Sign in to follow this  
Gedgemeister

Buccaneer Cruiser Noseweight

Can anyone recommend a good nose weight gauge. I have a milenco but the max load is 130kg. Just tried my Cruiser and it passed  130kg. I moved things around a bit and it is probably just over 130. But I'd like to know exactly so I know where I am when towing. I'm towing with a Defender and a max nose weight of 150kg.

The NCC paperwork I have with the van suggests and ideal nose weight of 134.5 (7%) of MTPLM for stable towing.

Apreciate any views including any from Buccaneer twin axle owners. I posted earlier this week my experience of my jockey wheel coming up though the van A FRame when I was moving it prior to a trip. Hence my interest and checking.

Check the height to the centre of the towball from the floor when connected to the vehicle  then use the bathroom scales and cut a length of wood to give the correct height as when it is connected and that will give the nose weight . Then adjust the load to give the required nose weight .

Dave

My Cruiser is at 150kg but I changed the jockey wheel to a Maypole heavy duty, much stronger construction and a good top bearing.

Some of the early Buccaneers had a problem with the jockey wheel clamp bolt bottoming out before getting fully tight, you can put some grease on the end and check it, worth making sure the thread is well greased.

Ian

8 minutes ago, IanV8 said:

Some of the early Buccaneers had a problem with the jockey wheel clamp bolt bottoming out before getting fully tight, you can put some grease on the end and check it, worth making sure the thread is well greased.

Ian

A couple of 12mm washers on the clamp screw  will take up the wear .

Dave

Bathroom scale and a stick does for us, we bought a "special nose weight gauge", was total a waste of money and was taken back to the shop! ;)

16 hours ago, Gedgemeister said:

Can anyone recommend a good nose weight gauge. I have a milenco but the max load is 130kg. Just tried my Cruiser and it passed  130kg. I moved things around a bit and it is probably just over 130. But I'd like to know exactly so I know where I am when towing. I'm towing with a Defender and a max nose weight of 150kg.

The NCC paperwork I have with the van suggests and ideal nose weight of 134.5 (7%) of MTPLM for stable towing.

Apreciate any views including any from Buccaneer twin axle owners. I posted earlier this week my experience of my jockey wheel coming up though the van A FRame when I was moving it prior to a trip. Hence my interest and checking.

The maximum nose weight for the Cruiser is actually 150kg and Milenco have a nose weight gauge that goes up to 400kg.  We bought one and use it every now and then  to check nose weight.  Lot easier than faffing around with bathroom scales and pieces of wood.  :D

We have a Milenco and periodically check our Commodore is at 125kg which I find results in very stable towing. Never seen the need to go higher despite the D4 (on which I have a Witter fixed towbar being rated to 150kg). I think the 2.5 tons of the car + us and payload means our towing ratio is only around 70%, so big safety margin.

It's a good point alluded to above that the tow ball height is correct and sees the van sitting flat on the long axis when being towed.

As the OP has a Defender he may have options to adjust height to ensure this us the case. I did this on a concrete surface I checked for level before sticking van on it and levelling that. Worth the trouble...especially if you're a techy geek. 😅

On 01/05/2019 at 08:20, IanV8 said:

My Cruiser is at 150kg but I changed the jockey wheel to a Maypole heavy duty, much stronger construction and a good top bearing.

Ian,

Which of the Maypole jockey wheels did you buy please? I see they have a 150kg unit then it seems to go to 300-500kg.

I like the sound of something stronger and the locking pin to prevent rotation during towing.

Graham.

15 hours ago, GB1309 said:

Ian,

Which of the Maypole jockey wheels did you buy please? I see they have a 150kg unit then it seems to go to 300-500kg.

I like the sound of something stronger and the locking pin to prevent rotation during towing.

Graham.

The MP9743 rated up to 400kg nose weight.

The longer shaft and vertical handle make it easier to use.

Search EBay for Maypole heavy duty, there is a new one under £32.

Ian

• Thanks 1

On 01/05/2019 at 13:01, Durbanite said:

The maximum nose weight for the Cruiser is actually 150kg and Milenco have a nose weight gauge that goes up to 400kg.  We bought one and use it every now and then  to check nose weight.  Lot easier than faffing around with bathroom scales and pieces of wood.  :D

How do adjust the height as a twin axle is only right at the towball height ?

Dave

9 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

How do adjust the height as a twin axle is only right at the towball height ?

Dave

As we have air suspension the towball height can vary by a few inches.

19 minutes ago, IanV8 said:

Ian

Thanks again Ian. I'll look. 

Presume it's plug and play with the clamp bolting straight on with no chassis mods required?

Cheers again,

Graham.

24 minutes ago, IanV8 said:

Ian

Does the clamp need to be changed?

4 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

Does the clamp need to be changed?

Well spotted Ian. Doh!

Of course it does not. The Maypole units I had looked at were of the ribbed type so I had got that in my head.

Must have been a bit over excited this morning as I just won a brand new Truma gas filter for £12.50 + £7.50 p&p which is a bargain. Hopefully additional protection for the boiler (as discussed on Commodore  2017 thread).

Cheers from Tregarton Park.

Graham.

1 hour ago, Durbanite said:

As we have air suspension the towball height can vary by a few inches.

Same here, so the vehicle will seek to level itself depending upon the combined weight it sees when all up with towbar load added.

I had 3 choices with the Witter and optimum came out at the middle position as it best lined up the ball centre with the van set flat as I described above. The OP's  Defender will have coil springs so he won't  have this complication.

1 hour ago, IanV8 said:

Ian

Sorry to be picky on this Ian but I've been looking into this online and the 9743 is rated at 300kg and is 42mm diameter. (£28.99)

The 9741 is rated at 400kg and is 48mm diameter. (£33.99)

In most other respects there is not much in it.

I've measured ours today (155mm perimeter, so ÷ 3.142 gives 48mm).

So for the extra £5 I'm thinking the bigger diameter would be that bit more resistant to bending, which is the major reason I want to change it as over coarse surfaces it is not nice to watch if extended very far.

Any reason bar the fiver you made the choice you did?

Happy to be told I'm talking Brexit.😁

Graham.

PS: I see the OP has not been back on, perhaps I've driven him to despair. 

Sorry Graham, gave you the wrong part number, it is the 48mm diameter one and no changes required to the bracket.

Ian

46 minutes ago, IanV8 said:

Sorry Graham, gave you the wrong part number, it is the 48mm diameter one and no changes required to the bracket.

Ian

Thanks Ian,

Glad I got that right.

Took our BPW one off this morning and measured it. Surprised to find that the adjustment range (260mm) is slightly greater than the MP9741 even though the latter is 200mm taller.

I guess then the advantage of the MP will be in build quality and that it has a locking pin which is a good safety feature. I'll try to see one in the flesh before I decide.

PS: I have fitted an Al-Ko 240x70mm soft rubber (not  pneumatic) tyre to our existing unit which does make transit over stones a lot easier.

Cheers and thanks,

Graham.

PPS: I see the existing bracket is welded on, so we don't  want to go there!