Sign in to follow this  
StaticOwner

How Many Defects Did Your New Caravan Come With?

1 minute ago, StaticOwner said:

I would say the dealer who your buy the van off is liable for the whole unit and it is down to them to worry where the parts came from.

I think that like myself Andy was referring to the manufacturer of caravans and not the dealer!

6 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

I think that like myself Andy was referring to the manufacturer of caravans and not the dealer!

What's with exclamation marks?

A fault is a fault that by the sale of goods acts it would be initially  the responsibility of the dealer. If the the dealer does not fix then it goes to the manufacturer to fix, whether it is a brake or a window or something else. 

17 minutes ago, StaticOwner said:

What's with exclamation marks?

A fault is a fault that by the sale of goods acts it would be initially  the responsibility of the dealer. If the the dealer does not fix then it goes to the manufacturer to fix, whether it is a brake or a window or something else.

Sale of Goods Act does not apply to goods bought after October 2015.  It is now the Consumer Rights Act 2015 which offers far better protection that the old SOGA.

18 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

Sale of Goods Act does not apply to goods bought after October 2015.  It is now the Consumer Rights Act 2015 which offers far better protection that the old SOGA.

Agreed, I'm just used to saying the other one. You are factually correct.

The point I was TRYING to make was that it’s a bit unfair to say that xxxxxx manufacturer is known for a lot of “faults” when it’s actually something they have no control over like brakes, fridges, cookers etc. As opposed to what they DO have control over, such as leaking joints, cracking panels etc. 

Its a bit like saying Audi’s are all rubbish because a lot of owners have had trouble with the JVC radio that’s fitted! (JVC was the first name I thought of. Other radio makes are available before some pedant points that out)

Andy

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

The point I was TRYING to make was that it’s a bit unfair to say that xxxxxx manufacturer is known for a lot of “faults” when it’s actually something they have no control over like brakes, fridges, cookers etc. As opposed to what they DO have control over, such as leaking joints, cracking panels etc. 

Its a bit like saying Audi’s are all rubbish because a lot of owners have had trouble with the JVC radio that’s fitted! (JVC was the first name I thought of. Other radio makes are available before some pedant points that out)

Andy

It's all a generalisation. I don't think there is a specific manufacturer who makes bad caravans. I think its pot luck if you get a bad one.  My original post was how many defects did you caravan come with? That's all I'm interested in. If i bought a Baily caravan from a dealer and the fridge was broke, I would expect the dealer to fix it. If the caravan had 30 defects, again I would expect them to fix it. I'm just trying to figure out at what point do people turn round and reject the product. I like to think if you buy a brand new caravan it comes defect free, worst case scenario minimal defects and a few door alignments.

I have spent the last 4 years visiting sites and show rooms and all I seen is decent quality caravans on display.  I see warranties as a method to repair items that fail in use......not items that have been installed shoddily due to poor workmanship.

I'm not aware that our Coachman came with any defects.  Little problems have occurred over the last 5 years but these have been few and minor and have been attended to by our dealer.  

When purchasing a new caravan, your contract is with your supplying dealer so it pays to have a good dealer who will treat you fairly if problems occur.  

The caravan manufacturer is insulated  from dealing  with all but the most severe structural problems by the way the industry works.  

The fact that a caravan contains parts which are made by lots of different suppliers does not really matter to the owner.  A good supplying dealer is the key to happy caravan ownership.

John.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Leedslad said:

I'm not aware that our Coachman came with any defects.  Little problems have occurred over the last 5 years but these have been few and minor and have been attended to by our dealer.  

When purchasing a new caravan, your contract is with your supplying dealer so it pays to have a good dealer who will treat you fairly if problems occur.  

The caravan manufacturer is insulated  from dealing  with all but the most severe structural problems by the way the industry works.  

The fact that a caravan contains parts which are made by lots of different suppliers does not really matter to the owner.  A good supplying dealer is the key to happy caravan ownership.

John.

Cheers John for the write up. What I have gathered from a number of forums is that, whether you buy a static or a touring caravan it is not the norm that it comes with defects. There are caravans of both types that come with minimal defects and are rectified by the manufacturer through the dealer or the dealer itself.

22 hours ago, StaticOwner said:

Cheers John for the write up. What I have gathered from a number of forums is that, whether you buy a static or a touring caravan it is not the norm that it comes with defects. There are caravans of both types that come with minimal defects and are rectified by the manufacturer through the dealer or the dealer itself.

Just to add it is very seldom or very unusual that a manufacturer will rectify any defects before a caravan is delivered to a dealer.  I doubt very much if any manufacturer does a quality check on anything they manufacture as they prefer to leave that to the dealer or the consumer.  Much cheaper that way!

A P.D.I. had not been carried out on our 'van before we picked it up. How do I know, I found 2 x £1 coins under one of the seats. Result  :lol:

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Just to add it is very seldom or very unusual that a manufacturer will rectify any defects before a caravan is delivered to a dealer.  I doubt very much if any manufacturer does a quality check on anything they manufacture as they prefer to leave that to the dealer or the consumer.  Much cheaper that way!

Doesn't surprise me. I guess to see what they can get away with.

Posted (edited)

958765714_Showerpipe.thumb.jpg.41aba4db7a466b15bf8ce787f5e21fec.jpg

Shower waste pipe not connected, sent Mr Hibbs and dealer the photo, Mr Hibbs passed it onto his production team and said dealer would provide a reply, he never apologised on behalf of the company, dealer said it must have come off during travelling home, as they had checked all water systems at PDI, I doubted it as the taps were dry, shower base was dry and no sounds of water in the pipe system, never in 40+ years of caravanning, have I had such a poor explanation, I had to cut the pipe to get it fitted..

Checked chassis bolts and A frame as I had problems on previous Coachman, and found some bolts were not at correct  torque, all resolved in minutes.

Edited by kiaboy

BTW if you rejected a caravan because of the seriousness of the faults or number of faults and the rejection is accepted, they simply sell the caravan to another dealership without doing any repairs!  The caravan with all its faults is then sold on to some unsuspecting buyer.  In our case in parts alone, the cost exceeded £3000, but the caravan was on a dealer's forecourt the day after they took it away!  It was sold the same week.

16 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

BTW if you rejected a caravan because of the seriousness of the faults or number of faults and the rejection is accepted, they simply sell the caravan to another dealership without doing any repairs!  The caravan with all its faults is then sold on to some unsuspecting buyer.  In our case in parts alone, the cost exceeded £3000, but the caravan was on a dealer's forecourt the day after they took it away!  It was sold the same week.

That doesn't sound good, again selling it to the person who makes the least fuss.