Herzim awning rail Insert, really loose fit

On my last outing both Herzim strips came out of the rail slot and finished up scrap.

I have looked in a couple of accessory shops at a12mm width replacement but the strip is just too loose in the slot to be gripped.

The rail has a small thumbnail thickness recess close to the surface edge and I assume that the edge of the Herzim strip section should just tuck into the recess to grip it rather than be fully pushed into the main slot down to the heads of the countersunk rail retaining screws.

Measuring across the with of what fell out it's just about 12mm (Burgundy) but very loose.

Anyone else had this loose fit problem?

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back Bessacarr 845

They'll measure 12mm when they come out but are often 13mm when fitted :)

When I first replaced mine the chap at the caravan place gave me a few cut offs to try, mine are 13mm but measured 12mm when I removed the old ones

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Thanks Paul.

Have had a couple of samples of the so called 12mm but the have both been loose enough to not clip in and fall straight out, almost as if they are manufactured a bit too narrow.

I had two samples, burgundy and white, the white was slightly wider but still too loose.

Will try another couple of stockists.

Thanks OWOMW, sorted now.

Found a stockist who knew of the problem with the  narrow stuff (12mm) and now get theirs from a supplier who produces a full 13mm width.

Tried a sample and perfect lock in fit. :)

For any future Herzim Awning Rail Infill Insert search on the forum, 13mm can be obtained from Cannock Caravan Accessories, in all colours and at competitive price.

8 hours ago, onewheelonmywagon said:

I don't know if it's what you are looking for but Sealsdirect do a 12.5mm strip. They will send free samples.

Sealsdirect

I used them very helpful

• 1 year later...

Cannock Caravan Accessories do NOT stock 13mm Herzim trim, only 12mm. I've rung them to confirm that this morning. Anyone know where I can find 13 or 13.5mm?

What colour do you want?

7 hours ago, David Harris said:

Cannock Caravan Accessories do NOT stock 13mm Herzim trim, only 12mm. I've rung them to confirm that this morning. Anyone know where I can find 13 or 13.5mm?

Cannock Caravan Accessories DO stock 13mm, picked this sample of grey up today whilst passing.

They might say it's only 12mm but it just grips in a vernier set to 13mm.

This as the same as I used back in 2019 where 12mm fell straight out.

Ask them to send you a sample if you doubt it.20210501_162639.thumb.jpg.a2335dc355c172982b90c0d221ad2b00.jpg

25 minutes ago, Griff said:

Cannock Caravan Accessories DO stock 13mm, picked this sample of grey up today whilst passing.

They might say it's only 12mm but it just grips in a vernier set to 13mm.

This as the same as I used back in 2019 where 12mm fell straight out.

Ask them to send you a sample if you doubt it.20210501_162639.thumb.jpg.a2335dc355c172982b90c0d221ad2b00.jpg

I wonder if it is sold to fit 12mm rail, when the trim is in effect 13mm, to give the spring and bow to keep it fixed in the 12mm slot ?

8 minutes ago, Silversurf said:

I wonder if it is sold to fit 12mm rail, when the trim is in effect 13mm, to give the spring and bow to keep it fixed in the 12mm slot ?

Yes could be Silversurf, I tried a couple of samples meant to suit my past Buccaneers 12mm extrusion slot and they didn't grip at all and came straight out.

The above stuff clipped in.

If the aluminium extrusion is 13mm then no good, 14mm is needed if it exists.

On 11/05/2019 at 11:04, OWOMW said:

I don't know if it's what you are looking for but Sealsdirect do a 12.5mm strip. They will send free samples.

Sealsdirect

We had seal off sealsdirect.co.uk great company 

• 4 weeks later...