Sign in to follow this  
SCP1959

Wasps!!

Hello. I just thought I'd do a quick post about an unusual problem I experienced during my recent stay in Longtown, Cumbria. The awning was put up and very quickly became the focus for a succession of very large wasps intent on building their nests both inside and outside of the awning. I suspect they were Queen wasps, if there is such a creature. Sadly, due to their persistence I had to dispatch them. If I'd left them to it I'd would have have at least five nests on my awning. As it was I was left with some very stuborn deposits on the awning and roof lining. Wasps serve a very important role in nature but these were real pests. Just be advised folks to check around your awnings at this time of year because you may have unwanted guests.

Its not good practice to kill wasps in the awning, its much better to show them out gently.  A distressed wasp sends out a pheromone as a warning to others and its this that attracts other wasps. 

As the saying goes if you kill a wasp at least five will attend its funeral. 

21 hours ago, SCP1959 said:

Hello. I just thought I'd do a quick post about an unusual problem I experienced during my recent stay in Longtown, Cumbria. The awning was put up and very quickly became the focus for a succession of very large wasps intent on building their nests both inside and outside of the awning. I suspect they were Queen wasps, if there is such a creature. Sadly, due to their persistence I had to dispatch them. If I'd left them to it I'd would have have at least five nests on my awning. As it was I was left with some very stuborn deposits on the awning and roof lining. Wasps serve a very important role in nature but these were real pests. Just be advised folks to check around your awnings at this time of year because you may have unwanted guests.

I get an attempt to build a nest in my shed every year at this time, common problem!!

22 hours ago, Paul_B said:

Its not good practice to kill wasps in the awning, its much better to show them out gently.  A distressed wasp sends out a pheromone as a warning to others and its this that attracts other wasps. 

As the saying goes if you kill a wasp at least five will attend its funeral. 

Thanks Paul, I know this. I did my very best to dissuade them but they would just fly away and return a few minutes later and begin building again. They were very persistent so, as much as I disliked doing it I had to kill them for the reasons in my OP.

No other wasps were seen as I believe these Queens were building the nest to this years offspring.

2 hours ago, SCP1959 said:

Thanks Paul, I know this. I did my very best to dissuade them but they would just fly away and return a few minutes later and begin building again. They were very persistent so, as much as I disliked doing it I had to kill them for the reasons in my OP.

No other wasps were seen as I believe these Queens were building the nest to this years offspring.

I think that hanging a plastic bag with water in dissuades them as they see it as another wasp nest, its suppose to work the same with flies as they keep away from wasps nests.

Although it may only work if flies and wasps have read the same books :unsure:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SCP1959 said:

How did you know it was the same one? They all look the same to me :rolleyes:

I have killed at least 5 queen sized wasps in my conservatory so far this year.

I have yet to see any “mourners” 

Andy

p.s. I think it’s actually Bee’s that send out the pheromone not wasps. 

59 minutes ago, Flat_at said:

How did you know it was the same one? They all look the same to me :rolleyes:

Queens are bigger and likely to be the only wasps around at this time of year.

14 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

I have killed at least 5 queen sized wasps in my conservatory so far this year.

I have yet to see any “mourners” 

Andy

p.s. I think it’s actually Bee’s that send out the pheromone not wasps. 

No it's Wasps :)

Oh and a lot of big Wasps are Hornets

A couple of years ago at the Broadway site we had a robin hell bent on building it's nest in the rear suspension springs on our Freelander - we must have pulled out at least four attempts before he/she finally gave up!