Sign in to follow this  
fooddestroyer

'Real' 4x4's?

On 05/05/2019 at 18:48, Gd485 said:

I can understand the need for a 'real' 4x4 but watch the weights and use.

Sorry to spoil your plans but.....

Ordinary Social ,domestic and pleasure insurance may not cover you to tow a trailer used for trade purposes. You'll  possible need commercial insurance. If you are carrying goods that are for sale or you are towing someone else's goods then this can be classed as carrying goods for hire or reward.

Also if the gross train weight exceeds 3.5t makes sure you do not require a tachograph to be fitted. There are some limitations that mean a tacho is not required such as travelling distance from home or agricultural.

If so then technically you need and operators license and loads of paperwork hassle.

Finally your driving license may not be correct if you passed your driving test post 1997.

Mr Plodd should be able to confirm the above

Thanks for this.

Passed my B+E a few weeks ago and I have been getting commercial insurance quotes to be sure of this change. 

A good tow vehicle is a Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD which can tow up to 3500kg.  We get about 23mpg when towing a 2000kg caravan at about 50mph.  Solo about 35mpg.

• Like 1

It is inevitable that 90% of replies are going to be along the lines of.  I’ve got a (insert name here) and honestly it tows my (insert name here) like it’s not there.  I’m going to be no different our Touareg tows our Hymer (1900kg) very well.   In terms of engines.  Afaik they came in 3 flavours, there was a 2.5L, V10 and a 3.0l V6.  The most common is the V6.   This came in several different power outputs ours is 2015 262hp, but there are several version I think the latest Touareg  engine about 280hp.  Manual gears rare and only with the early ones.  Our real world non towing mpg seems to be around the high 20’s to mid 30’s ish.  Tbh I don’t check that often or closely.  I needed a big tow car so it comes with the territory.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fooddestroyer said:

I'm curious as to which Touareg has the most economical, and/or even best all round engine.

3.0 V6 Diesel is the optimum, 2.5 uses more fuel and doesnt have the power, V10 5 litre, oh my, what a car but nightmare to work on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fooddestroyer said:

I'm curious as to which Touareg has the most economical, and/or even best all round engine.

3.0 TDi V6 - 2010-2014 have the best real world economy as the later ones are officially better but slightly worse in reality, and need Adblue

• Like 1

Hello Food destroyer, My Isuzu is on a 65 plate which was 2 months old and 800 miles when I bought it  as it was the local dealer demonstrator. It is still like new =, 33000 miles. The only change from when I completed the deal was to have the towing electrics upgraded to a 13 pin socket and associated wiring etc . This was done FOC  before I collected it. I did a lot of research before buying it - speaking to other owners/users etc and no-one had anything  other than praise, lust as I am now. As regarding towing , our van is a Swift single axle but is as long as is legal on a single axle. swdI have also towed a variety of sized trailers including an Ifor Williams twin axle at 3. 5 tons all up in the pouring rain and darkness with no bother of any sort !! As you can see I believe it would be difficult to better it as it not only does all the above but it is the family car too . Best Wishes Ian Brown

• Like 1

New type Rexton owner here. 4 years old and still towing well. Mines a 2 litre manual with a maximum trailer weight of 3 tonnes. The newer version is a 2.2litre, so it should be even better. Previously I had a Mitsubishi L200 which I changed because it was too lively with an empty load bed, (2.5litre manual with a 5 speed box). Before that I towed with a Mitsubishi Pajero, (import version of the Shogun). Absolutely bulletproof engine and gearbox which will pull your house down! Incredible tow car BUT you'll need a fuel tanker following you, they are THAT thirsty! Best I got was 25mpg on a motorway run with a very light right foot, (solo). Best I got towing was 17mpg.

Sufficient to say that my next car, (if I ever get one), will be another Rexton, (probably an automatic).

• Like 1

Korando Sports owner here, which is basically the same as the Rexton above on the same chassis just with a pick up body and the payload to go with it. We have the 5 speed auto. Economy is high 20s low 30s generally and low 20s towing. This is my first auto tow car and I won't be going back to a manual.

It can pull up to 2.7 tonne. 

