Sign in to follow this  
rambler2

Europe trip

We normally caravan in Europe at least twice a year Have not gone this year as have been waiting for Brexit to finalise so that I knew what requirements would be with regard to Dog,vehicle insurance and driving licence.

From the latest debacle it would appear that nothing will happen until October at the earliest.So I presume that everything will be as before if I go now and return before October.

That is how iI interpret it.

Has anyone got any different info re this and not just speculation

Thanks in advance

Yep that is what we are doing

• Thanks 1

I'm going as usual.  I've got an International Driving Permit from the Post Office and a Green Card from my Insurer.  Ferry crossing booked.  I have not got a dog, but if I had one, I'd speak to the relevant insurer and get it organised.  That bunch of idiots down in Westminster will have no effect on my annual trip to France.

John.

• Thanks 1

we are not going with caravan into Europe  because  of above issues and it could happen in June who knows and I just dont fancy being stuck  trying to cross channel  either way

Currently in Holland (have been for two weeks) off to The Loire on Sipjnday for three more weeks. 

Although I do have green cards for car and caravan they are currently NOT needed, and neither is any form of IDP. Just carry on as you have done for years. 

My money is on Brexit only ever half happening, and even then  in name only, the politicians won’t allow anything different. 

Andy

1 minute ago, Ashey said:

we are not going with caravan into Europe  because  of above issues and it could happen in June who knows and I just dont fancy being stuck  trying to cross channel  either way

So what are the continentals going to do, deport you if you don’t have an IDP, Besides if it DOES happen in June it will be done as the result of a “deal” of some description rather than “crashing out” anyway. 

I certainly have no intention of restricting my trips across the water.

And

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have been n France for 3 weeks and intend staying until September- have the IDP &  Green Cards but not going to worry about any problems that might, could, may, should arise over which I have no control.  What will they do if I turn up at st. Malo or Zeebrugge  for my ferry home and the rules have changed ?  Deport me ?? 

• Like 1

Brexit won’t happen, I wouldn’t worry about it, go on holiday and enjoy yourselves

37 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Currently in Holland 

Where are you at Plodd, anywhere nice?

The in-laws took their motor home to Callandsoog this afternoon, looks like the weather is going to pick up from tomorrow 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Brexit won’t happen, I wouldn’t worry about it, go on holiday and enjoy yourselves

The in-laws took their motor home to Callandsoog this afternoon, looks like the weather is going to pick up from tomorrow 

I agree it’s a dead duck!

Already been😀

Spent the 29th on Tenerife got emails from EasyJet before going out and just before coming home reassuring me the plane would fly😀.

Got an international driving licence-a waste of £15 the hire car company Autoreisen totally disinterested only wanted UK driving license and credit card-cheap as chips €134 for 14 days hire car unbashed  but scratched I definitely recommend.

Got my 94 year old relative travel insurance for her 6 week French trip from Red Pennant no problem.

I would tow anywhere in Europe this summer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice one ancell, we went to England and Scotland at Easter, going to England again in October, my only concern would be the dog but the mother-in-law will have her so nothing to worry about 

The Autoreisen car was a first time usually use expensive firms like Sixt Cigar Europcar so was concerned to find the car spotless inside and out but covered in scratches.

Knowing hire car companies scam techniques went to have a chat with an employee where the youth cheerily informed me “all our cars are like that-you might add a few more-how would we know?”

No fuel scams you just return the car with the same level of fuel.

At these prices I think I will get a soft top Merc next visit.

It was yet another stunning sunset over The Paps of Jura tonight went to Gigha today the beaches are much more beautiful than the Florida Keys and no mosquitos rattlers alligators or guns😂.

We are sailing on 28th May, after missing our winter trip last year. We now have everything in place not sure why some of you would miss your holidays in Europe due the EU & our governments inability to get there act together. Green cards are free international driving licence did break the bank, what did is our dogs the blood tests for  them cost over £300 plus other odds ends we are ready to go. Why not?

