Sign in to follow this  
conquest

Front windows leak, when towed by Disco 4.

When towing my Bailey Brindisi MY16 in heavy rain, the two front outer windows leak. (From the bottom?)

I tow with a Disco 4, and wonder if due to the large tyres,  a lot of spray is sent up, and this is then forced up under the outer two windows at the bottom. The centre window is not affected. I have fitted rear mud flaps, but there seems little improvement.

My previous caravan, a Lunar 462, also had rain coming in whilst being towed by the Disco 4. Previously the same Lunar had been towed by a different model of car, and all had remained dry. At the time I assumed the Lunar was leaking due to it being five years old.

However, I now wonder whether it is the Disco that is causing the problem, due to the extra spray, and not faulty windows on two caravans.

I am considering sticking some 20mm x 20mm right angled plastic trim, with number plate tape, on to the front bodywork of the caravan, close to the outer two windows, in an attempt to deflect the spray. If this fails, I can easily remove the trim without damage.

Has anyone else experienced this leaking scenario, if so, how did they cure it? 

I would suggest windows need adjusting and towcar type totally irrevelant.

• Like 1

The 3 front windows on my Bailey do not have any adjustment, although all my other windows do. I can’t remember about the Lunar.

I also think the tow car make is irrelevant

15 minutes ago, WispMan said:

I also think the tow car make is irrelevant

Although the make is probably irrelevant, a high ground clearance combined with short rear overhang may well result in unusually high levels of spray being thrown up.

Properly fitting window seals in good condition should still be enough to prevent water getting in though.

Alternatively get a towing cover. Not only protects the windows from spray, it also protects the whole front against dirt, bugs and stones

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Lost in the wilderness said:

Alternatively get a towing cover. Not only protects the windows from spray, it also protects the whole front against dirt, bugs and stones

Why mask the problem? Something is clearly not right and needs fixing.

Andy

• Like 2

I think that it may be caused by the airflow behind the Discovery.  When towing with my Discovery 3, I often noticed the front window bowing inwards at speed.  Sinced changing my car to a SsangYong Turismo I haven't noticed it.  I suspect that the Discovery creates an area of high pressure in front of the caravan.  This could force water in through a poorly sealing window. 

Thank you all for the replies so far.

I don’t want to go down the towing cover route.

I think the reply made by  ‘Stevan’  is the nearest as to what is happening, especially as 2 of my  caravans have experienced the same problem.

So I hope other replies might come in from Disco 4  users.

How often do you clean and treat the window rubbers :mellow:

My Cadiz has stickers on the locker doors advising a periodic treatment of the sealing rubbers with silicon spray.

Perhaps the same would help the window seals, it would certainly mean that the windows wouldn't stick if the caravan is not used for long periods.

Hi conquest.

I have a Discovery 4 and prior to my current model towed with another D4 and before that a D3.

Not had your problem with either a Bailey Senator Louisiana or my Buccaneer Schooner at any time over the 13 year D3/D4 ownership periods and like WispMan feel that D4 design has little to do with your problem with it being down to seal clamping pressure.

As an aside, do you have mud flaps fitted to your D4?

Reason for asking is that prior to fitting rear mud flaps to mine, muck would get thrown quite high up the caravan front.

Have had a few rain dribbles coming down the inside of my centre front window seal whilst static but nothing towing.

My problem was a leak through the top run of sealant, re-gunned with Acrylic sealant and now cured, literally.

You could try slipping some cardboard under the window catches to try to pull the windows tighter to the rubber seals, might be cheaper than buying a front cover.

Bonne Chance

Assumining tha it is a similar layout to the older Lunar, I’d check the hinged window bars at the top. 

The sealant here deteriorates after 5years so the additional constant water spray whilst towing is likely to work its way through.

easy enough to fix but for a quick fix run a thin line of sealant along the top of each bar.

Many thanks to all for the replies.

Paul P, Artlenock...Windows are cleaned frequently and silicone spray applied yearly to the seals, which appear in prime condition.

Griff...... I have fitted Landrover mud flaps, that hasn’t made much difference.

Doosan..... I tried the cardboard remedy on the Lunar without success.

Springtime.... The Lunar was sold 2 years ago. The current combination is a Bailey Brindisi and the Disco 4.

For a test you might be able to tighten the windows up against the seals by putting a bit of card between the catches and the latch part. 

15 hours ago, DACS said:

I think that it may be caused by the airflow behind the Discovery.  When towing with my Discovery 3, I often noticed the front window bowing inwards at speed.  Sinced changing my car to a SsangYong Turismo I haven't noticed it.  I suspect that the Discovery creates an area of high pressure in front of the caravan.  This could force water in through a poorly sealing window. 

Interesting !

I tow with a D4 and one of the van's front windows has become permanently bowed inward. This happened shortly after the towbar was replaced and the new one was set too high, so that the van towed slightly nose up. Towbar since been adjusted but the window remains bowed.

However, I have never had a front leakage problem, and I too annually clean the rubbers with silicon, and I have LR OEM mudflaps although they don't stop muck being sprayed on the front of the van.

Posted (edited)

Agdz1.JPG.ba41d4d83d75a0f03cb0cc7d070dda16.JPGDSCF9230.thumb.JPG.fe6b224e634cdf8fb58eabedfb43aa2a.JPGHave towed with our D4 for the past 8 years and before that with a KIA Sorento and have not experienced any problems with our previous van - A Swift - or our current van an Airstream and whilst the pictures show the Moroccan deserts we have also experienced torrential rain.

Edited by TedNewman

Test for a poor seal by slipping paper between window and seal, closing catches and pulling paper.  It's a good seal if paper rips!

Surely ALL windows and catches have some adjustment possible?  If only via reversal of the fixed part from A to B? https://www.primaleisure.com/product/1010153 {More drastic would be filling holes and making new to tighten more}.

We did get a small pool inside once on our P2 Rimini after a wet tow, and I recall fettling  one window to cure it.