Newer ones look better but it's been a good car and serviceable parts like brakes etc a cheap and easy.

Second Ssangyong and I haven't been disappointed 

• Like 1

Although my Kia tows well, I had not considered the law, I let my HGV go, as the medical was expensive and I did not need it, however I have towed some heavy weights before laws changed and also got into trouble with some.

Towing on known local roads you can avoid problems, including reversing a trailer a long distance, but new roads to me did cause problems as maps don't show width of road.

If it would fit in a van, that would be far better.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 09/05/2019 at 08:10, Nat500 said:

The chassis starts corroding from the inside out and can cause the chassis itself to snap in half.  While Nissan dismissed any problems and recalls. They either bought them back or send the to Spain for a new chassis.

Got a soft spot for Pathfinders. Anyone got advice on finding one with a sound/treated chassis? Seems like apart from this, they are good. 

On 15/05/2019 at 12:35, ianbrown said:

Hello Food destroyer, My Isuzu is on a 65 plate which was 2 months old and 800 miles when I bought it  as it was the local dealer demonstrator. It is still like new =, 33000 miles. The only change from when I completed the deal was to have the towing electrics upgraded to a 13 pin socket and associated wiring etc . This was done FOC  before I collected it. I did a lot of research before buying it - speaking to other owners/users etc and no-one had anything  other than praise, lust as I am now. As regarding towing , our van is a Swift single axle but is as long as is legal on a single axle. swdI have also towed a variety of sized trailers including an Ifor Williams twin axle at 3. 5 tons all up in the pouring rain and darkness with no bother of any sort !! As you can see I believe it would be difficult to better it as it not only does all the above but it is the family car too . Best Wishes Ian Brown

Great Ian, and thanks for replying.

My max budget is between £7k-8k so 65 plate is too much, but I LOVE them. 

Edited by fooddestroyer

On 18/05/2019 at 10:45, Mr Plodd said:

Are you planning on raising the entire trailer on a single jack?

Probably not, in which case you don’t need a scissor jack with a 2000 kg capacity! 

Mr Google is probably your best bet, in a few seconds I found this one 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/AL-KO-2-Tonne-Scissor-Jack-2000kg-Max/1247471543

and this one (From Germany) 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/153462258868?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=153462258868&targetid=519689897227&device=t&adtype=pla&googleloc=2826&poi=&campaignid=1782815652&adgroupid=70885935042&rlsatarget=pla-519689897227&abcId=1139106&merchantid=113812038&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgNTWmeWk4gIVBkPTCh2t5wJJEAQYAyABEgJsy_D_BwE

Andy

On 03/05/2019 at 07:57, fooddestroyer said:

Hey guys.

My wife wants me to tow her food trailer (a converted horse box). It's heavier than my touring caravan and we are considering changing our lovely Honda CRV 2009 2.2 CDTi for something a bit more masculine even though the Honda has a decent tow ability [towcar.info/GB/outfitmatch.php].

I haven't a fortune to spend, and baulk at the idea of having to fork out a load more on fuel and tax, especially as the vehicle we have to be used a general family vehicle also. But I understand overall costs will be more with this type of change.

I've started the hunt for used 'real' 4x4's that 'won't get pushed around' and find myself coming back to look at
- Mitsubishi Shogun
- Landrover Discovery
- Mercedes-Benz ML
- Even Jeep

Straight cash budget around 7-8k (I know, I know, its low.... but I have spotted a few deals), and I want diesel with manual gears.

Ideas welcome! and thanks guys.

A friend who has towed at all levels stopped me for a chat on Saturday and heard me out. He said to consider a VW Transporter with the heavier engine, 2.4L/TDi to get the required horse power to handle a 2 tonne braked trailer, AND to handle family run arounds about town.

At the risk of flogging this subject to death, has anyone any comments on this direction?

THANKS guys. I really appreciate the wisdom and help on here.

~FD

Out of list above I would go Shogun.

geoff 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, shipbroker said:

Out of list above I would go Shogun.

geoff 

Or the Hyundai Terracan, basically the previous generation Pajero (Shogun).

• Like 1