10 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Currently in Holland (have been for two weeks) off to The Loire on Sipjnday for three more weeks. 

Although I do have green cards for car and caravan they are currently NOT needed, and neither is any form of IDP. Just carry on as you have done for years. 

My money is on Brexit only ever half happening, and even then  in name only, the politicians won’t allow anything different. 

Andy

So what are the continentals going to do, deport you if you don’t have an IDP, Besides if it DOES happen in June it will be done as the result of a “deal” of some description rather than “crashing out” anyway. 

And

What is - Sipjnday -?

Alan

9 hours ago, Borussia 1900 said:

We are south of Amsterdam at a place called Rinjsberg, Mrs P has always wanted to “do” the Gardens at Keukenhof. So we went on Thursday, glorious sunshine! The gardens are awesome and well worth the effort to see. 7 MILLION tulips in simply acres of gardens and only €18 Admission (RHS take note!) A photographers heaven. We went to the UNESCO site at “Kinderdijk”yesterday, 19 water pumping windmills alongside various waterways, all within walking distance (we walked about five miles in total, but it was over the entire day but at least two miles were actually not necessary, we just enjoyed the solitude. What a lovely day out, wonderfully peaceful, all we could hear (most of the time, there were some Italians there) were the birds. A couple of the windmills are open to the public with “residents” in period dress who speak about 20 languages and explain anything you can think of to ask them.

The coastline is lovely, miles and miles of beautiful and expansive sand (the  water is, shall we say “refreshing”! though) 

The Dutch road system is pretty impressive too! Especially around Rotterdam, a sat nav WITH lane guidance is pretty much essential because you sometimes need to change from lane one to lane six fairly quickly whilst missing all the trucks who know exactly where THEY are going, Having said that the roads are smooth, well maintained and, best of all free, France please take note! 

I don’t think I had appreciated JUST how flat Holland is up until now. There are NO hills, I think the highest point we have been on was a motorway bridge! 

Have I convinced you it’s worth visiting yet??

Andy

14 minutes ago, AlanNancy said:

What is - Sipjnday -?

Alan

Spellcheckers, pah !!! It’s Sunday!

Andy

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

It is not stopping us, I have organised IDP, Green Card for Car and Caravan,Euros purchased  Tunnel booked, if you hang around waiting for Brexit to be sorted, we would never get a holiday in Europe

Edited by Les Medes
  • Like 3

It's not stopping us. I have no IDP or  Green Card. We are still in the EU so they aren't needed. 

I can't see a crash out happen until October. Dog would be fine anyway since it's going to EU after Brexit that can be a problem. No problem coming back.

• Like 1

Thanks Mr Plod we did the same trip a couple of years ago the flowers are a sight to see!

and the road network especially for bikes is just great!

fully recommend Holland!i

46 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Andy

I don’t need convincing, we live a 10 minute drive away from the Dutch border, we’re always going there. The Netherlands is the best place in the World for cyclists and it does have hills (near the Belgian border around Gulpen), not near you though.

Sailing a week Monday.

I really don't care.  I've had six months of anxiety and stress worrying about a No Deal and all the other miseries of Brexit.

I don't think anything will happen in June and if it does we will stay in France forever!!!!

4 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

We are south of Amsterdam at a place called Rinjsberg, Mrs P has always wanted to “do” the Gardens at Keukenhof. So we went on Thursday, glorious sunshine! The gardens are awesome and well worth the effort to see. 7 MILLION tulips in simply acres of gardens and only €18 Admission (RHS take note!) A photographers heaven. We went to the UNESCO site at “Kinderdijk”yesterday, 19 water pumping windmills alongside various waterways, all within walking distance (we walked about five miles in total, but it was over the entire day but at least two miles were actually not necessary, we just enjoyed the solitude. What a lovely day out, wonderfully peaceful, all we could hear (most of the time, there were some Italians there) were the birds. A couple of the windmills are open to the public with “residents” in period dress who speak about 20 languages and explain anything you can think of to ask them.

