Sign in to follow this  
logiclee

Is the UK ready for EV?

We are considering an EV for our second car as it only does short trips and as it's at home during most of the day and we have Solar it would make sense.

But got me thinking for me a high mileage motorway user is it a choice for me to consider?

I watch a guy called hubnut on youtube as he's a very down to earth guy who runs and restores older vehicles. He's just done an 800 mile trip over two days in a new Jag ipace.

Awesome vehicle but the UK infrastructure is severely lacking and it seems very expensive.

It's a long video but worth watching.

We decided last year to change our company cars and vans (not the trucks) to either hybrid or electric vehicles. The first step was to analyse the average single mileage trip each vehicle did and the time involved in stopping to recharge and how it would effect our time management and efficiencies (i.e. response times to our customers and the extra related labour charges) To cut a very long story short (I have a detailed analysis if anybody wants to see it) hybrid was the better option than EV, only one vehicle user out of 10 suited EV. So next bit was PHEV or self charging. That was the easy bit as the analysis almost followed the original research and self recharging hybrids came out trumps every time. personally I am now driving around in a Toyota CHR as my daily and must admit to quite liking it. What I am trying to say is look at your trips and your time EV's are great in the right application but from our research can be a right pain in the wrong application. 

When the time comes to change our Volvo I would seriously look at self charging hybrids (Lexus or similar) even though OH who uses the Volvo daily on relatively short trips.

I did test drive the IPace amongst others and its an awesome piece of kit and if I could have made it work would probably have bought one.

Average journeys don't tell the full story - the full range of journey types needs to be practical before switching to an EV - at a personal level, it depends how many vehicles in the household and how easily they can be switched around.

I've costed the option of buying a "cheap" Renault Zoe for all the short trips we do but the cost of battery rental plus home charging costs is over 15 pence/mile - adding on MoT and insurance for a second car takes the running cost to 21 pence/mile and then there's servicing, depreciation and loss of interest/dividend on the capital cost.

Fella I regularly chat to in the gym did a trip around Europe in his Tesla, no issues with range or planning driving 2200 miles in 10 days.

1 hour ago, Black Grouse said:

I've costed the option of buying a "cheap" Renault Zoe for all the short trips we do but the cost of battery rental plus home charging costs is over 15 pence/mile - adding on MoT and insurance for a second car takes the running cost to 21 pence/mile and then there's servicing, depreciation and loss of interest/dividend on the capital cost.

Thats pretty much true of anything in life, it will end up costing you - the question is do you want to do it?

I’m at the point of retiring the A2 and have been looking at a Zoe, something 3-4 years old; yes it will cost me but that’s not the point (so does the Passat...Caravan...child...), I can’t sell the A2 but my in-laws have agreed I can store it in their double garage so long as I help clear it out.