Sign in to follow this  
greensmith

planning trip in europe

Posted (edited)
On 11/05/2019 at 18:18, Woodentop said:

Won't be legal. If the GB on the plate is invalid through Brexit, then you must use a standard oval UK GB sticker.

And to correct an earlier comment, if Brexit does happen and you need an IDP, it is a common one for Europe but a different one for Spain. Its something to do with Spain using the 1948(?) regulations and the rest of Europe using the 1960(?) version.

As the caravan comes under your towing vehicle insurance when being towed, you will only need a Green Card for your towing vehicle. There is no such thing as a Green Card for a caravan.

I have a green card from my vehicle insurance for the vehicle itself and another one issued for a trailer .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

On 11/05/2019 at 19:18, Woodentop said:

There is no such thing as a Green Card for a caravan.

I've got one.

Saga just sent us a green card for the car and one for the caravan. No charge and valid until renewal day.

Not clear if I need idp. Funny how US, Canada and Australia did not!

10 minutes ago, 664DaveS said:

Saga just sent us a green card for the car and one for the caravan. No charge and valid until renewal day.

Not clear if I need idp. Funny how US, Canada and Australia did not!

Did you have to ask for them? I an insured with Saga and have not had a green card sent through and I am going to France in June.

On 10/05/2019 at 16:38, robhar said:

You will need an emissions sticker on the car in France - apply here - https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/en/

Depending on Brexit negotiations you may also need Green cards for car and caravan , international driving permits - I think its a different one in Spain and France so you will need 2, available from the Post Office and in Spain you may need speed limit stickers on the caravan. If you have the euro flag GB symbol on your numbers plates these will also be invalid if we leave. GB flag cover up stickers can be found on ebay.

We have travelled from Roses to Caen, St Malo, Caen, La Rochelle, St Nazaire and an emissions sticker was never required.  It is only required if entering certain cities like Paris. Lyons. etc.

On 11/05/2019 at 18:18, Woodentop said:

Won't be legal. If the GB on the plate is invalid through Brexit, then you must use a standard oval UK GB sticker.

And to correct an earlier comment, if Brexit does happen and you need an IDP, it is a common one for Europe but a different one for Spain. Its something to do with Spain using the 1948(?) regulations and the rest of Europe using the 1960(?) version.

As the caravan comes under your towing vehicle insurance when being towed, you will only need a Green Card for your towing vehicle. There is no such thing as a Green Card for a caravan.

Hardly likely that even if Brexit occurred that things would change over night.  It probably would take months to implement anything.

1 hour ago, Durbanite said:

It is only required if entering certain cities like Paris. Lyons. etc.

It is not my understanding that it is restrict to entering certain listed Cities only but await comment.

According to the Crit Air website I found -

https://www.crit-air.fr/en.html

It states within the initial text  (copied and pasted) :- 

"In addition, new environmental zones will be set up in 2018, each covering a whole department, and come into force according to the level of air pollution.
These include in particular the departments around the respective cities of Orleans, Chartres, La Roche-sur-Yon, Annecy, Chambery and many others."

14 minutes ago, montesa said:

It is not my understanding that it is restrict to entering certain listed Cities only but await comment.

According to the Crit Air website I found -

https://www.crit-air.fr/en.html

It states within the initial text  (copied and pasted) :- 

"In addition, new environmental zones will be set up in 2018, each covering a whole department, and come into force according to the level of air pollution.
These include in particular the departments around the respective cities of Orleans, Chartres, La Roche-sur-Yon, Annecy, Chambery and many others."

That is not an official website but a site that resell the stickers.

The only area in France were a non commercial vehicle need a sticker every day is inside the ring road in Paris.

It's true that that site (https://www.crit-air.fr/en.html)    should not be used to buy the stickers. However, it does have useful information regarding the zones to which restrictions might be placed although that is unlikely for the foreseeable future. For instance the whole of Pyrenees Atlantique may be covered if the local authorities decide so.

It's worth getting the sticker which only costs a few euros. But get it from the official site: https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/en/

8 hours ago, gmc15 said:

Did you have to ask for them? I an insured with Saga and have not had a green card sent through and I am going to France in June.

Yes just give them a call,they were very helpful. Thelady saoid it had been taking 10 days, but ours arrived in three.

7 minutes ago, 664DaveS said:

Yes just give them a call,they were very helpful. Thelady saoid it had been taking 10 days, but ours arrived in three.

Thanks, I'll do that soon.:)

well we are more or less ready to go now, waiting for critair sticker to arrive and our acsi book & app, ferry booking to do as not done that yet, just been and bought a few things this weekend, new chairs, looked at a few quest, outwell and a few others, the most comfortable was from the range with good strong framework, new kampa sumshine pro 400 awning, tower fans, and a few other bits and bobs, just a long weekend away in cornwall next weekend and then off over to france and spain for 4 weeks leaving on 19th june, cant wait to get away

if anyone could think of anything else we might need then speak up

phil

You are already taking more than we do!  Good wishes, take care.

35 minutes ago, greensmith said:

well we are more or less ready to go now, waiting for critair sticker to arrive and our acsi book & app, ferry booking to do as not done that yet, just been and bought a few things this weekend, new chairs, looked at a few quest, outwell and a few others, the most comfortable was from the range with good strong framework, new kampa sumshine pro 400 awning, tower fans, and a few other bits and bobs, just a long weekend away in cornwall next weekend and then off over to france and spain for 4 weeks leaving on 19th june, cant wait to get away

if anyone could think of anything else we might need then speak up

phil

You may have left it a bit late to book a ferry for 19th June (only 4 weeks to go). As you haven't booked a ferry yet, have you done your travel insurance? Have you got your Green Card?

As you plan to use the motorways it is well worth getting a Tag for the French Autoroutes - saves a lot of time and hassle. Virtually no queuing at normal toll kiosks and also the newer drive through  ones at 30kmp.

And your front seat passenger will no longer have to do the paying or operating the automatic machines - all payment kiosks and machine are on the left of your car....

https://www.emovis-tag.co.uk/subscription?ref=RF-20180101-5B839BF8

28 minutes ago, Ern said:

You may have left it a bit late to book a ferry for 19th June (only 4 weeks to go). As you haven't booked a ferry yet, have you done your travel insurance? Have you got your Green Card?

ferry just booked, leaving on thursday 20th june and returning on thursday 18th july £298 return with p&o

not going to bother with green card, were not out of europe yet and going to take months to sort out anyway, so imo no point.

phil