The coastline is lovely, miles and miles of beautiful and expansive sand (the  water is, shall we say “refreshing”! though) 

The Dutch road system is pretty impressive too! Especially around Rotterdam, a sat nav WITH lane guidance is pretty much essential because you sometimes need to change from lane one to lane six fairly quickly whilst missing all the trucks who know exactly where THEY are going, Having said that the roads are smooth, well maintained and, best of all free, France please take note! 

I don’t think I had appreciated JUST how flat Holland is up until now. There are NO hills, I think the highest point we have been on was a motorway bridge! 

Andy

Andy

Mr Plodd that sounds like an excellent trip and one I am sure my wife would enjoy - thanks for posting - would you be able to recommend some sites ?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Birdingbilly said:

Mr Plodd that sounds like an excellent trip and one I am sure my wife would enjoy - thanks for posting - would you be able to recommend some sites ?

Literally thousands of sites in the Netherlands, we like the ones belonging to the Ardoer Group, a bit pricey but well appointed www.ardoer.com

Edited by Borussia 1900

7 hours ago, Birdingbilly said:

All depends what you are looking for. We tend to use ACSI sites because, on an 8 or 9 week trip it keeps the cost down a bit and out of season they are excellent value.

For Versailles we use Camping Huttopia Versailles. (ACSI no, 1885)  Nothing special, pitches a bit uneven and unkempt. Lovely hot showers though! Very easy access by bus into Versailles itself for the palace and a 10 minute walk to the railway station for trains into Paris every 20 minutes!

Then on our trek north we stopped at another ACSI (No 1300) just off the motorway north near Arras. Good for a stopover if going up or down the motorway as it’s only about 5k off it. but not a lot else, but it’s in the countryside and  peaceful, but the shower block isn’t heated and the water? Well just hot enough I ‘spose! 

Currently at Camping Koningshof  (ACSI no 159) Very pleasant indeed, big pitches set in various “fields” with about 8 pitches per car free field. Well kept grass with lots of shelter from hedges from the wind. 10 amp ‘leccy, heated indoor pool (not the biggest) small shop,  snack bar and restaurant (Holland is not the cheapest place to eat out) friendly staff, plenty of hot, and I mean HOT water for washing up and showers (heated block)  

There are many excellent campsite in Holland, I think they invented camping! 

Leaving tomorrow to head back south, will use No. 1300 again as it’s convenient and from there it’s to the municipal site at Chaumont Sur Loire, one of our favourites, huge site right alongside the river, no marked pitches just stop where you choose. Easy walk into town for bakers and of course the Chateau, lots of reasonably priced eating places nearby (and some expensive ones too!) Brilliant cave just up the road at Rilly. 

Hope that helps a little.

Andy

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Andy

Andy

Holland is flat? Does that mean the letter inviting me for an interview for the post of Head of the Royal Dutch Netherlands Mountain Rescue Service is a scam? I did wonder when I was advised to send €1500 to a PO Box in Lagos to expedite my application ... :P.

Where in the Loire are you aiming for? We've been at our hovel in inland Vendee, about 1.75 hours south of Angers/Saumu, for a little over a fortnight now- just about regained control of what we laughingly refer to as the garden, repaired the damage done by the neighbour's goat to the well in the garden, and am entering the final stages of making a turning space/parking area for the Folding Caravan. My concrete mixer has been whirling like a dervish today!

Steve

Steve

Check out the post immediately above yours for the details! 

Chaumont Sur Loire for probably a week then moving on to Saumur to pick up some fizzy red wine. They make a particularly  good one there that’s a favourite, and we are (nearly) out! 

Andy

On 10/05/2019 at 20:55, Mr Plodd said:

I appreciate what you are saying  but we like a stress free holiday  thats why I like Europe  and being a European

I dont have the same faith in our politicians as yourself and others

we usually go around end of June  but my wife can only take 2 weeks and dosn't  want any problems so we are going on a Cruise instead from Southampton to the Med

enjoy the rest of your holiday