Sign in to follow this  
Mr Plodd

Whale pump over-runs by 10 secs, is that normal??

New Bailey Phoenix fitted with a whale external submersible pump. It works perfectly EXCEPT when a tap is turned off the pump always runs on for about six seconds and THEN stops.

It does always stop so I am thinking perhaps that what it’s meant to do (or is it?) 

I have run all of the taps to ensure there’s no air pocket “lurking” 

Andy

2 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

New Bailey Phoenix fitted with a whale external submersible pump. It works perfectly EXCEPT when a tap is turned off the pump always runs on for about six seconds and THEN stops.

It does always stop so I am thinking perhaps that what it’s meant to do (or is it?) 

I have run all of the taps to ensure there’s no air pocket “lurking” 

r't fix ir

Andy

As long as it stops that's fine. You could probably get it to stop quicker with adjustment but "if it ain' t broke don't fix it" it is the beat approach as you might mess it up! there are fiddly things pressure switches.

It will vary with voltage by the way  if you are on battery and the charge drops off or on a site with heavy load.

Posted (edited)

It's repressurising the system... In the marine context it's often the case that we have an "accumulator" (basically a container with a rubber diaphragm) which means that the water comes out of the tap straight away... the pump then repressurises the accumulator, so runs on...

Edited by Guzzilazz

Posted (edited)

The pump will run for a wee while before turning off but six seconds seems excessive. It won't be doing any harm though.

If you ain't got the destructions for the switch they are attached below.

Best to adjust when the battery has been charged by EHU for a while because as Fenester says they are sensitive to voltage change.

WhalePressureSwitch.pdf

Edited by onewheelonmywagon

Posted (edited)

Thanks guys, I am also of the opinion “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” 

Having said that on my previous caravan (Truma pump) it cut out the instant the tap was turned off. 

Thinking about what Guzzilazz  (wonder how they came by that user name) has said I did open a tap when we first arrived on this site and a fair bit of water was expelled without the pump being switched on, so clearly there is something in there “storing” a bit of pressure. I did wonder if there was an airlock somewhere that was having that same effect but having run all the taps I have eliminated that possibility. 

I was was hoping someone with a similar van might be able to say if theirs is the same or not. The important thing is that it’s working of course.

Is it me or is the pistol grip where the hose plugs into the side of the van a REALLY flimsy item? 

I am a dopey sod!! 

Just looked at the destruction sheet provided by Onewheelonmywagon, Its a TRUMA pump I currently have, it was my LAST caravan that had a Whale. (It’s my age, I have too much of it) 

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

My Guzzilazz 2018 caravan has the same problem  :D

Further update!!

Just been doing a bit of Googling about this issue and found the below information on Truma’s website.

https://www.truma.com/web/downloadcenter/files/truma-watersystems-ultraflow-smart-switch-installation-operating-gb.pdf

It would appear that the Truma Ultraflow system is rather clever and should indeed continue to run for about 7 seconds after tap shut off to re-pressurise the system. Also it has an automatic shut off if the pump runs dry.

All Clever stuff (until it goes wrong that is ,,) 

Andy

The name's Larry, and I have had two Moto Guzzi motorcycles...

12 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Thanks guys, I am also of the opinion “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” 

Having said that on my previous caravan (Truma pump) it cut out the instant the tap was turned off. 

Thinking about what Guzzilazz  (wonder how they came by that user name) has said I did open a tap when we first arrived on this site and a fair bit of water was expelled without the pump being switched on, so clearly there is something in there “storing” a bit of pressure. I did wonder if there was an airlock somewhere that was having that same effect but having run all the taps I have eliminated that possibility. 

I was was hoping someone with a similar van might be able to say if theirs is the same or not. The important thing is that it’s working of course.

Is it me or is the pistol grip where the hose plugs into the side of the van a REALLY flimsy item? 

I am a dopey sod!! 

Just looked at the destruction sheet provided by Onewheelonmywagon, Its a TRUMA pump I currently have, it was my LAST caravan that had a Whale. (It’s my age, I have too much of it) 

Andy

When I bought  a pre-owned 2006 Bailey Ranger it was fitted with a Carver water system with flimsy "flags" to retain the pump inlet. A local dealer suggested that I replace the inlet with a Truma pistol grip inlet. The whole assembly worked well until I had to replace a pump with a genuine Truma replacement a couple of years ago.  Not only was the pistol grip more than flimsy even when it had been re-assembled  it also became very difficult to connect and disconnect. Replacing the pump assembly with a Whale has cured the problem.

With regard to the emboldened sentence in RED I couldn't possibly comment :rolleyes:

11 hours ago, DeeTee said:

With regard to the emboldened sentence in RED I couldn't possibly comment :rolleyes:

Well the thought police have not reacted!! After all sod actually refers to a lump of grass or turf. So no different to being a dopey turnip really!!

22 hours ago, Guzzilazz said:

The name's Larry, and I have had two Moto Guzzi motorcycles...

I knwe there had to be an explanation! NOW I understand thanks.

Nice bikes APART from the electrics, which were not exactly reliable!

Andy 

10 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

I knwe there had to be an explanation! NOW I understand thanks.

Nice bikes APART from the electrics, which were not exactly reliable!

Andy 

The modern Guzzi electrics are fine... They're Bosch mainly... 

Posted (edited)

I have a Truma heating system, by the drain valve i have a screw valve (some brain box can add technical name), this can be screwed to adjust to add or reduce the running time of the pump after a tap is shut off...  I also changed from the Truma pump to a Whale which I found much easier to fit and gives better pressure..  My system runs for about 3  seconds after shut off, 6 seems a bit too long...

Edited by Les666

6 hours ago, Les666 said:

My system runs for about 3  seconds after shut off, 6 seems a bit too long...

If  read my previous post fully, before commenting, you will see that it IS indeed 100% correct and normal! 

I even provided a link to the Truma website where it is all explanained, here it is again....

https://www.truma.com/web/downloadcenter/files/truma-watersystems-ultraflow-smart-switch-installation-operating-gb.pdf

Andy