CampingFieber

Hello from Germany

Hello everone,

Thank you for adding us. We (my husband Uwe and me, Sarah, and our dog Rocky) have just received our new caravan Knaus Suedwind 460 EU, model 2019. We ordered it at a Trade Fair in Duesseldorf, Germany last year in August and received it about a month ago. Our model was not exhibited on the Trade Fair, so we ordered it just according to the pictures and descriptions from the catalogue and price list. When we received it, we were a little bit shocked, because instead of a U-shape lounge, which was shown on all the pictures of the floor plan, we just had two benches opposite of each other. When we asked our retailer why they changed the seating area, the vendor replied that Knaus refers to their terms and conditions, where they say "subject to printing errors, spelling mistakes, etc."

I just wanted to know if any of you have experienced something like this before. I already asked in a German forum, but apparently everybody received his/her caravan just the way they ordered it or nobody wants to Talk about that. Don't get us wrong: we are not unhappy - we really like our caravan, but when you order a U-shaped lounge and get something else, it's a bit disappointing. It's as if you order a five-door car and get a three-door car and the seller tells you "Haven't you read in our terms and conditions? Subject to errors...." Apparently Knaus, just as any other producer of caravans, is on a high horse because of the rising sales quantities worldwide, so they do not feel obliged to even answer our retailer.

If you want to take a look at our caravan: we made a video of it with a short review (I have added English subtitles):

Have a nice evening,

Sarah (& Uwe)

In Britain a customer would not have  accepted the caravan and not paid for it. But you have already accepted yours.

Posted (edited)

This was our only choice: to resign from the sales contract. However, this is our first caravan ever and we did not want to have waited 7 months in vain. Also, if we opted to not accept this caravan, we would have to start searching for our model (with air conditioning, with mover, with autarkic set) at a similar (but probably higher) price (the air conditioning unit was offered at a third of the regular price, but only if you ordered it ON the trade fair (not afterwards)). That is why we accepted it. Otherwise we would not have been able to go on holiday this summer.

Edited by CampingFieber
Typo

I now understand so thank you for the explanation.

Does it happen in the UK, that customers do not accept their ordered caravan because the specifications of it are different than ordered? I‘m just curious...

Yes. In UK we have the legal right to reject. However, have you checked precisely what the order you signed specified? If it specified no detail than you have to accept what is shown in the sales brochure. Brochures usually offer options and if your order does not include the option then you are stuck. 

Looking at the video we see seats at each side and although radiused corner cushions exist there is no seat on the  rear wall. I am guessing perhaps in the longer version of that caravan a seat is provided at the rear wall and the bench seats at the sides would be a little longer? (just my guess)

In our order confirmation there was nothing written like „u-shape lounge“ or something like this. Just the name of our model (Suedwind 460 EU 2019) and our special options like mover, etc. Actually, EU is the abbreviation for „Einzelbetten“ (single beds) and „U-Sitzgruppe“ (U-shape lounge) and in the catalogue and pricelist, the floor plan of this model showed a U-shaped lounge. Then, back in the Ende of February this year, Knaus corrected the picture of the lounge. That was probably at the time when our model was built, so they probably just realized then that there was no space for a u-shaped lounge, so they corrected the floor plan on their website, but did not inform our retailer or us. In the bigger Suedwind 500, there is a u-shaped lounge (with seat at the rear wall and slightly longer sides), but we wanted a short caravan with less than 7 m and single beds, so we had no other choice.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, CampingFieber said:

In the bigger Suedwind 500, there is a u-shaped lounge (with seat at the rear wall and slightly longer sides), but we wanted a short caravan with less than 7 m and single beds, so we had no other choice.

That is the explanation I guessed. It appears that you are stuck with it. For 2 people the lounge appears adequate and with the table lowered the bed can be made up for 2 guests?  Can you sit with your backs in the corners and your feet up?  (This is our preferred relaxing position when we have no guests).  Presumably you can sit at the table with 2 guests?  

Edited by Ern

Yes, we could sit there with 2 guests, but then it’s very „cosy“. We can also sit with our backs in the corners and our feet up, but the feet are „in the air“, they are not resting on the seat (only up to a bit below the hollow of the knee), but it’s okay. We prefer to camp in summer time, so we will sit outside most of the time anyway.

Good luck with your caravan and Oh, welcome to the forum.

9 hours ago, CampingFieber said:

Yes, we could sit there with 2 guests, but then it’s very „cosy“. We can also sit with our backs in the corners and our feet up, but the feet are „in the air“, they are not resting on the seat (only up to a bit below the hollow of the knee), but it’s okay. We prefer to camp in summer time, so we will sit outside most of the time anyway.

Good Morning CampingFieber, greetings from Moenchengladbach.

Which dealer did you buy it from?

Is it not possible to fit a seat/table on the back wall between the benches to turn it into a 'U' shape? Our previous Buerstner Averso Plus 510 TK had this kind of 'U' seating and it worked well. A competent dealer should be able to come up with a solution for you.

The 360 degree video on the Knaus website is still showing it to have 'U' seating: https://www.knaus.com/de-de/wohnwagen/suedwind/grundrisse-daten/460-EU/serienausstattung/

Hello Borussia1900, our retailer suggested to install a small bench on the back between the benches, but that would only have been about 10 to 15 cm in depth, so nothing really useful, where you could really sit. Maybe for a little child, but since we don’t have any children, that would have been of no use really. For our dog (16 kg), a French bulldog, it would also have been too small for him to lay there. And back in the rear on the bottom, there are these little round  openings for the warm air of the heater, which they would then either have to remove towards the front or support this little bench otherwise and that was all too vary, because nobody seemed to have a plan and the space is really too small for a u-shaped lounge, if you want to sit in the rear, the table would be right in front of the door. 

In the picture below, you see the original image (when we ordered the caravan) of the lounge (u-shaped) and in the other picture you see the current „benches“ as shown in your link. And in the catalogue online you can still read „U-Sitzgruppe“. They only changed the picture, but not the text. That’s confusing. We‘re done with this. It’s not worth to be sad about this, but we decided that our next caravan will not be from Knaus again, because we do not like their policy in terms of not admitting that they made a mistake (with the floor plan). But probably this will not be much different with other producers as well?!3867C677-5BB1-43AD-AE5F-86A643679ED1.thumb.png.6253542f321ce177221b233b3e8a87c4.png825AA692-9087-46F0-8A80-A1B603BC4D15.thumb.jpeg.2d6f5a975a5e6c40ac4561554de9bf1b.jpegD3F6576B-A5D6-4E9F-BB17-70D55C85B3CE.thumb.jpeg.f35d80608a5007880f5dce2d4f27c516.jpeg

16 hours ago, CampingFieber said:

we decided that our next caravan will not be from Knaus again

A Dutch work colleague of mine bought a Knaus caravan a few years ago and it had a serious amount of faults, in the end he got them all fixed but he lost confidence in the brand and has swapped it for a Fendt.

Otherwise Knaus appear to have a good reputation and they own Tabbert, the build quality on my Tabbert Puccini is excellent, we're very happy with it.

Posted (edited)

It strikes me that Knaus changed the layout in order to allow the person sitting next to the bathroom to get in and out without having to move the table. As I see it, they have corrected an inherent design fault. Considering it's only intended to be a caravan for two, it would appear to be more important that both occupants can sit down and get up than to allow a third person (it doesn't look as though there would be enough space for a fourth) to sit in U-formation.

Edited by Lutz