Sign in to follow this  
Dan Caravan Man

Hyundai Santa Fe 2016+

Has anyone got a Hyundai Santa Fe? How do you find it as a towcar?

Do you have the Automatic or the Manual?

How does an Automatic tow compared to a Manual? The second hand autos now appear to be cheaper than the manuals, maybe as they have higher car tax and less mpg?

As a 'sister' car owner I notice what other people are driving and there are dozens of Santa Fe caravanners...the two I know are both very happy, one is an older automatic the other is a 2017 manual.

geoff

• Like 1

We have a 66 reg manual,it has now done 18,000miles including plenty of towing.

It tows our Bailey Cadiz very well. Plenty of power and reasonable economy. We have seen around 40 solo and 26 plus towing.

It will pull happily in 6th on flat with a drop down to 5th occasionally. Is very smooth running and quiet.

It is very stable and has self levelling suspension which keeps it pretty level. 

It has been very reliable, the only fault being  a sticking auto hold switch( for parking brake) which I freed but dealer replaced. Build quality is superb.

Aftersales service has been excellent.unlimited mileage 5 year warranty.

We have a limited edition Wiggins model which is the Premium SE with more extras! My wife loves the heated / cooled seats and heated steering wheel in winter! Cooled seats excellent in summer as they are leather so stop you sticking to them !

They also have a full size alloy spare wheel,the latest model has a space saver .

We test drove an auto ,very nice but did not tow with it.

We changed a 2012cSorento for this one, same car under the skin but the deal was better. We got a big discount and better trade in.

In this months CMC magazine there are big discounts on new Santa Fe through club.

• Like 1

I had a 2012 manual for 5 yrs., and it gave great service without even a hiccup. It had self levelling suspension, which was a known problem on some at around that age, so I changed it to a 2015 (in 2017) auto (standard suspension). Must admit, I haven't noticed any difference in the ride, and the car dips only very slightly in the rear with the Challenger hooked on. The auto is definitely a much more relaxing drive, solo or towing, and my preference would most definitely be auto. Either way, it's a really good tow car.

• Like 1

I have a 2016 Kia Sorento auto, which is very similar.  Its a good towcar.  Self levelling suspension keeps everything level.

I've read of a few people burning out the clutch, so I'd go auto.  The real life MPG is very similar.  On the Kia's you also get autohold, which keeps the car still on the brakes and you can take your foot off - makes town centres a breeze.

I tow in 'sport', so mostly in fifth.  When I've put it into sixth the mpg seems about the same, but in sport there's less switching between gears when you reach a slight incline.

I don't know about the Hyundai, but on the 2015-2017 kia, only the kx3 and kx4 got android auto/apple car play as an in-service upgrade.  Later on, all the models got it.  You can tell - if the car has a voice button on the steering wheel it'll take AA/ACP.

• Like 1

Hi we’ve got a 66 plate premium manual. 

Tows our Bailey Olympus 624 no problems.

Remember that only 7 seaters get self levelling suspension. The dealer we bought ours from reckoned that a lot of Santa Fe owners are holding onto their cars as the new model is very expensive.

Duncan

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, DUNCAN123 said:

Hi we’ve got a 66 plate premium manual. 

Tows our Bailey Olympus 624 no problems.

Remember that only 7 seaters get self levelling suspension. The dealer we bought ours from reckoned that a lot of Santa Fe owners are holding onto their cars as the new model is very expensive.

Duncan

There was an element of that when the mk3 was introduced in 2012 - Hyundai seems to ramp up both the prices and quality each generation - I couldn't say if the quality justifies the price.