Sign in to follow this  
jrb2446

Number Plate switching

My daughter has asked if they could borrow our caravan   to which are  delighted to say yes.

However as never  been put in this situation before I suddenly realised as they would using their car the number plate on the caravan needs to be switched.

The original plate is very strongly secured by self adhesive strips pads, due to nearly losing it last year so removal in not an easy option.

Screws are not an option

It has been suggested lighter use of pads, or Velcro which seems quite a good idea, obviously the Velcor on the caravan number plate would have to be keep clean

Easy, fit heavy duty Velcro instead. We used to frequently swap plates on the caravan and this was ideal.

Posted (edited)

Long ty-raps if you can get a couple behind the existing plate between the sticky pads used?

Don't forget to check their tug is well matched to tow your Rimini, that their Licence(s) permit them to tow the total train weight, and your caravan insurance permits loaning it to family (most good ones do).

Edited by Rodders53

The white "Sticky Fixers" type of double sided pads don't stick all that well,  but should be ok for a trip out and back.

Simply stick the plate on to your existing one.

A piece of fishing line or fine wire will soon remove it afterwards. 

A bit of heat and/or methylated spirits will soon remove the residue afterwards. 

The Velcro large coin-sized pads do the job perfectly - I've used them for about 15 years.

The secret is to clean the place where you want to fit the pads on the caravan using meths or similar, then warm the area with a hair dryer or hot air gun. Put the pad on the caravan - usually the furry one - and press it firmly home. Then clean and warm the back of the plate, put the hook discs onto the loop (furry) bit and peel the backing off. Withe the plate still warm align it correctly (especially make sure its parallel to the back line of the van) and gently push it onto the sticky backs facing you. Press firmly into place and hold for about 30 secs. You should then be able to remove the plate (with somewhat difficulty) and all pads should stay in place. It is the cleaning and  warming that is the secret.

better would be to have a design that allows easy swopping of number plates.

Current design does not deter thieves so it wont make any difference.

tape over the existing plate and put new number plate in rear window?????

macafee2

as said, check insurance, ours specifically precludes anyone other than us using the caravan....

Posted (edited)

My van plates are fixed with HD Velcro. They do come off but you have to be very gentle to avoid breaking the plate as its a lot stronger than I anticipated.

As a temporary fitment I just stuck a second plate over the first with some sticky fixers when my mate had to tow the van,  same when my car was in dock and I had to borrow a tow car. I just then cleaned it off afterwards. Unless it going to be a really regular occurrence, then just come up with a temporary solution.

My insurance covers it for family and friends as well

Edited by matelodave

We tow our caravan with 2 different vehicles on a regular basis, work van and car, drilled the first number plate and inserted a couple of rivet nuts, stuck this plate to van, drilled second plate to match, first one, second plate screwed to first with two short screws, works a treat. We have used the ty-raps as Rodders 53 suggests, works perfect for the odd occasion.

Mark

Posted (edited)

Hi I’ve used very strong elastic bands in the past providing the original plates are not secured at the very ends.

Duncan 

Edited by DUNCAN123

30 minutes ago, Sea&Sand said:

I had these on my previous general trailer for rubbish [rather than a rubbish trailer, because it really was quite useful ...]. Forgot to remove the brackets when the old trailer went to the trailer crematorium [aka the woodstove]. Thanks for the link!

Steve

A couple of postie's discarded elastic bands?

5 minutes ago, Tigger said:

A couple of postie's discarded elastic bands?

They are bio-degradable over a long term so make sure they're fresh.

2 hours ago, Sea&Sand said:

When I was working we eventually had these fitted on all "our" trailers, it made life so much easier than rooting around for bits of string ( I had to use my bootlaces once) or something else to use. ;)

On 07/05/2019 at 18:39, macafee2 said:

better would be to have a design that allows easy swopping of number plates.

Current design does not deter thieves so it wont make any difference.

tape over the existing plate and put new number plate in rear window?????

macafee2

How do you light it, leave a table lamp on?

25 minutes ago, Towtug said:

How do you light it, leave a table lamp on?

Especially difficult if your van doesn't have a rear window.

On 07/05/2019 at 17:47, jrb2446 said:

My daughter has asked if they could borrow our caravan   to which are  delighted to say yes.

However as never  been put in this situation before I suddenly realised as they would using their car the number plate on the caravan needs to be switched.

The original plate is very strongly secured by self adhesive strips pads, due to nearly losing it last year so removal in not an easy option.

Screws are not an option

It has been suggested lighter use of pads, or Velcro which seems quite a good idea, obviously the Velcor on the caravan number plate would have to be keep clean

I use Commercial strength Velcro and have a couple of reels in the garage that I use successfully 

12 hours ago, Sea&Sand said:

I had these on my caravan for ten years with no issues when I had two tow cars but the screws need to be put in with a sealant . 

Dave

13 hours ago, Sea&Sand said:

Yes had those on a club trailer where various members towed it.

Just the job.

On 07/05/2019 at 17:52, thebriars said:

Easy, fit heavy duty Velcro instead. We used to frequently swap plates on the caravan and this was ideal.

+ 1

I have one of these in white fixed to the back of the caravan with tape. I glue magnets to the number plates and then changing the plate is easy.

https://www.towingandtrailers.com/product/trailer-parts/chassis-body-parts/body-chassis-fittings/number-plate-clips-2/no-plate-holder-flush-fitting-2/

Not a problem I've encountered as in this country caravans have their own VRN plate, how about using something like this.............. https://shop.borussia.de/shop/en_EN/Accessoires/Car & Bicycleaccessories/Licence%20Plate%20Holder-166320.html

I have theses on both our cars and the caravan, they just flip open and allow you to swap plates.

1 hour ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Not a problem I've encountered as in this country caravans have their own VRN plate, how about using something like this.............. https://shop.borussia.de/shop/en_EN/Accessoires/Car & Bicycleaccessories/Licence%20Plate%20Holder-166320.html

I have theses on both our cars and the caravan, they just flip open and allow you to swap plates.

But then we'd all have to declare our love of dodgy german football teams...................:P

23 minutes ago, Woodie106 said:

But then we'd all have to declare our love of dodgy german football teams...................:P

Dodgy!!! Dodgy!!! how very dare you Sir?  :o

• Haha 1