Sign in to follow this  
lunarloopy

Dyson Electric car

22 minutes ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

That really wont be the case i.e. take an IC engined aircraft and an identical electric powered aircraft, electric cannot match the ic engined one for duration. The fuel in the tank has much more energy density than batteries of any flavour.

During power up any decent speed controller will look for zero throttle before arming it's output, at any other time it's no different to IC engine, increase the throttle will increase the RPM.

Electric flight is a great solution, clean, efficient, easy and reliable with the caveats of the dangers of LiPo's

Agreed fuel is way way ahead of battery energy density but for 1-3 HP aerobatic model aircraft it’s fine for me giving 10-15 minutes flying time and unlike the ic flyers fiddling with their gunk spraying engines I just turn up-switch on-and fly-then no cleaning off the oily film on the aircraft just put it back in the car.

In general you are correct regarding throttle arming safety-unfortunately for some time now flyers have been using transmitters that are basically computers with sticks.

Not only are all the controls reassignable-but-the sense as well!

When the trainee fiddles with the throttle software it is possible to confuse the throttle arming system.

I have witnessed two aircraft fly out rear tail gates.

In both cases it was suspected the trainee failed to switch on the transmitter before connecting the aircraft power when the transmitter was switched on the arming system was compromised.

Fortunately in both cases the aircraft cartwheeled into the ground.

9 hours ago, Woodie106 said:

Ah yes - I think that was the article I read & got a bit ahead of myself. Still,  a week is a start & shows we are heading in that direction.  

I can't say what they do in Germany. Maybe our German based posters could shed some light  (powered by renewable energy of course ;)) on their power generation.

I have driven around the vast brown coal open cast sites so loved by the East German government.

Not bothered by trifles like health&safety-planning-democracy etc it just bulldozed the landscape for hundreds of square kilometres.

Guess what-Mrs Merkel has fired up the bulldozers😂

Once more the brown coal is being dug.

Perhaps it’s all being exported?😂😂

3 hours ago, xtrailman said:

Or wait for the Mercedes benz EQA with a 250mile range that can be rapid charged in 10 minutes to 25%, and relatively cheap around £35K.

268bhp 369 pound feet to all four wheels for a 0-60mph of less than 5.0sec.

Due next year. Source whatcar.

Would that be on the Ultra high current DC chargers that other cars like the ipace could use?

The same chargers that are not available in the UK yet. :(

7 hours ago, Stevan said:

Pity about all the other ideas that have not materialised yet:-

Teleportation, time travel, telepathy, Faster than light flight, colonisation of other planets.

Just because something is wanted does not make it possible in a reasonable timeframe!

Reads like you are a Star Trek fan?

6 hours ago, logiclee said:

Would that be on the Ultra high current DC chargers that other cars like the ipace could use?

Probably.

7 hours ago, logiclee said:

I think the pertinent word in that sentence is 'yet'

As I posted earlier, we have to start somewhere. 

This has to be a government lead project & at the moment we have no leadership on anything from the rudderless shambles supposedly running the country. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ancell said:

Agreed fuel is way way ahead of battery energy density but for 1-3 HP aerobatic model aircraft it’s fine for me giving 10-15 minutes flying time and unlike the ic flyers fiddling with their gunk spraying engines I just turn up-switch on-and fly-then no cleaning off the oily film on the aircraft just put it back in the car.

I agree totally and I use electric power most of the time but your statement "My electrically powered model aircraft can match ic for flying duration." they simply cannot due to energy densities.

8 hours ago, ancell said:

In general you are correct regarding throttle arming safety-unfortunately for some time now flyers have been using transmitters that are basically computers with sticks.

Not only are all the controls reassignable-but-the sense as well!

When the trainee fiddles with the throttle software it is possible to confuse the throttle arming system.

I have witnessed two aircraft fly out rear tail gates.

In both cases it was suspected the trainee failed to switch on the transmitter before connecting the aircraft power when the transmitter was switched on the arming system was compromised.

Fortunately in both cases the aircraft cartwheeled into the ground.

Computer based transmitters have been used for 40+ years to my knowledge and channels re-assignable including reversing. That doesnt make any difference to the Electronic Speed Controller that will wait for a zero signal before arming. In the situation you describe, reversing the throttle channel would result in the pilot having to go to full throttle to arm the system and the close the throttle to start the motor. Nothing confusing the arming system there, just needs to see a zero.

Not switching the Tx on whilst bad practice wouldnt enable the Rx outputs so no problem there either, try it, you wont see any of the servos move that used to occur on old radio's.

Finally two aircraft flying out of tailgates, what on earth are you guys doing arming aircraft in the back of cars? Where is you safety officers? Aircraft should be restrained when arming on the field or a startup bench.

On 09/05/2019 at 11:53, FrankBullet said:

If it’s anything else like the products he makes, it will over-promise and under-deliver. The battery life will collapse away to naff-all in no time too.

And it will have plastic bits that snap off easily....

Now if they made an electric car like the Henry that would be a different matter ...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, meadowsweet said:

And it will have plastic bits that snap off easily....

