Sign in to follow this  
StaticOwner

How Many Defects Did Your New Caravan Come With?

Hello, I'm new to the forum so shoot me down if I do something wrong or have posted in the wrong section. I'm used to forums so can handle the criticism.

I'm interested in collecting information on the condition these brand new caravans are sold in. You find that you buy a van and then after a week of ownership you have found a number of defects.

The question is: When you bought your new caravan how many defects did it come with?

Posted (edited)

EDIT: Did not realize it was about static caravans.

Edited by AndersG

14 minutes ago, AndersG said:

You must have scored there..... one of the lucky few.

17 minutes ago, AndersG said:

EDIT: Did not realize it was about static caravans.

To be fare caravans in general would cover it.

Posted (edited)

None, nor on the previous two. That's not to say that things haven broken - mainly stuff from external suppliers like the fridge door catch, a Remis rooflight mechanism and latterly the Thetford toilet pump but the vans themselves have been ok.

Edited by matelodave

43 minutes ago, matelodave said:

None, nor on the previous two. That's not to say that things haven broken - mainly stuff from external suppliers like the fridge door catch, a Remis rooflight mechanism and latterly the Thetford toilet pump but the vans themselves have been ok.

Looks like you have had a decent dealer. Who supplied yours? I'm on the look out for a new  caravan.

On a 2016 caravan bought brand new there were over 50 faults.  Of those 50 faults, quite a number were repeat faults.

On our 2018 caravan from the same manufacturer, couple of minor faults not worth mentioning.

9 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

On a 2016 caravan bought brand new there were over 50 faults.  Of those 50 faults, quite a number were repeat faults.

On our 2018 caravan from the same manufacturer, couple of minor faults not worth mentioning.

Did you they just carry out the repairs or did you get a replacement van?

30 minutes ago, StaticOwner said:

Looks like you have had a decent dealer. Who supplied yours? I'm on the look out for a new  caravan.

One in Essex near Colchester, one in Suffolk near Saxmundham and the last one in the midlands near Atherstone (all Baiey's BTW)

New Bailey delivered at the end of January. Zero faults other than a cupboard catch needing re-aligning which took me about a minute.

Did I hear someone at the back saying “So far”? 

Andy

4 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

New Bailey delivered at the end of January. Zero faults other than a cupboard catch needing re-aligning which took me about a minute.

Andy

There are those who would have considered that a fault and taken it back to be rectified:(

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Andy

Hahaha are they known for failures later in life

2 minutes ago, StaticOwner said:

Hahaha are they known for failures later in life

No more than any other make, I just wanted to pre-empt anyone else saying it! 

Andy

4 hours ago, StaticOwner said:

Teesside Caravans at Thornaby and Ropers at Catterick seem to have quite good reputations.

New van bought end of February (Bailey Cartagena) , 0 faults.

3 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

No more than any other make, I just wanted to pre-empt anyone else saying it! 

Andy

Interestingly most people who slag off Baileys have never actually owned one:ph34r:

• Haha 1

Are Bailey caravans improving in build quality now ? , just interested as I like the look of the Unicorn 4 Vigo . I do think they have some good ideas , central gas bottle leaving more space for longer seats at the front & the pre wired motor mover being two of them.

From delivery, the awning light had a few diodes that had failed plus something else which I can’t remember but was equally minor, both sorted at the first service as they weren’t worth dealing with before that. 

I am on my 4th Bailey since 2004 the last 3 I did not find any defects that requires the dealer to rectified, my newest one which I pick up in February is back at the dealer today to have a look at squealing brake which is a know fault on many caravan.

I would just point out that squealing brakes are not (cannot) be blamed on the caravan manufacturers. They “buy in” the axles etc in good faith from a reputable supplier (Alko) and can have no influence, or control, over what Alko decide to purchase to make up their axles.

Andy

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

I would just point out that squealing brakes are not (cannot) be blamed on the caravan manufacturers. They “buy in” the axles etc in good faith from a reputable supplier (Alko) and can have no influence, or control, over what Alko decide to purchase to make up their axles.

Andy

Andy, I understand what you are saying but it is still a defect with the caravan. when I worked at Ford we accept the defect as a Ford concern we don't expect the customers to blame each individual component supplier

Edited by oldboy

Willerby Skye static,

In the first year from New, all done under warranty:-

Interior wall panel split on receipt of van, had to be replaced.

Leaking kitchen sink, fixed on second attempt.

Patio doors had to have hinge screws tightened as they were totally loose and doors needed aligned.

Drawer that was seriously tight to open and close needed fixed.

Shower pole and hose needed replaced as they were rusting.

Entrance door handle paint peeling back to base metal needed replaced.

Now just out of warranty I notice the toilet roll holders are lightly pitted with corrosion.

Exterior door stops are showing some rust.

I like the Willerby layout - but I could'nt recommend them

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Woodentop said:

Teesside Caravans at Thornaby and Ropers at Catterick seem to have quite good reputations.

I would agree, but avoid the other one like the plague.

There's defects and there's defects. There is a whole world of difference in a screw coming loose and the roof starting to collapse after the first month's use.  Saying it had, say,  10 defects is really meaningless.

Edited by thebriars

11 hours ago, thebriars said:

I would agree, but avoid the other one like the plague.

There's defects and there's defects. There is a whole world of difference in a screw coming loose and the roof starting to collapse after the first month's use.  Saying it had, say,  10 defects is really meaningless.

If you had a court case and you needed to generalise how many defect something had I would saying an overall figure of 10 would be fine.  I'm at 80+ items and counting.

13 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Andy

Is there any part of the caravan that they do not buy in?  After all caravans are not "manufactured" they are assembled from bits and pieces from third parties.

Just now, StaticOwner said:

If you had a court case and you needed to generalise how many defect something had I would saying an overall figure of 10 would be fine.  I'm at 80+ items and counting.

At that point you should be rejecting the caravan especially if any are repeat faults within the first 6 months!

Just now, Durbanite said:

Is there any part of the caravan that they do not buy in?  After all caravans are not "manufactured" they are assembled from bits and pieces from third parties.

I would say the dealer who your buy the van off is liable for the whole unit and it is down to them to worry where the parts came from.