Sign in to follow this  
Grumpy Auld Smeesh

Mathewsons Auctions, Thornton-le-Dale

Been watching yon car Auction programme on the Yesterday Channel about the Car Auction Family Mathewsons in Thornton Dale . Looks absolutely stunning and I have noticed there is a lovely wee caravan site Overbrook Caravan Park right outside it. So next trip I'm offski. Just love the old classics that are getting auctioned some in excellent daily use condition at very affordable prices. Alway's thought a Classic Car would be out of GAS's reach but definitely worth a visit to do some investigating. Also taking my Steed so would imagine plenty of cycle routes to Whitby and Scraborough. Anybody had the pleasure in staying at Overbrook Caravan Park ? Would be interesting to know your experience...

GAS ...B)

• Like 1

Not stayed there, nor know anyone that has..but gets some good reports Googling.

We normally stay at Fox & Rabbit at Lockton a couple of miles out of town.....yes there is a pub there.

geoff

• Thanks 1

Not stayed there but is very popular.   We stay at a CL a little further outside Thornton le dale.  There is a CS just behind Mathewson’s but as not a member of CCC never been 

Have also been watching the programme - really good.   I love that area, one of our favourites 

• Thanks 1

Brings back memories - my grandparents lived in Thornton-le-Dale from 1978 to 2015, a trip to Mathewsons was like a little treasure trove, I think the Auction side is relatively recent.

Lovely village and many happy memories.

• Thanks 1

Hi GAS

Stayed there last week. Overbrook was very quiet with plenty of spare pitches, most likely because in a shoulder period between Easter and May Day. Very hard working and pleasant owners. On-site facilities are excellent. Site is a disused railway station on the closed line between Scarborough and Pickering.Thornton Dale is very picturesque and only one of many other sights in a lovely part of Yorkshire.

If you have any interest in heritage railways do not miss a journey on the North York Moors Railway from Pickering. 

Road cycling over the North York Moors can be very challenging (see last week's Tour de Yorkshire, stage 3). The vale of Pickering has lots of interesting cycle routes when away from the main roads. Dalby forest just to the north of Thornton Dale is excellent for off road cycling including specific downhill courses.

John. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks John. Yes taking on with North Yorkshire think its a beautiful area but with Glencoe  only 2 hours up the way regards to 4 hrs down the way I always seem to head north. Time to get used to bit of distance once again and visit this area more often... 🤔

GAS..... 😎 

We have had more holidays in north Yorkshire than anywhere in the country but this year did the extra mileage up to the Scottish Highlands and are left mouth open at the spectacular scenery.

2 minutes ago, LongTimeCaravaner said:

We have had more holidays in north Yorkshire than anywhere in the country but this year did the extra mileage up to the Scottish Highlands and are left mouth open at the spectacular scenery.

I know how lucky I am LTC to have "Gods Garden" only a couple of hours up the road. Kintyre is another picturesque secret but only one road down and one road back which tends to puts off our southern brothers. Trust me its well worth another three or four hours which can be broke up with an overnight stop. Looking forward to my trip as this is new country to me. Have been to Scarborough and Whitby in the past but this trip will only be for me doing Grumpy Stuff . Car Museums mixed with Bike and Beer ..... :D

GAS ...

Nice around there GAS, we were nearby at Hutton-le-Hole over the weekend, nice pub doing nice meals and good beer, although at £4 a pint we didn't drink much.

Beer is cheaper in Pickering than the Crown in HLH!

geoff

• Haha 1

Just a thought if anyone is going to Mathewsons....their Auctions are held every month but not on the same days, so there could be 5 or 6 weeks between them. So check their website.

The Museum,which used to be at the garage, is open most days but a phone call would confirm...very reasonable @ £2 a head.

geoff

Posted (edited)

I just caught up with one of these programmes - very good and without the "banter" and lunacy that most of this type exhibit. The one I watched had a completely rotten Cooper S that went for £20,000. The buyers reckon it would be north of £50,000 fully restored although I can't believe much of the original would be left.

Mini-Cooper-auction-1040982.jpg

Edited by iansoady
  • Haha 1

You can catch all the episodes on UKTV play...

geoff

4 hours ago, iansoady said:

I just caught up with one of these programmes - very good and without the "banter" and lunacy that most of this type exhibit. The one I watched had a completely rotten Cooper S that went for £20,000. The buyers reckon it would be north of £50,000 fully restored although I can't believe much of the original would be left.

Mini-Cooper-auction-1040982.jpg

Ian this doesn't make those of us who gave away a 1071 Cooper S or MGBGTs any better :(

However the BIL has a 1960s top spec merc which as been cocooned since it was a baby and that's worth scrap value :unsure:

17 hours ago, shipbroker said:

You can catch all the episodes on UKTV play...

geoff

Yes, that's where I found it. I like the fact that they strip the ads out unlike some catch-up services.....

44 minutes ago, iansoady said:

Yes, that's where I found it. I like the fact that they strip the ads out unlike some catch-up services.....

Yes that is a real treat isn't it!

geoff