Volvo Xc90

Mozilla

Guest Hobbybod

Mike, I drove the XC 70 4WD Geartronic (Auto) diesel (163bhp) over the w/e, during a Volvo 'Freedom Drive' event, and I found it notably sluggish and unresponsive. On windy roads it was for ever changing gear and even then, the pick-up of speed was . . . . sluggish.

The 4WD seemed pretty good from the handling point of view, but whether it's that and/or the gearbox that saps the power/torque I don't know; very disappointing I thought. Put a 'van on the back, and progress would be sedate to say the least.

Soo. . I thought I'd try the V70 diesel, manual and no 4WD, and that was a far better proposition; much more responsive, even picking up in 5th at 30mph OK!!

So my conclusion was that it's the Geartronic box and 4WD that degrades the performance. I would imagine that the XC90 could be worse as it's heavier!!

I have since heard other criticisms of the Geartronic box, and didn't realise that Volvo do a more ordinary Auto, but I didn't try that.

Go to the Volvo website and get a Freedom Drive test drive.

Thanks for that reply Hobbybod.

My shortlist at the moment consists of the Volvo, The BMW X5 or the new Discovery. I want a diesel to get a fuel consumption figure that is at least in double figures (ok, an exageration but you know what I mean) and I fancy an auto for the usual reasons.

I have a Volvo dealer in my town, so I'll pay them a visit I think.

Thanks again.

Mike

Thanks for that reply Hobbybod.

My shortlist at the moment consists of the Volvo, The BMW X5 or the new Discovery. I want a diesel to get a fuel consumption figure that is at least in double figures (ok, an exageration but you know what I mean) and I fancy an auto for the usual reasons.

I have a Volvo dealer in my town, so I'll pay them a visit I think.

Thanks again.

Mike

7652[/snapback]

Or you could perhaps look at the Mercedes ML270. I bought one in Sept 03 with auto 'box. It pulls my Bailey Senator Oklahoma with no effort whatsoever. Auto is very good with no "hunting" between gears. I have averaged 25mpg over 16,000 miles including c. 3,000 towing miles. Solo, I tend to get nearer 30mpg and I could get a lot more if I eased the right foot up a little! I set the cruise control to 75mph and get on with it.

I did look at the X5 and the XC90. Both had quite high boot floors, which the dog might struggle with when older, and not a lot of luggage space, esp the X5. I also wasn't keen on the folding down boot lid - it makes it awkward to reach the forward part of the boot. I previously had a TD5 Discovery which towed well, once it reached the torque band. It was very slow to pick up speed when negotiating a junction. And it needed new track rod ends before passing its first MOT - not impressive.

Mlamont

I have a S60 with the D5 diesel engine which is the exact same engine as fitted in the XC90. I find it is brilliant towing (and solo) and will maintain 60mph in 5th gear on most motorway inclines, including Shap and Beattock on the M6 to Scotland. The XC90 is some 600kg (2108Kg against 1515Kg) heavier than mine and this will obviously affect performance, but then the heavier kerb weight allows you to tow a heavier load.

Brian

Guest john1215

I presently have a Passat 4WD and just before getting that I had a Passat 2 wheel drive, both TDi's (why 2 so close together) it's a long story that the dealer doesn't want repeated. ..Any way the 2 wheel drive TDi was absolutely brilliant and at least 15 mph quicker in all gears than the 4WD. The 4WD is still quick and gutsy but the extra weight and mechical link took their toll on the power output and the consumption.

john1215

If you are looking at the Volvo - go and try the Towcar Class Winner instead - VW Touareg. Its VW's best kept secret, and if you can't afford the 5 litre V10, then the 2. 5TDi or 3. 0V6 TDi are more than adequate!

140kg Noseweight limit, 3500kg overall limit, and 85% is still at least 2000kgs !!

I have the little 2. 5TDi auto, and it ain't sluggish (unlike the Volvo), or as noisy, or as cramped inside.

Test drove them on the same day and honestly cannot understand why the Volvo is so popular (except it has 7 seats).

Also, you have to pay a premium price for the volvo, or wait a long time to get it. ...

You pays your money, and takes your fancy!