Skoda Octavia Vrs Estate DSG towing

Caravan Novice 101

Sounds like it is a Westfalia which is not usually factory fit.

The method of fitment is to remove the girder across the back that holds the two main arms of the chassis apart and replace it with the towbar structure - all behind the bumper. You will need to get underneath with a torch and look for a label, but if it is a Westfalia it will most probably be 90Kg. That means that the noseweight limit will be specified by the chassis as that will very likely be less than 90. [There are three things that affect the maximum noseweight: the car chassis limit specified by the manufacturer, the towbar limit, and the caravan chassis limit. Whichever is the lowest of the three is the actual limit you should use.

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

2 hours ago, Guzzilazz said:

There should be a label on the removable part, telling you what the max vertical load on the towbar is...

Will have a look again and see if I can see anything. If not I will contact Skoda for more information. 

Thanks for help 

19 hours ago, Caravan Novice 101 said:

Yes thanks as I was going to look into some courses as would rather have some lessons of how to tow etc first. 

I have been out to look at some caravans as seen a 2015 Elddis Xplore 526 with a MTPLM of 1317kg I know this is slightly over the figure quoted bit only seen one other under the 1300kg would this be safe to tow as beginner? 

Thanks everyone

Yes.

19 hours ago, logiclee said:

As for the petrol comments,

The petrol vRS has  245PS and 380NM 1600-4300rpm

The Diesel vRS has 184PS and 380NM 1750-2350rpm.

The petrol has the same peak torque which arrives earlier in the rev range and lasts for longer. Couple that with the petrol having a 20% lower final drive and the petrol will have significantly better towing performance.

and the mpg figures between the diesel and petrol?

12 hours ago, Caravan Novice 101 said:

Will have a look again and see if I can see anything. If not I will contact Skoda for more information. 

Thanks for help 

Managed to find this sticker under the bumper behind the electric plug. I'm at looking at the 80kg figure? 

Thanks 

Screenshot_20190507-094014.jpg

11 minutes ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

and the mpg figures between the diesel and petrol...weren’t the point being made

Fixed your post.

• I do not understand 1

7 hours ago, Caravan Novice 101 said:

Managed to find this sticker under the bumper behind the electric plug. I'm at looking at the 80kg figure? 

Thanks 

Yep, 80Kg maximum vertical load.

7 hours ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

and the mpg figures between the diesel and petrol?

Were not discussed in the post I was replying to. I was replying to comments on towing performance.

The petrol will use more fuel but does hold it's value better. But good lease deals on the diesel at the moment as they can't shift them

The finances will depend on the owners annual mileage and type of ownership.

Lee

Edited by logiclee

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

20 hours ago, Tigger said:

Yep, 80Kg maximum vertical load.

Thanks where do I find the maximum vertical load of a caravan? 

I went to view another caravan and have attached details below. I know this is above the 1300kg but speaking to dealer I was advised my car will be suitable to tow. Is this information correct or am I being given incorrect information? 

Screenshot_20190508-130028.jpg

Caravan hitch limit is usually 100kg, sometime more but not at the weight you're considering.

Ex-works noseweight is sometimes quoted but useless, IMO, as it depends how the caravan is loaded.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

If the towbar is factory fit, it may not be wired up for caravan battery charging and fridge, the towing socket will just be wired up for road lighting, check it out.

My Octavia Estate 2.0TDi 4x4 (manual) has a kerbweight of 1,495kg same weight what is on the V5C, caravan mtplm 1,318kg 88% ratio, no problem towing and with 75kg noseweight, just have to adjust the load in the caravan, with some weight just behind the caravan axle on the floor. 

Škoda Octavia Estate 2. 0TDi 4x4 towing a Compass Omega 482.

1 hour ago, Caravan Novice 101 said:

Thanks where do I find the maximum vertical load of a caravan? 

I went to view another caravan and have attached details below. I know this is above the 1300kg but speaking to dealer I was advised my car will be suitable to tow. Is this information correct or am I being given incorrect information? 

Screenshot_20190508-130028.jpg

I've been towing for decades so would be classed as "Experienced" but for me a caravan with that weight I'd be looking at a Passat/Superb.  It would be over a 100% match.

As an owner of three different  Octavia's I wouldn't tow that myself and certainly wouldn't advise a novice to do that.

A salesman may tell you what is legal but what is safe is entirely different.

Edited by logiclee

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

1 hour ago, logiclee said:

I've been towing for decades so would be classed as "Experienced" but for me a caravan with that weight I'd be looking at a Passat/Superb.  It would be over a 100% match.

As an owner of three different  Octavia's I wouldn't tow that myself and certainly wouldn't advise a novice to do that.

A salesman may tell you what is legal but what is safe is entirely different.

2 hours ago, FrankBullet said:

That caravan would be on the edge for an experienced tower, I wouldn’t go anywhere near it!

Thanks for all your advice I thought it didn't seem right. This is the other one I'm looking at. Will this be a safer and better set up? 

Thanks 

Screenshot_20190508-162607.jpg

Just be careful as it’s heading towards 90% but so long as you keep the speed down on downhill sections and be mindful of overtaking 7.5t vehicles (as in them barrelling past you) you should be fine - enjoy it ?

• 3 weeks later...

With regards to a comment  earlier in this conversation ALL 2.0lt VW diesels are fitted with a 7 speed DSG wet plate  gearbox. Pre 2010 Tiguans had the 6 speed "slush" auto gearbox. I have a 2010 diesel (from new) with DSG 7 speed WET plate gearbox and currently tow a swift Challenger 565 caravan relatively easily!

Cheers

Adrian