The heating in my new cabrara - continually bubbles and gurgles

The heating in my new cabrara is working fine but it continually bubbles and gurgles when it’s on

ive tried bleeding the bathroom rad and the heater in the front but don’t seem to be any air coming out

Assuming it's an Alde wet system, make sure the fluid in the header tank is above minimum and then trace the pipework around the caravan and bleed each valve in turn - they may well be difficult to get to.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

I've found that simply lifting the pump impeller slight and giving it a shake releases trapped air and makes the pump a bit quieter. Worth a try.

Alec

Car & Caravan

As BG says, check the level in the header tank - it should be at least halfway between min & max (mine gurgled before we topped it up). Check the pump on the side of the heating unit and make sure that the control know has been turned down to 2 - they get set to 5 when testing and then they get forgotten - the should be on 2.

You might need to trace the pipework around the van to find all the bleed points - mine are tucked behind the seatbacks with just enough space to get at them but I've never had to bleed any except the bathroom. 

4 minutes ago, macSpot said:

I've found that simply lifting the pump impeller slight and giving it a shake releases trapped air and makes the pump a bit quieter. Worth a try.

Bailey tend to use the side mounted pump on the heating unit rather than the one in the header tank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

18 minutes ago, matelodave said:

Bailey tend to use the side mounted pump on the heating unit rather than the one in the header tank

I apologise I didn't know that.

Alec

Car & Caravan

12 minutes ago, macSpot said:

I apologise I didn't know that.

Don't apologise, if you don't have a Bailey then you don't know what they use.

Your solution for a header tank pump is perfectly valid

• Like 1

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

Identical on mine... The solution is very simple, your dealer will not have turned the pump down from setting 5 (installation bleeding) to setting 2, bubbling will stop.  The pump control is a blue knob on the end of the circulation pump on the unit under the seat on the RH side...Takes a bit of a squirm to see the markings to set it to

The level in your expansion header tank should be at "min" when the heating is cold, no higher or you risk losing fluid when it is heated & expands. Check your pump speed as already stated by others, should not be in the zone that states "air bleeding only" or similar words to that, if it is turn it back. Close to your Alde boiler you will see a black rubber elbow in the piping system, sometimes giving this a squeeze when the heating is running can force any air in the system back out of the header tank.

• 1 year later...
On 05/05/2019 at 22:34, Flinty said:

The level in your expansion header tank should be at "min" when the heating is cold, no higher or you risk losing fluid when it is heated & expands. Check your pump speed as already stated by others, should not be in the zone that states "air bleeding only" or similar words to that, if it is turn it back. Close to your Alde boiler you will see a black rubber elbow in the piping system, sometimes giving this a squeeze when the heating is running can force any air in the system back out of the header tank.

sorry if i sound ignorant but how do i check the pump speed?

1 hour ago, dobo said:

sorry if i sound ignorant but how do i check the pump speed?

On 05/05/2019 at 20:39, Guzzilazz said:

.  The pump control is a blue knob on the end of the circulation pump on the unit under the seat on the RH side...Takes a bit of a squirm to see the markings to set it to

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

If you can't get your head down there to see the markings on the scale try to get your phone in there & take a photo of it, adjust the dial, take a photo etc until you get the dial where you want it.

• Like 1

Just try turning the control!

Almost invariably anti clockwise is the direction to lower whatever it is, speed, temperature, volume  etc.  

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

Here is a picture of the pump in my 2015 U 3 Cadiz.  The Dial as Mr Plodd said turns anti clockwise from 5 to 1 and is left on position 2 for normal operation.

690307467_Aldepump.thumb.jpg.6511218cb0b52d568ee78c0687c51b46.jpg