Sign in to follow this  
cher129

Van Breakdown & Club/s Membership

Hi all, RAC Arrival due for renewal...(gone up £50 this year NO callouts) had the free C&CC offer last year...may be a saving but we dont use either of the clubs. Been looking for a caravan breakdown cover with the most important benefit being in event of break down...being towed to site (obviously on route to destination, never outside UK) left to our own devices for duration of holiday, then collected and returned home. Neither direction must have an "miles from breakdown" clause.

Looked at Green Flag but cant work out if membership of CMC is mandatory or if anyone can clarify the difference between GF and Mayday cover (if available on its own.) I begrudge paying a caravan club another 40 to 50 pounds when we have no need to use their sites. In a nutshell, same or similar cover without the extra cost of a club membership...hope that all made sense. Thanks

Posted (edited)

Member of cc is a requirement 

Edited by fraser600
Spelling

That choice is cc membership + Mayday vs Green Flag direct - the latter is cheaper but doesn't give double cover (if you aren't towing at the time the car breaks down they won't collect the caravan and recover both together)

• Like 1

Many people join a club not necessarily to use their sites but because some of the benefits is beneficial to them.

i appreciate some sort of club membership is manditory for breakdown cover at what ever level....thats why im asking if theres any other breakdown service/company with similar or same cover WITHOUT the need to join a club.

2 minutes ago, cher129 said:

i appreciate some sort of club membership is manditory for breakdown cover at what ever level....thats why im asking if theres any other breakdown service/company with similar or same cover WITHOUT the need to join a club.

Green Flag direct gives most of the cover - as do other breakdown services.

Posted (edited)

If I break down while I am towing I can be taken to a campsite and wait there with a small hire car while my own car is repaired at that destination..... OR I can be taken home and my own car repaired there.  

I don't want double towing to original campsite AND then home again, so I just pay Green Flag £60 a year for their full Recovery Plus UK cover including home start .

Edited by moorgate
  • Like 1

thanks moorgate, just been looking at that option, as our Outlander is only4 months old been wonder wrther to risk having green flag and skip dual recovery...How much could go wrong with a caravan to render it un usable, so green flag would take car/caravan to site but id be left to my own devices to get either car or caravan home at the end of holiday

Most of my breakdowns of towing vehicle were on cars that were less than 6 months old, specifically two of my four Jeeps..Jeep Assist were useless as couldn't come out when required so Mayday sorted it out........wouldn't be without it. Like others I don't have membership of CMC for site usage, in fact only used one of theirs in 4 years,but for other benefits...Centre Rallies, Mayday et al.

geoff 

• Confused 1

If you have RAC Arrival you must also have camping club membership so you could cancel that and take out caravan club membership and still save money with Mayday Green Flag if there are no other alternatives.

Our daughter had RAC for her car (home start, breakdown, recovery) and last year they put it up a lot to about £139 and auto renewed it without letting her know. This year she phoned up and cancelled renewal before the renewal date (again nothing sent about renewal) since Green Flag is £54.88 for the same cover. The RAC person was very rude when she did not want to discuss the cancellation. We changed from RAC Arrival to Mayday 2 years ago when our RAC cost went up from about £130 to £200. The RAC has been sold a few times recently and probably the equity groups owning them are trying to screw their customers to cover debts/profits. I imagine they will lose many customers and end up far worse off.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cher129 said:

thanks moorgate, just been looking at that option, as our Outlander is only4 months old been wonder wrther to risk having green flag and skip dual recovery...How much could go wrong with a caravan to render it un usable, so green flag would take car/caravan to site but id be left to my own devices to get either car or caravan home at the end of holiday

If your Outlander is under warranty don't they provide breakdown automatically. Mine for VW, even a used VW does and I can extend it to three years even on the last day of the first year. Plus it covers all of the EU and associated countries.

If it is caravan insurance you are after (it is a little unclear) try CaravanGuard.

Posted (edited)
On 02/05/2019 at 12:17, cher129 said:

Not sure how much cover you get for a caravan if a basic policy is taken out but a realistic scenario could be a puncture on a motorway on the caravan. You might not want to change the caravan wheel on the hard shoulder or the puncture might damage the caravan. If you ever stand on the hard shoulder with a high viz vest on, vehicles going passed at 70 mph is scary, never mind being on your knees if you were trying to change a wheel.

If the car broke down whilst towing and you wanted to be taken home but your caravan is kept in storage, without Mayday/Arrival, would the recovery drop off the caravan first and then take the car home or to a garage for repair or would the car be left at the storage site ?

Edited by Paul1957

Cher, if your Outlander is new and has an existing breakdown / recovery policy covering car only, then take out a caravan only breakdown/recovery policy from Lifesure insurance company - that will cost you £15 a year. That will cover caravan punctures on the motorway. 

All interesting and informative4 answers thank you all....still havent done anything yet as cant weigh up pros and cons of standard breakdown (even if top ens without europe cover) or go Arrival/Mayday....still got month to go b4 first trip with new car...BTW Mitzy dealer laughed when i asked what would happen to caravan as the car has cover from them for breakdown...but forget about getting van home or to site then home..:(

I have been looking for caravan breakdown insurance to supplement my car breakdown/recovery so contacted the Lifesure broker referred to in the earlier post.

Unfortunately they no longer offer a stand alone £15 annual breakdown cover policy, but for £10 will add it to their caravan policy. Their caravan  quote was only £5 more than my current insurer, so I am very tempted to renew with Lifesure.

Has anyone had experience with these brokers?  The "new for old" policy looks pretty competitive.