Jump to content
GaryB1969

A towcar over 1700kgs kerbweight between £10K and £25K?

Recommended Posts

As I mentioned in a thread in another area, redundancy sees me looking for a car.  Previously I've chosen a company car from a list of five manufacturers with little consideration for the list price, so I'm in unfamiliar ground and welcome the input and comments from all, just in case there's a manufacturer/model I haven't considered.

 

I'm looking for something with a kerbweight of over 1700kgs and a maximum towing weight of at least this as I tow a 2018 Sprite Quattro EB with an MTPLM of 1624kgs.  Considering fuel economy I'd prefer something car-derived (estate) rather than an SUV (and diesel), but that's not a complete given.  I even looked at Nissan Navara/Mitsubishi L200 type pick-ups with a crew-cab.  

 

Age?  Price?  I've looked at two scenarios, one being to buy something for around£10K with maybe 50,000 miles at 5 or 6 years old, or something only a few months old for around £25K.  So far I've looked at Audi A6 Avants, Volvo V90's, Hyundai Santa-Fe and Kia Sorento's.  The Hyundai and Kia surprised me with how expensive they are at a few years old, they seem to retain their value well.  Audi's depreciate a lot in the first few years and Volvo's are only a couple o years old anyway.  There are so many cars out there it's a bit over-whelming so I'd welcome any comments on this to try and clear some of the fog!

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

V90 would be my choice. Think Volvos hold price well.

Have you considered PCP as a way of funding?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Give the Vauxhall Antara a look, even the newest ones at low mileage fit your budget.

Hard to find more car, or capability for the money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, GaryB1969 said:

As I mentioned in a thread in another area, redundancy sees me looking for a car.  Previously I've chosen a company car from a list of five manufacturers with little consideration for the list price, so I'm in unfamiliar ground and welcome the input and comments from all, just in case there's a manufacturer/model I haven't considered.

 

I'm looking for something with a kerbweight of over 1700kgs and a maximum towing weight of at least this as I tow a 2018 Sprite Quattro EB with an MTPLM of 1624kgs.  Considering fuel economy I'd prefer something car-derived (estate) rather than an SUV (and diesel), but that's not a complete given.  I even looked at Nissan Navara/Mitsubishi L200 type pick-ups with a crew-cab.  

 

Age?  Price?  I've looked at two scenarios, one being to buy something for around£10K with maybe 50,000 miles at 5 or 6 years old, or something only a few months old for around £25K.  So far I've looked at Audi A6 Avants, Volvo V90's, Hyundai Santa-Fe and Kia Sorento's.  The Hyundai and Kia surprised me with how expensive they are at a few years old, they seem to retain their value well.  Audi's depreciate a lot in the first few years and Volvo's are only a couple o years old anyway.  There are so many cars out there it's a bit over-whelming so I'd welcome any comments on this to try and clear some of the fog!

 

Thanks

No hesitation here, Ford Galaxy. Incredible fuel consumption mid to high 40's driving around locally, high 20's / low 30's towing. Very stable having very little overhang at the rear, very flexible carry 7 people or fold the seats down and you have a decent sized van with any combination inbetween. Cheap servicing, plenty of independents know the Ford vehicles well, great forum support, wide choice of engines from 140 bhp to 200+ in diesel.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

No hesitation here, Ford Galaxy. Incredible fuel consumption mid to high 40's driving around locally, high 20's / low 30's towing. 

:rotfl:

My two Galaxys have never got anywhere near that frugality.  They have been proper torque converter autos though:   2.0 and now 2.2 (currently averaging almost 30 mpg, best is 37 mpg.)

Very comfortable seats though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had the same issue when I retired as had spent years with company cars but restricted to what was on the list. I use to tow with VW Passats, BMW 320d and a BMW520d estate. When I retired I decided to treat myself to a proper towcar and purchased a year old VW Touareg which proved to be such a good towcar that I replaced it after 3 years with another newer Touareg which I currently run and will probably keep it for much longer then I usually do. Both have been totally reliable but do cost more to run then an estate car. To help you check on towing ability there is a website at https://towcar.info/GB/ where you can check how your chosen vehicle will behave with your caravan.

I did find that my BMW 520 estate was less stable than other cars I had towed with and subsequently found out that if the car was ordered with factory fit towbar, modified rear suspension and engine cooling was fitted, presumably to address this issue.  Car electronics are also very complicated these days so a factory fit or approved wiring kit is essential to ensure that the car knows you are towing and modifies the behaviour of traction/stability control system,  intelligent alternators (which can impact on fridge efficiency) for example. My point is that a used car with factory fit towing equipment is probably  a better bet then a car with retrofitted towing equipment

Another source of advice is the towcar of the year event which occurs annually so if you Google Towcar of the year you will get a listing of previous years events so if looking for a 3 or 5 year old car you can see how some popular towcars fared.

