Sign in to follow this  
barrysullivan

What would this be

Hello Everybody , 

Am hoping to install sky tv in caravan but am wondering about dish placement. I have read that the higher the dish the better the quality signal . On the side of my Bailey Pagent there appears to be two brackets I am wondering what they may be for and if perhaps the previous owners  may have used it to hold a dish , if so what type of bracket would fit ....any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance picture attached .20190430_173012.thumb.jpg.76261013503ddcd2446d6bf2803406de.jpg

Can't advise on the brackets in your picture.  I would however recommend a portable tripod for a satellite dish which would give you more flexibility when it comes to alignment.  You can move the dish around to avoid tree's etc... 

The dish doesn't need to be high up for a better signal it just needs a clear line of sight to the sky facing south east, about 28 degrees for astra 2 satellite. 

I had one of these for  years and never had a problem getting a signal.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Maxview-54cm-Omnisat-Portable-Satellite-Kit-With-Single-LNB/1134159469?iid=283352405684

Hope this helps

Mike

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Your brackets look some variant of the system used to clamp on the mast of a conventional terrestrial TV aerial.

This is a more current version:

https://www.visionplus.co.uk/shop/multi-mast.html

There is no truth in the quality of a satellite signal's quality being improved by being mounted higher; doing that might enable it to "see" the satellite(s) over a hedge or building but could inhibit it seeing under a close tree canopy. The signal comes from a cluster of satellites grouped way above the Equator and alerting the distance by a few feet is totally irrelevant, as said by Trek, it is all about an uninhibited "view" to the satellites.

I agree also that a portable dish is in our context by far the better solution than limiting yourself to a location fixed on the van; portable you can use any available patch on your pitch that allows you to view the satellites between vegetation etc.

Edited by JTQ

I would not contemplate hanging a satellite dish from those brackets, I reckon the weight or a gust of wind would pull the screws straight out and tear the aluminium. Thats why they use substantial brackets and rawlbolts to hold them to the sides of houses.

This is what those brackets are designed to support https://www.visionplus.co.uk/shop/multi-mast.html with a conventional lightweight antenna

You would be much better off getting a tripod. As others have said a dish needs to see a clear view of the sky, an extra couple of feet in height doesn't make a lot of difference when the satellite is 25000km away out in space.

Did you buy the van from the previous owners, if so give them a call and ask them

Be wary about fixing a satellite dish to a caravan - when strong winds are full on to the dish, the force involved is quite high so could rip the fixings out of the caravan - as posted, use a free-standing tripod.

I've been on many a site where had the dish been fixed to the van I'd got nowt. A cheap £20 tripod and 20 or 30m of cable gives me the room to get anywhere on the pitch and get a signal. Last year in France it allowed me to find the smallest gap in the tree canopy. 

Another happy cheap tripod user here!    :)

John.

Yup £20 cheap satellite tripod for me to.

Only left it at home!!

Using a spade handle from the Campbeltown preowned shop £1😀.

Removed jockey wheel fitted spade handle only problem cannot open front locker.

• Haha 1

I can't see that the height of the dish makes that much difference unless its put in a place where people can walk in front and obstruct the signal.

The only exception to this I have found is Start Bay CMC site where the land surrounding the site rises to such an extent that on many pitches it obscures line of sight to the satellite.

Having tried using an old sky dish in the past I got fed up with fiddling around to get the direction and angle of elevation right. I've bought a Maxview dish which is an absolute breeze to set up. 

54 minutes ago, Cheltenham Caravanner said:

I can't see that the height of the dish makes that much difference unless its put in a place where people can walk in front and obstruct the signal. 

Height can make a big difference.  Firstly people standing in front of the dish having a natter would kill the signal.  Secondly every time a vehicle came pass it may block the signal and most definitely when they are towing a caravan.  Thirdly surrounding hedges or bushes may cause an issue.  :unsure:

However by moving the dish around and taking into consideration the surrounds you can overcome the issues that may affect the signal.  We had a Maxview dish, then a dome on the caravan and now a satellite dish mounted on the caravan.  :)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

As even here the beam is coming down at an approximate slope of one in two, much steeper that might be assumed by  looking at the dish, it is quite quickly looking over things.  If it is twice as far from the obstacle as that's height,  you are in the  clear. 

Edited by JTQ
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JTQ said:

As even here the beam is coming down at an approximate slope of one in two, much steeper that might be assumed by  looking at the dish, it is quite quickly looking over things.  If it is twice as far from the obstacle as that's height,  you are in the  clear. 

The offset dishes do look more vertical than they should - indeed in Northern Scotland the dish can appear to be point slightly downwards!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, barrysullivan said:

Hello Everybody , 

I have read that the higher the dish the better the quality signal .

Considering that the Astra 2/Sky satellites are approx 22000 miles away (located above the Congo on the equator), I don’t think that raising the dish a few feet in the air is going to make a great deal of difference to the strength and quality of the signal being received!                 :lol:

Obviously, anything blocking the direct line of sight to the appropriate satellite will affect the signal.

Vin Blanc

2 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

The offset dishes do look more vertical than they should - indeed in Northern Scotland the dish can appear to be point slightly downwards!

Gif dish.GIF

Edited by Vin Blanc

I've found that people need to be around 1m or closer to a sky dish mounted on a standard tripod to actually block the signal. 

Re: my previous post:  the sketch shows why it's called an "off-set" dish!

Vin Blanc

Hello members 

Could anybody assist me as to what may have been attached to what looks like two brackets on my Bailey 2000 Ranger 510/4 please 

Thanks in advance Barry S20190430_173012.thumb.jpg.76261013503ddcd2446d6bf2803406de.jpg

An external TV Aerial.

Yep defno for external aerial mast 

Similar to the plate on one of these …

image.png.54ac4486de327592949007cf70a91416.png

John

Deja Vu?  Been asked very recently...  Vision Multimast https://www.visionplus.co.uk/shop/multi-mast.html but an older version so may not be 100% compatible.

I took an old one to the scrappy when we moved for the alloy.

Posted (edited)

I thought this question would have been adequately answered in the previous post from barrysulivan - or didn't he read it properly.

It did say what the brackets were for and pointed to the visionplus website and advised that hanging a satellite dish off them wasn't ever such a good idea.

Edited by matelodave

:rolleyes:  You can take a horse to water.....  :D

23 hours ago, matelodave said:

I thought this question would have been adequately answered in the previous post from barrysulivan - or didn't he read it properly.

It did say what the brackets were for and pointed to the visionplus website and advised that hanging a satellite dish off them wasn't ever such a good idea.

Thank you so much everybody for your help and advice . By mistake I had the notifications turned off and didn't see all your replies that is why I asked twice ...my apologies