European Car Insurance - Longer Trips

Hi

I have searched this forum however there are so many postings as it is generic wording ....

Our Insurer Swinton Insurance only covers us for 30 day duration and our forthcoming trip to France is 52 days.  

Limited Googling identifies Ensleigh, Admiral and Saga as insurers that will offer cover for longer trips.

I am sure Saga will not be cheap.  Can anyone recommend an insurer that isn't going to break the bank so that I can contact them direct for a quote and don't have to spend hours trawling through the usual comparison sites?  No doubt these will only cover 30 days anyway.

We currently pay an excellent annual premium of only £202 fully comprehensive cover.

Many thanks.

I've faced this problem for years,   At renewal time most insurers will tell you that they cover you for driving abroad.   But when you question them hard, they eventually admit that the cover is only third party.   Some underwiters will want an additional premium for any comprehensive cover.   Others give 30 days; others 90 days and others 180 days.   From my findings the Caravan Club and LV will give longer periods.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Aviva cover me for up to 90 days in Europe for a single trip and up to 6 months of combined trips. This is at the same cover for the UK, ie fully comp.

We are both retired (70+) and have found that SAGA are very competitive.

2015 Hyundai Santa Fe SE Premium with fully comp, windscreen, uninsured driver etc and UNLIMITED travel to EU - £320pa

DirectLine are cheaper but only offer EU coverage with a hefty premium depending on the duration

Hyundai Santa Fe Premium SE 2015 with Lunar Clubman si 2011

Tattoos - who would want to make their body look like the wall in a public urinal - they are going to look amazing on a 75 year old - not!

59 minutes ago, moorgate said:

Yes, Jaydug is right.   LV insurance will provide comprehensive European car insurance for 180 days .

LV for us, too, because of the 180 day cover - and for the present time the offer of a free Green Card for car and caravan - and an easy way to obtain both those on line.

• Like 1

LV also do full European breakdown (inc UK) at a much lower rates than the usual breakdown organisations.

Advantage with LV is that if you have more than one policy with them you get a discount. They own what was Frizzell who used to do Red Pennant for the CMC.

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

17 minutes ago, Woodentop said:

LV also do full European breakdown (inc UK) at a much lower rates than the usual breakdown organisations.

Advantage with LV is that if you have more than one policy with them you get a discount. They own what was Frizzell who used to do Red Pennant for the CMC.

I am insured With Hastings Direct who cover me for 90 days  at a time as long as you come back into the country you can go straight out again and 90 days starts again

3 hours ago, meadowsweet said:

Hi

I have searched this forum however there are so many postings as it is generic wording ....

Our Insurer Swinton Insurance only covers us for 30 day duration and our forthcoming trip to France is 52 days.  

Limited Googling identifies Ensleigh, Admiral and Saga as insurers that will offer cover for longer trips.

I am sure Saga will not be cheap.  Can anyone recommend an insurer that isn't going to break the bank so that I can contact them direct for a quote and don't have to spend hours trawling through the usual comparison sites?  No doubt these will only cover 30 days anyway.

We currently pay an excellent annual premium of only £202 fully comprehensive cover.

Many thanks.

I am insured with Hastings Direct 90 days as standard this is can be done as many times a year as long as you come back into the UK  you can turn round and go again this suits us as we go out Jan Feb March come home for the summer go again Sept Oct Nov

3 hours ago, AndersG said:

We are with saga, fully comp in EU with no time limit.

And us - very competitive premium as well ( yes, I was surprised as well !! )

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

LV for me. 180 days cover on the same terms as at home. Some insurers will reduce your comprehensive cover to third party only when abroad so check the cover offered,

VW Touareg R Line 3. 0 towing a 2018 Lunar Clubman SE 

I was originally with Saga, maybe 4 years ago and a competitive premium but eventually this has increased and last quote was £593, legal cover, European cover and fully comp, over 20 years NCD, car 2 years old.  So unsure how some posts on here are so much cheaper unless of course this is a first time or second time with Saga. I’ve now moved to LV.

We insure with LV= and our cover is extended to Europe for 180 days free of charge, although I believe with new policies you have to pay for the Full Comp option to be extended for Europe

Les

9 hours ago, Bergamo said:

I was originally with Saga, maybe 4 years ago and a competitive premium but eventually this has increased and last quote was £593, legal cover, European cover and fully comp, over 20 years NCD, car 2 years old.  So unsure how some posts on here are so much cheaper unless of course this is a first time or second time with Saga. I’ve now moved to LV.

It's our first year with Saga and the premium was competitive. It was not the cheapest but close to it but I have noticed quite a few having large increases in premium.

We used to be with LV but I think they restricts you to a max of 180 days in a year. We could possibly have a max of 180 per trip but need more per year.

Excellent, Thank you.

My phone line will be red hot today.  I think 180 days will be enough for the time being.

I wonder how insurance companies justify charging a fairly whopping cancellation charge when the premium was paid in advance and not by direct debit?

Yes I saw the 180 days as opposed to Saga which is unlimited, but decided we wouldn’t be doing 180 days with a car in Europe, so this was the better deal for us.  You really do have to study each policy and the differences, I just wish they would all stick to a standard format for these though!