Personally, if I was looking for a big estate to tow with, I would look at VW Passat, BMW 5 series, Skoda Superb, Volvo, Mercedes C or E class. However, given you are towing a big heavy caravan I would feel happier in a heavy SUV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seat Alhambra, a neighbour has one, it tows well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, robhar said:

I did find that my BMW 520 estate was less stable than other cars I had towed with and subsequently found out that if the car was ordered with factory fit towbar, modified rear suspension and engine cooling was fitted, presumably to address this issue.  Car electronics are also very complicated these days so a factory fit or approved wiring kit is essential to ensure that the car knows you are towing and modifies the behaviour of traction/stability control system,  intelligent alternators (which can impact on fridge efficiency) for example. My point is that a used car with factory fit towing equipment is probably  a better bet then a car with retrofitted towing equipment

 

 

My current car is a 2006 BMW520D with a factory towbar, towing a twin axle at a 92% ratio it has been a lovely car but I do miss the practicality of an estate.  BMW's built after 2016 are a lot lighter and not really suitable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jaguar XF Sportbrake would fit your criteria.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

If you're looking at pick ups then there are loads of lease deals around which could also fit with self employment. 

Skoda Superb or the soon to be phased out Mondeo estate if you're looking at car derived. Honda CRV or Volvo  C60 for a smaller suv. 

Edited by Woodie106

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Audi A6, I’d probably spend something in the middle of your budget and get a 4 year old 2.0TDi S-Tronic SE Estate for £16k-ish with under 60k on the clock.

 

5 series Estates seem to be a similar price at this age but I don’t really like BMW’s, I just find the interiors less pleasant although I’m sure they are still very nice.

 

I’d think a B8 Passat or Mondeo would probably be a bit on the light side for your van - although do-able you really would be towing at or over 100%

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about a Galaxy, S-Max, Seat Alhambra dunno if VW still do the Sharan all over 1750kg

 

Depends whether you want a 4x4 or something a bit more car/estate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I suspect you will not find an estate heavy enough, I struggled when we changed our caravan to one with MTPLM of 1500 kg since most of the popular ones are too light and I would never spend a vast amount on a car which sheds money every year. Have you considered trying to buy your old company car or the same model ?

 

Something to consider if you are going for a car with 50k miles, it is likely to start needing more than just servicing repairs and some brands can be expensive. Even doing your own repairs can cost a lot for the parts so a Ford might make more sense than may be a BMW.

 

I suspect your family will not be happy if you spent £25k on a car when you are not working, one a few years old makes better financial sense when somebody else has paid a lot of the depreciation. Make sure the engine is euro 6 so you are not likely to be penalised too much using it in towns in a few years.

Edited by Paul1957

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Paul1957 said:

Something to consider if you are going for a car with 50k miles, it is likely to start needing more than just servicing repairs and some brands can be expensive. Even doing your own repairs can cost a lot for the parts so a Ford might make more sense than may be a BMW.

 

Youre living in the past with that comment, cars easily exceed 200,000 miles with straight forward maintenance. It's highly unlikely you will have anything other than routine service costs up to 200K in my humble opinion. I have run high mileage cars for the last 20+ years which has followed the above, some them to 375,000 miles.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree.....went looking for a replacement for my Rexton with only 148000 on clock, one sales operation had some cracking clean cars, BMW's,Mercs, even Discoveries!

every one was 90,000 plus..and a couple were as high as 125000 and only three years old.....given a better budget I would have bought any one of them!

geoff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Once you get to above 50k miles there will be brake discs/pads to replace, maybe clutch/DMF, timing belts, exhaust DPF - these are not what I call normal servicing but things I suspect owners of company cars need to be aware of when buying their own used car. A check should also be made that everything works and on-line searches can highlight common faults. A high mileage car may well have less mechanical wear than one used for many short trips. I've had a few high mileage Saabs and the 900i had 190k miles on it when I changed it and it still did not use any oil but the gearbox bearings I had to replace at 150k miles. The 9-5 was different though, the steering rack had to be replaced, it used oil, the turbo failed, all less than 90k miles and the timing chain needed replacing.

Edited by Paul1957
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Paul1957 said:

Once you get to above 50k miles there will be brake discs/pads to replace, maybe clutch/DMF, timing belts, exhaust DPF - these are not what I call normal servicing but things I suspect owners of company cars need to be aware of when buying their own used car. A check should also be made that everything works and on-line searches can highlight common faults. A high mileage car may well have less mechanical wear than one used for many short trips. I've had a few high mileage Saabs and the 900i had 190k miles on it when I changed it and it still did not use any oil but the gearbox bearings I had to replace at 150k miles. The 9-5 was different though, the steering rack had to be replaced, it used oil, the turbo failed, all less than 90k miles and the timing chain needed replacing.

