Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Just released Dyson Electric Car, long wheel base with short overhang a rear you would have thought it would make a good tow car, we'll see. This is or is this the future?

DYSON ELECTRIC CAR.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks good!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it’s anything else like the products he makes, it will over-promise and under-deliver. The battery life will collapse away to naff-all in no time too.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does it clean the roads too?:D

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've had other Dyson products. As Frank says above, they have an over inflated opinion of themselves, are over priced & then they fade away. Wouldn't buy another & that includes cars. 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thats not my experience of Dyson products, theyre very well designed and engineered, work well and are reliable. I will be interested to see the car.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

Thats not my experience of Dyson products, theyre very well designed and engineered, work well and are reliable. I will be interested to see the car.

Mine neither... The motor design and level of suction is excellent...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Guzzilazz said:

Mine neither... The motor design and level of suction is excellent...

They start off ok but every item of theirs we have had has had to have at least one repair. We have 2 of the cordless vacuums & quite frankly both are useless & now run for less than 5 minutes.

We have a cordless & a plug in shark & both are excellent. Long run time & much better all round performance & the plug in one even has headlights so you can see in to the dark corners of your soul......................sorry - house. 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dyson cleaners are great if you want to rebuild it every 6 months - had a Vax (I think) for about 5 years and it just works.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, FrankBullet said:

If it’s anything else like the products he makes, it will over-promise and under-deliver.

 

 

That is not my experience of them.   My two are both years old with one of them being bought from a charity shop.   I keep one upstairs and one down.   The only maintenance they've needed is an occasional roller belt.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Woodie106 said:

We've had other Dyson products. As Frank says above, they have an over inflated opinion of themselves, are over priced & then they fade away. Wouldn't buy another & that includes cars. 

Dyson himself has a very over inflated opinion f himself, a pal of mine in the early days of Dyson used to deal directly with him for the supply of certain parts and my pal always said that he was a big headed sp and so and would never buy any of his products, surprise surprise, he was the first to buy a Dyson sucker upper in our group 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, FrankBullet said:

Dyson cleaners are great if you want to rebuild it every 6 months - had a Vax (I think) for about 5 years and it just works.

Mine has never been rebuilt, the rechargeable in the caravan is 5 years old, the two we have at home are 14 years and 6 years old respectively. ALL of them have been completely trouble free. Most problems seem to stem from users letting the dust collection unit over fill, that then causes issues with the filters and consequentially motor temperatures. Empty before full and theyre great.

2 hours ago, Les Medes said:

Dyson himself has a very over inflated opinion f himself, a pal of mine in the early days of Dyson used to deal directly with him for the supply of certain parts and my pal always said that he was a big headed sp and so and would never buy any of his products, surprise surprise, he was the first to buy a Dyson sucker upper in our group 

Ive met James Dyson, he seemed pretty much straight forward, down to earth and hard working. He built his business from nothing and all of the big boys copied his bagless cleaner format. He's innovative and very talented, my only disappointment is that now some of his production is overseas.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've had a Dyson V10 for about a year, thought long and hard because it was expensive but eventually went for it. It has not disappointed, it has certainly lived up to expectations in terms of both battery and suction performance.

 

On the basis of seeing and using ours, I know of two people who have also bought V10's. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had an early Dyson upright, some of the plastic was flimsy and broke easily but the replacement part was expensive so we dumped it - had a Vax which was rubbish - then had a Miele which has performed flawlessly.

 

Dyson's neighbours in Lincolnshire don't think much of him, so one of them told me.

 

James Dyson seems a bit like Elon Musk but not as extreme.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't understand some of these comments on a Dyson Car ??  Does it need to have suction?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

Dyson's neighbours in Lincolnshire don't think much of him, so one of them told me.

 

From what respect? Ive done some drone related work on his farmland and he is definately well respected both in terms of his pioneering farm techniques and as a company to work for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dyson and Apple have both promised to get in to the electric car market but they will be just one of the many unless they find a solution to the Li-ion battery.

The energy density of these devices is not sufficient and until someone tries something different all electric cars will perform similarly.

Also there is some doubt about the future supply of Lithium to make the cells and the possibility of recycling the material to make new cells is just a pipe dream.

 

Anyway a car powered by a vacuum cleaner motor.... that's been done before. Clive Sinclair and the 3 wheeled car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TedNewman said:

Don't understand some of these comments on a Dyson Car ??  Does it need to have suction?

No, but it's likely to suc..........:P

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

From what respect? Ive done some drone related work on his farmland and he is definately well respected both in terms of his pioneering farm techniques and as a company to work for.

 

I don't know all the detail - I believe part of it is bully-boy tactics to buy properties and expand his estate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

...my only disappointment is that now some of his production is overseas.

 

Is there any?

 

Seems to demonstrate is faith in the UK by offshoring all manufacturing abroad.

 

We had endless issues with our Dyson, mother-in-law did too - perhaps we were the only ones?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't think electric motors will ever replace internal combustion engines

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, rutlandwarrior said:

Don't think electric motors will ever replace internal combustion engines

They didn't think that the ICE would replace the horse, but it did:rolleyes: Steam also got ousted by the ICE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree but the ice was a vast improvement on both whereas the electric motor is born out of a supposedly greener future. I say supposedly because of the battery issue and the not so clean generated electricity 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, rutlandwarrior said:

I agree but the ice was a vast improvement on both whereas the electric motor is born out of a supposedly greener future. I say supposedly because of the battery issue and the not so clean generated electricity 

 

The only real problem with electric cars is batteries. Induction motors have far fewer components and are far more reliable than piston engines. How clean the electricity is to run them on is a matter of choice of generation plant, it can be 100% if it's from a renewable source.

 

I think electric cars will soon be the norm.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Weekend Traveller said:

 

The only real problem with electric cars is batteries. Induction motors have far fewer components and are far more reliable than piston engines. How clean the electricity is to run them on is a matter of choice of generation plant, it can be 100% if it's from a renewable source.

 

I think electric cars will soon be the norm.

A far bigger problem is the charging infrastructure!

We simply do not have enough power stations of any type.

Many streets/areas/towns do not have the capacity for any significant switchover.

Motorway and other service areas do not even come close to having supplies sufficient for charging.

There is no workable solution even in sight for car drivers who do not have parking spaces at home.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...