Sign in to follow this  
slowfox

Caravanstore partial opening.

We bought a new Caravanstore from a dealer who installed it for us.  We wanted the ability to open the awning partially as described in the catalogue and got the dealer to install the wall mounts and we also bought the rafter.  The technician could not get the partial opening to work as suggested in the handbook by unrolling for 6 revolutions and it only worked when unrolled 8 times; this meant that the height is only 1.6m along the front (I'm 1.85m!) and you couldn't open the caravan door without rubbing along the roof of the awning.

The rafter is another problem as the end against the caravanstore is too large to fit into the housing .

The partial opening and the wall mounts and rafter have been a waste of money and time.

The feet need to be mounted higher up on the side of the van. it will then sit higher at the front and the door wont foul on the canopy

On modern vans the door seems higher which will be part of you issue I think. My 2018 swift the caravan store sits on the light above the door, on my last van a 2010 lunar delta it was way up higher above the door and light.

hope this is of some help

Danny

59 minutes ago, slowfox said:

We bought a new Caravanstore from a dealer who installed it for us.  We wanted the ability to open the awning partially as described in the catalogue and got the dealer to install the wall mounts and we also bought the rafter.  The technician could not get the partial opening to work as suggested in the handbook by unrolling for 6 revolutions and it only worked when unrolled 8 times; this meant that the height is only 1.6m along the front (I'm 1.85m!) and you couldn't open the caravan door without rubbing along the roof of the awning.

The rafter is another problem as the end against the caravanstore is too large to fit into the housing .

The partial opening and the wall mounts and rafter have been a waste of money and time.

Does your rafter have a plastic cap over the end which goes to the caravan by any chance? I suspect it does and ironically this has to be removed to allow the rafter to fit into the receiver attached to the bag. This worked for us but I did not like the ‘raw’ end of the rafter potentially coming into contact with the side of the caravan so i bought a plastic ‘bung’ with inside diameter to fit tightly inside the rafter and outside diameter exactly the same as the rafter tube so that one was sorted.

How ironic you should post this re partial opening as only last weekend I was thinking how good this would be. Our issue is that the wall mounts would have to be mounted above the locker doors so would be quite high up side of van. I then started thinking about the stresses exerted on side of the caravan which would i feel be greater the higher up the van wall they were mounted. There is a brace near where either bracket would have to be on our side walls but then I considered the exact issue you have found of the door opening fouling on the angled canopy.

On yours, could you not increase the length of the side supports sufficiently to push up the height of the front and thus clear the door....and your head? 

I don't fit the rafter to the holder its intended to fit. I use the old fashioned rubber suckers that old awnings use and put the rafters to the van wall to keep the bag lifted up off the light so we can see whats going on at night.

I don't use mine like you do, its fine as I can just raise the front to the required height to clear the door way. ( I didn't want to start fitting brackets to the side of my new van

Danny

Capture.PNG

Posted (edited)

As you had the Caravanstore supplied and fitted by the dealer. And you didn’t ask for one that rubs on the door, was too low,  or will not partially open as advertised;  then the supply and fit is faulty and you have rights under CRA.  Go back to the dealer and ask for what you paid for, and if that doesn’t appear, then a refund.

nanamel

Edited by Nanamel