 

I was reading on facebook only yesterday of someone struggling to get parts for a clutch on a mk1 Tiguan, and the cost was around £900!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Second hand more down to luck and what local dealers have, we bought an old Kia Sorento to tow with, around 2006, with the idea of only using it to tow with, then wife bought a Jag XE with is able to tow 1800 the latter light getting around 60 MPG where Kia around 45 MPG so in theory don't need the Kia, however it tows that well rated 3000 that we are keeping it to tow with. It's not the figures, it's the little things like not needing to crawl under the car to fit the 7 pin plug or fit and remove tow ball. And having an easy to use boot, and can carry both bikes and caravan on the tow ball. Latter not an option with detachable tow ball.

 

And taking a caravan on/off sites, better with high ground clearance. Our Jag XE only 2 wheel drive auto and hence low road tax £30 where sons is the 4 x 4 version and higher road tax, although same engine and look the same from outside, even same engine although different mapping. The Jag and Kia nearly same BHP with versions we have, but very different beasts.

 

Because Jag is auto we don't realise what torque it has, but the Kia under 2000 rev is very docile, over 2000 rev loads of power, to get good MPG with Kia means up and down the box, although on the motorway at just over 50 it will tow in top nicely. Drop below 50 MPH and you loss power so towing have to change down. Even if the Jag 8 speed box does change down, we are unaware of it so not worried.

 

On holiday I prefer to see over hedges and see the country side, so like the high Kia, running around local or motorway runs, the prefer the Jag, so in other words down to your life style.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

If it is a company car and you are happy with it, can't you just buy it off the company? until you sort yourself out.

Edited by oldboy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, oldboy said:

If it is a company car and you are happy with it, can't you just buy it off the company? until you sort yourself out.

 

Unfortunately not, all our company cars are leased and are put through the auctions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Paul1957 said:

Once you get to above 50k miles there will be brake discs/pads to replace, maybe clutch/DMF, timing belts, exhaust DPF - these are not what I call normal servicing but things I suspect owners of company cars need to be aware of when buying their own used car.

 

Wear and tear rather than servicing.

 

We tend to buy under 3 years old and sell at 6 for our main car; much of the wear and tear isn’t really an issue but don’t pay a huge fortune for the privilege.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Paul1957 said:

Once you get to above 50k miles there will be brake discs/pads to replace, maybe clutch/DMF, timing belts, exhaust DPF - these are not what I call normal servicing but things I suspect owners of company cars need to be aware of when buying their own used car. A check should also be made that everything works and on-line searches can highlight common faults. A high mileage car may well have less mechanical wear than one used for many short trips. I've had a few high mileage Saabs and the 900i had 190k miles on it when I changed it and it still did not use any oil but the gearbox bearings I had to replace at 150k miles. The 9-5 was different though, the steering rack had to be replaced, it used oil, the turbo failed, all less than 90k miles and the timing chain needed replacing.

With all due respect Paul that's rubbish, discs will NOT need replacing at 50k, DPF definitely not unless they have been abused in some way. Pads are normal service items and if clutches are failing at 50k that's poor driving technique. My current Range Rover bought 6 years old, full service history, hasn't had discs replaced at all and they're still fine, everything working as it should including DPF's. Warranty companies are perfectly happy to provide warranty on cars with 50k on the clock something they would'nt do if they were going to incurr repair costs.

Edited by AJGalaxy2012

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, robhar said:

 

I did find that my BMW 520 estate was less stable than other cars I had towed with and subsequently found out that if the car was ordered with factory fit towbar, modified rear suspension and engine cooling was fitted, presumably to address this issue. 

 

They don`t touch the rear suspension. It comes as standard with self-levelling air suspension which compensates for the addition loading. I`ve never needed any addition engine cooling (pulling 1535kgs and awning, fridge, inflatable boat and cycles in/on the car), but would recommend making sure the cars is fitted with the correct BMW harness as this activates the trailer stability system when towing.

 

As for cars needing all this extra work after 50K (Paul1957), maybe 30 years ago. Mine is now 6 years old, has 140K on the clock, has had two sets of brake pads on the front, 1 set of discs on the front, 1 set of pads on the rear and two rear airbags (done under warranty). Still on the original clutch and has never used any oil. Other than routine servicing every 18K  at an independent garage, thats it. Can`t speak for other makes (although I`ve had 4 Fords as company cars and they were without exception utter garbage), but there aren`t that many `bad` cars being produced nowadays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/05/2019 at 09:30, GaryB1969 said:

Considering fuel economy I'd prefer something car-derived (estate) rather than an SUV (and diesel), but that's not a complete given.

 

Fuel economy towing or solo?  When towing, over-working a smaller car will not necessarily give the better economy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should be able to get a good low mileage LR Discovery 4 within your price bracket !!  We have had ours eight years now and it is fantastic towing or solo and has not required any repairs just it's servicing each year  OK not so hot on MPG we get 23 towing a heavy 532 Airstream and 28 solo.  

 

They are 7 seaters when required or massive load luggers!  When we are towing it swallows all the paraphernalia for our Airstream which has reached its ''payload'' with just normal day to day gear so everything else goes in the Disco.

Airstream2.thumb.jpg.736a7715fe50cb45b65200dbbd67f174.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...