Now if they made an electric car like the Henry that would be a different matter ...

It does seem like Dyson products are like Marmite, either loved or hated with no middle ground LOL

2 hours ago, xtrailman said:

Reads like you are a Star Trek fan?

Not particularly, but fully viable, EVs, complete with infrastructure are almost as far from reality!

55 minutes ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

It does seem like Dyson products are like Marmite, either loved or hated with no middle ground LOL

Just like the man himself. 

I've paid the over inflated prices for his products in the past but wouldn't again. Every Dyson vacuum we've had has had at least one  fault in the first couple of months with one just having to be replaced when their engineer dismantled it & just shook his head before quickly taking it out to his van & arranging for a replacement to be delivered. He wouldn't tell me what the issue was only that it was something he couldn't fix. 

They are by no means the only shonky vacuums for sale, but you don't expect that from a premium priced product. 

3 hours ago, Stevan said:

Not particularly, but fully viable, EVs, complete with infrastructure are almost as far from reality!

I agree.

Practical affordable EVs are still “ only a few years away”

I read that in a newspaper 62 years ago😂.

While massive advances in electric motor control and efficiency have been made The Battery it’s charging time and the infrastructure for charging it are still decades away.

Even if we had a decent battery and charger-which we do not-it takes two decades to design and build a base load power station-if we could decide whether it be oil gas coal or nuclear power fired.

I believe that Dyson and others have a way to go before fully electric vehicles are viable in all circumstances, and hybrid vehicles using diesel or petrol are clearly not ideal, so why not use LPG in the interim?

Build a hybrid car that is electrically propelled, and recharged by an internal combustion engine optimised to run at a constant speed on LPG. Now I fully accept that LPG is no longer in favour by the government and supply may be an issue in some areas but there is still potential to exploit its advantages over other fossil fuels until something better is found. At the moment it is also more readily available than say hydrogen for fuel cells ;)

I realise that there have been improvements on other IC engines recently but here are a few facts about LPG that may show bias as they're taken from the Autogas site:-

CO2 - LPG produces 33% less CO2 emissions than petrol and 45% less CO2 than diesel.

NOx - LPG vehicles produce up to 82% less Nitrogen Oxide pollutants than petrol and 99% better than diesel. 

Ozone - LPG cars also produce 95% less ozone than diesel engines

Particulates - An advantage of LPG over both diesel and petrol is the near-absence of particulate matter (PM) emissions.

Conclusion - LPG is superior to petrol and diesel in many critical areas affecting air pollution, so why not embrace it until something better is found? I have run LPG driven cars since 1996; so until battery technology catches up, maybe now would be a good time to take the next step and use LPG in a more efficient manner by running the motor at a constant speed to charge batteries when out of town.

LPG vehicles.jpg

• Like 1

Despite the advantages, LPG as a vehicle fuel has had its time and now waning - I'm not aware of any car makers that offer it now as a factory-fit item, filling stations are getting rid of their LPG pumps and modern cars have nowhere for the tank as they don't have spare wheels any more!

25 minutes ago, Gordon said:

Build a hybrid car that is electrically propelled, and recharged by an internal combustion engine optimised to run at a constant speed

The principal has been used before - the i3 REX certainly did and I think the Chevrolet Volt also had an engine that wasn’t attached to the transmission - similar to a diesel-electric train.

In terms of emissions a diesel

electric vehicle that could work on electric only in-town (say a 50km range on electric only), zero emissions in urban areas and a Diesel engine acting efficiently for the rest of the time.

27 minutes ago, FrankBullet said:

The principal has been used before - the i3 REX certainly did and I think the Chevrolet Volt also had an engine that wasn’t attached to the transmission - similar to a diesel-electric train.

In terms of emissions a diesel

electric vehicle that could work on electric only in-town (say a 50km range on electric only), zero emissions in urban areas and a Diesel engine acting efficiently for the rest of the time.

Or even a turbine-electric as gas turbines are efficient when run at constant speed/power and micro-turbines are now available.

15 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

Or even a turbine-electric as gas turbines are efficient when run at constant speed/power and micro-turbines are now available.

Yes, take a look at the world of radio controlled flying, mini-turbines  are becoming increasingly popular, I'm sure there are other uses for them.

14 minutes ago, jetA1 said:

Yes, take a look at the world of radio controlled flying, mini-turbines  are becoming increasingly popular, I'm sure there are other uses for them.

But being single stage turbines theyre very inefficient. I have built and operated several, a turbine producing around 18 bhp consumes 30 litres per hour. 

40 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

Gas turbines only really compete efficiency wise if the waste heat can be used otherwise they're much worse than any IC engine.

Of course the real answer is revealed here  but the 'experts' will dismiss it out of hand.

Maybe someone on here will give it a go and save the world!

27 minutes ago, Wunny said:

Of course the real answer is revealed here  but the 'experts' will dismiss it out of hand.

Maybe someone on here will give it a go and save the world!

There is of course this brilliant invention too:-

• Haha 1