, not Mercedes.

That Elk test is years old and IMHO not worth the effort. 

I've seen it, and I'm not worried; the test looked artificial to me.  Appears the driver swerves back onto his original line at just the moment to resonate with the car's natural roll frequency.  You could probably find that moment with most cars with experimenting. He also never seems to brake, which is unrealistic.  It's a 4x4, not a stunt car.

To add on the origin of the present V6 diesel - it was originally a joint development between VM Motori and GM, as GM owned half of VM Motori, intended to go into Cadillacs - development was almost complete when the 2008-9 banking crisis pushed GM into bankrupcy so they dissolved their partnership leaving VM Motori with sole rights to the engine - GM sold their half of VM Motori to FCA whole also bought the other half to make VM Motori a wholly owned subsidiary of FCA - the engine also replace a Mercedes diesel in later versions of the Chrysler 300.

By repute, it's a good engine.

Sign in to follow this