Sign in to follow this  
JNH

Hi all, am I mad?

You will struggle to find a trader with stock priced at what you want to pay, they tend to stick to newer stuff because there is more profit in them. Remember they have to factor in a decent profit along with the possibility  of having to pay for some warranty work out of it. 

As for a motor mover then the answer isn’t clear cut. A lot depends on both how confident (and more importantly proficient! ) you are at reversing a car and caravan combination. As you don’t yet have a B + E  licence it will be a steep learning curve. Also some sites are, shall we say, a little “tight” on manoeuvring space so reversing a large caravan can prove tricky so a motormover does make that a lot easier.

Personally I would always have a mover because manhandling over a tonne and a half of caravan, on anything other than flat smooth tarmac, (and very few campsites are thus equipped) is NOT an easy matter ESPECIALLY if it’s a twin axle as they cannot be “rotated” about the two wheels by hand, you have to keep  “shunting” backwards and forwards.  A mover also gives you Millimetre positional control which is exceedingly difficult to achieve whilst hitched up. Levelling systems are heavy and, whilst they do have their benefits the vast majority of us manage easily without. Of the two I would ALWAYS go for a mover, I’ve tried moving my single axle 1550kg van by hand, it’s not easy. 

Andy

10 hours ago, sleepyfolk said:

Yes it’s a router with a SIM card in, details here http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Devices/Huawei/HomeFi?memory=0&colour=Black I already have the box so I was able to get the unlimited data deal for £20 - it’s £22 if you haven’t got the box it looks like, reception has been very good we’ve found with 3. The router is mains powered but actually runs off a 12v power supply so you can just get a 12v stabilised supply and run it off the van if you need to.

Not sure if it was you that mentioned this in another thread, but we have taken up the offer as we use the Firestick in the caravan.  We think it is a good deal for unlimited data, text and calls!

15 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Not sure if it was you that mentioned this in another thread, but we have taken up the offer as we use the Firestick in the caravan.  We think it is a good deal for unlimited data, text and calls!

Might have been, I’m always banging on about something! I was very pleased with the deal, prices have certainly come down for unlimited mobile broadband over the past few years

Self levelling only adds 17kg as the old steadies are removed so not as bad as you might think, we also thought a mover would be essential but twin axles move and react so slowly and deliberately I soon got used it and decided against it, my advice would be to go and have a play on an empty retail park and see how you get on

I used the family holiday caravan when I went to work on building of Sizewell and Seven bridge, in summer awning was up and family joined me, in winter awning packed away as if the wind gets up while at work it can wreck a caravan.

I used a 16 foot caravan, just about big enough in summer, in winter just small enough to heat, had to modify fan heater as 1000W and 500W as electric supply originally 6A then arranged a 10A supply. The problem was supply to site, only 100A split phase, so 200A in all.

I have used caravan for holiday in winter and had a 16A supply and the duel fuel central heating was A1 on electric, but that site was not selected to be close to work, in Bristol my caravan was inside a barn, with 8 others, not maybe best for fire but a lot warmer and no muck walked in, expect being hidden from council was main point!

I felt caravan was better than the workers hotel, but found cooking the main problem as before the ready meal and with fridge only buy a pack of burgers and one was eating burgers for 3 days. Even today freezer compartment in fridge is not big enough, so look at where you can put a 32 litre freezer unless canteen at work.

We're semi permanent at the moment and the freezer is a problem. We have a 34 liter in the awning to help the small freezer in the caravan but both of them are constantly full!

We had one of these.      A Waeco three way fridge which was very efficient.  Ours did not have the gas option so was kept in the awning on 240v.  It is very effective and keeping food frozen in the bottom and food very cool at the top but not frozen.

I have one of those (It’s Dometic not Waeco!) And it’s the model that connects to onboard gas rather than a small cylinder.

HOWEVER I would point out that these items are NOT freezers and are not sold as such, they are marketed as three way (240v 12v And gas) FRIDGES.

It may be that in cooler climates they will keep frozen food APPEARING to be frozen, but as freezers are meant to be around -15 to -18°C and these fridges will never get down anywhere NEAR that you are risking some “nasties” developing on your “frozen” food without your knowledge.

I can confirm they are EXCELLENT fridges on 230v , if a bit bulky. Wouldn’t travel without ours.

One thing I have discovered with them is that it’s ESSENTIAL to keep them very Level or they don’t work!!

Andy

15 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

I have one of those (It’s Dometic not Waeco!) And it’s the model that connects to onboard gas rather than a small cylinder.

HOWEVER I would point out that these items are NOT freezers and are not sold as such, they are marketed as three way (240v 12v And gas) FRIDGES.

It may be that in cooler climates they will keep frozen food APPEARING to be frozen, but as freezers are meant to be around -15 to -18°C and these fridges will never get down anywhere NEAR that you are risking some “nasties” developing on your “frozen” food without your knowledge.

I can confirm they are EXCELLENT fridges on 230v , if a bit bulky. Wouldn’t travel without ours.

One thing I have discovered with them is that it’s ESSENTIAL to keep them very Level or they don’t work!!

Andy

Our 2 way Waeco Coolfun 40 was mainly used only on 240v and even in the summer when it got hot in the awning, it kept the food on the bottom frozen.  We sold it a couple of years ago and now regret the decision as the price of the newer ones since Dometic took over Waeco has sky rocketed! 

We paid about £130 for ours from a dealer in 2005 and now the same one on Amazon is about £300.  If you buy the current model size wise it is now over £700.  :(

As one who has lived for 11 years in a  Abbey Spectrum 535, in + 40s and - 20 C. Fridges and Freezer are not designed to be used under canvas, they will stop working at low ambient temperatures, your food could de-frost and then as the temperature warms up the next day it will start to re-freeze, you will not know, some are now available that can be used in outbuildings and garages, but these places are better insulated than a piece of cotton. Waste pipes are not generally insulated, In my experience its a waste of time trying to do it, far better is to put a couple of teaspoons of table salt down the plug holes at night, or at the last time of using, ie after morning shower. You will, I assume be on mains most of the time so it shouldn't be too bad, we just had gennys. As you can see you are not mad, or at least if you are you are in good company.

18 hours ago, sleepyfolk said:

Might have been, I’m always banging on about something! I was very pleased with the deal, prices have certainly come down for unlimited mobile broadband over the past few years

Self levelling only adds 17kg as the old steadies are removed so not as bad as you might think, we also thought a mover would be essential but twin axles move and react so slowly and deliberately I soon got used it and decided against it, my advice would be to go and have a play on an empty retail park and see how you get on

I think that rather depends on whether or not the towing vehicle  can be kept hooked up .  Once unhitched a twin axle will definitely be harder to position by hand.  It is physically impossible to put my single axle caravan onto its storage pitch with my car and I'd need a gang of helpers to do it manually.  It's easy with the mover 

• Like 1