Sign in to follow this  
Durbanite

Kampa Air windbreak

Yesterday at Attwools in Gloucester we saw the Kampa Air Break air windbreak.  Has any one purchased one of these and used it?  Currently we have to knock ours into  the ground and this can be quite painful due to both of us having arthritis.  A couple of pumps like about 80 strokes and it is up.  A lot easier on the wrists as you can use a power pump.  To anchor it down a couple of screwpegs will do the job.  Retails for about £340 for the 5 piece unit.

I am surprised that no one has bought one or perhaps they have bought one and it is more trouble than it is worth.  At the moment we are very wary of Kampa Air products made in China after being badly burnt with the Air Ace in 2015!

So avoid them completely.

Posted (edited)

What is your aim with one? Actually as a windbreak, or as a way of securing dogs? If it's the former I don't see it being very good sure in high winds, it won't break, but it will bend, making it not very suitable for that purpose. If it is to secure dogs then I don't know about you but mine would get straight out from between the awning and caravan. I know the coveva requires quite a bit of pegging, but it's night and day and a better solution. Mine did not budge in the 50mph guts from storm Hannah a couple of weeks ago.

We have a 16.5m version. It butts up against the caravan front and back. We get the skirt in, unfold the windbreak, about half the pegs in then the dogs can be released from the cage in the car. I can then leisurely peg what I had left to do, and then start putting the awning up safe in the knowledge the dogs can't go anywhere.

Edited by anthdci

To be honest I can't see it being all that, we have a poles windbreak that only sits on the ground and is held in with guy ropes. It's ok but needs daily adjustment and nowhere as strong as a hammer home one.

Currently we have the Jormax Vision system which is very good even in high winds and keeps the dogs very secure however due to arthritis now battling to knock the poles into the ground.  Okay in the winter when the ground is soft.  We are really looking for an easier option as we can use the drill with screw pegs to secure the windbreak. 

I appreciate that it may bend in the wind, but the dogs are small Yorkies and hardly likely to be outside in high winds.  No issue securing it to the Isabella porch awning awning to prevent any potential Houdini's escaping through any gaps.

Not sure if I am trying to Talk myself into getting one or trying to Talk myself out of it!  Criticism is appreciated.  :D

4 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

Currently we have the Jormax Vision system which is very good even in high winds and keeps the dogs very secure however due to arthritis now battling to knock the poles into the ground.  Okay in the winter when the ground is soft.  We are really looking for an easier option as we can use the drill with screw pegs to secure the windbreak. 

I appreciate that it may bend in the wind, but the dogs are small Yorkies and hardly likely to be outside in high winds.  No issue securing it to the Isabella porch awning awning to prevent any potential Houdini's escaping through any gaps.

Not sure if I am trying to Talk myself into getting one or trying to Talk myself out of it!  Criticism is appreciated.  :D

That's part of the joy of the coveva. You use regular pegs for the whole system. You can switch it to drill in screw pegs if you wish.

If you look at the attached image, you have one of these at the base of each of the uprights. It comes with 6" nails but you can, and I do, use the screw in type of pegs instead. You put it all together flat on the ground, then stand it up with the metal guide poles, as long there not loads of wind it stays there with zero pegs. You just then go round with your drill and put the screw pegs in so it doesn't move regardless.

(I really should be on commission for coveva but I honestly have no links to them)

5_1_800x600.jpg

2 minutes ago, anthdci said:

That's part of the joy of the coveva. You use regular pegs for the whole system. You can switch it to drill in screw pegs if you wish.

If you look at the attached image, you have one of these at the base of each of the uprights. It comes with 6" nails but you can, and I do, use the screw in type of pegs instead. You put it all together flat on the ground, then stand it up with the metal guide poles, as long there not loads of wind it stays there with zero pegs. You just then go round with your drill and put the screw pegs in so it doesn't move regardless.

(I really should be on commission for coveva but I honestly have no links to them)

We did look at the Coveva system which is a very good windbreak, but it was right angles or nothing.  We seldom have the windbreak in front of the awning preferring to have it attached to the front of the caravan similar to the picture below.

One warm day!.jpg

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

We did look at the Coveva system which is a very good windbreak, but it was right angles or nothing.  We seldom have the windbreak in front of the awning preferring to have it attached to the front of the caravan similar to the picture below.

ah, fair enough, ours going right round from the front of the van, to the rear, so it is considerably bigger, and therefore heavier than you have there.

I know a company local to me are developing a windbreak system. I have only seen one rather vague photo at the minute so I am not sure what it is like, but it might be worth giving them a ring and seeing if it's what you're looking for? I know the couple, the lady runs the fabrics company, and the husband runs an agility equipment company, hence the fabric and metal work coming together.

https://dnsembroidery.co.uk/

57353036_10217212433118126_3312564810612211712_n.jpg