Sign in to follow this  
shipbroker

Touring & Tenting site - Closing.

Normally we don't mention the other Forums,but just a few words to say that Mark & Sonja have 'pulled the plug', at least for the foreseeable future, on their very friendly website. They will continue to operate a T&T Facebook site which has increased in usage.

There are some of us here who were regular readers or contributors to their site over the years and it will be missed, at least for those many who won't us FB. 

geoff

• Thanks 4

Used to go on there regularly, but in the last year I have on

y looked in once a week!

I won't miss it as I have not been on it since 2006 after some argument during a meet organised by T&T.

30 minutes ago, oldboy said:

I won't miss it as I have not been on it since 2006 after some argument during a meet organised by T&T.

Don't think any meets in last 7 years which probably part of problem...

Geoff

5 minutes ago, shipbroker said:

Don't think any meets in last 7 years which probably part of problem...

Geoff

Possibly, don't forget T&T was a business after all.

I also gave up on it years ago as I couldn't do with the animosity a certain few brought to the forum

• Thanks 1

I was also a fairly regular poster under the forum name of "GaryB" (I would have used that here as well but someone else had it!).  I went over to T&T after the sudden demise of "Go Touring", anyone remember that one?

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, GaryB1969 said:

I was also a fairly regular poster under the forum name of "GaryB" (I would have used that here as well but someone else had it!).  I went over to T&T after the sudden demise of "Go Touring", anyone remember that one?

Go Touring, yes still got the T-shirt  somewhere. the demise happened because of politic

1 hour ago, oldboy said:

Possibly, don't forget T&T was a business after all.

More a hobby than a business, certainly in the years I have been with them, and animosity was something I found absent amongst the few regulars....which was nice.

geoff

• Like 3

That's a shame as it was a more friendly site, although I haven't used it for some years.

• Like 1

I was on there as Jbeans. Looked in most days but not a lot of activity. 

Hope all goes well for Mark and Sonja 

3 hours ago, oldboy said:

Don't forget T&T was a business after all.

Business or pleasure - either way, it costs money to run a dot.com website.   It's up to each individual owner to decide when to pull the plug.     My own dot.com doesn't make me any money, but for now, I get huge pleasure from it.

13 minutes ago, Jaydug said:

Business or pleasure - either way, it costs money to run a dot.com website.   It's up to each individual owner to decide when to pull the plug.     My own dot.com doesn't make me any money, but for now, I get huge pleasure from it.

+1

1 hour ago, Lady Bird said:

I was on there as Jbeans. Looked in most days but not a lot of activity. 

Hope all goes well for Mark and Sonja 

Well will we have an Irish Fishing site now!

Geoff

1 hour ago, shipbroker said:

Well will we have an Irish Fishing site now!

Geoff

:goodpost:

We have booked for September. Different cottage this time but in same village. :D

2 minutes ago, Lady Bird said:

:goodpost:

We have booked for September. Different cottage this time but in same village. :D

Cheers Jill...don't think we will make it to Ireland for a while.

geoff

1 minute ago, shipbroker said:

Cheers Jill...don't think we will make it to Ireland for a while.

geoff

Not good Geoff, but we have to get on with what life throws us. Hope you can get back there soon. 

On ‎10‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 14:27, shipbroker said:

More a hobby than a business, certainly in the years I have been with them, and animosity was something I found absent amongst the few regulars....which was nice.

geoff

Sorry I started another thread, this one didn't seem to show up in unread content? I wonder if the lack of animosity was due to Mark and Sonja banning the discussion of more contentious subjects? It seems to me that once that was put in place there was a rapid and permanent decline in the number of posts. I am not for one moment saying they were wrong in doing that but it did seem to have a consequence.  As to Touring and Tenting being a business I very much doubt it made any money once hosting costs were taken into account and probably the reason the decision was made to close it. Even from an amateur basis there does have to be some justification for continuing with such a site.  Even those of us with our own domains there will be a cost.  Unfortunately Touring and Tenting is just one of a long line of caravan forums which have either closed or have no traffic. The advent of Facebook Groups seems to be the "new" thing and even Touring and Tenting are keeping a presence on Facebook.  

David

• Like 2

Why bother with any other site when we have the best here, I gave up on two other Forums, one was the club because in the early days it was fine, then a few bullies joined and started arguing with everyone and it just became intolerable.  

It's a shame,  I liked Touring and Tenting, but I don't do Facebook, the club forum isn't one I particularly like, just personal.

Haven't caravanned since 2011. It's just not our hobby anymore. 

I guess forums became popular with the spread of the internet but are now declining as younger generations take to facetwit or whatever.

2 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

I guess forums became popular with the spread of the internet but are now declining as younger generations take to facetwit or whatever.

I think you are correct, I am a member of some home brewing forums which are going the same way for the same reasons.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

I had a communication from a business I had bought from last year advising that I could no longer send an e-mail but could contact them through FB, Instagram or Twitter......so won't be buying anything there again.

David, In the many years I had been with Mark & Sonja had never realised that there had been subjects banned, and I was continually one of their top posters. They didn't make anything,or weren't when the server changes took place a couple of years back. I will miss them, they were a totally different 'animal' to this excellent site insomuch as the whole feel was much more gentle. I don't even visit the CMC one and the only other one I do visit but not to browse and answer is C4U where like IanB/IanV8 I log my nights away.

geoff

• Like 1

Nice words Geoff. :goodpost:

5 hours ago, shipbroker said:

the only other one I do visit but not to browse and answer is C4U

I dropped in there the other night and the last post was made three days earlier.   The forum hasn't been the same since Eric passed on ---------------- then again it might just be the trend.

Sign in to follow this