Adria - Fault on car lights cable

I have a new Adria Colorado which I collected 01/03/19 - on the fourth outing  (Thurs 18th April 7 weeks later) we arrived on site to find the cable which connects the car lights to the caravan had completely become detached from the chassis, it was still securely connected to the car.  Needless to say it was damaged, the worst area of which was nearest the van rather than the car, leading me to think it had become detached from the chassis first.  We needed a mobile engineer to come out to complete the repair, he has said that the chassis only had one retaining clip which doesn't sound sufficient.  Has anyone else had this issue?  Dealer is saying it's not covered under the warranty despite being only seven weeks old as it's user error!  I understand that excess cable can drag along the ground at the front (nearest the car) if there is an excess of cable which isn’t secured, but I am baffled that the cable is able to detach completely from the chassis, moreover that there is only one clip to secure it.  

If if anyone else has had a problem I would love to hear about it.

If the cable dragged on the road then no matter how many clips were in place it would become damaged and either rub through all the insulation or detach at the caravan end as the fitting on the caravan is usually a fairly simply push fit multi pin connector rather than the twist lock on the car if using 13 pin. What i've always done is use a short bungee to alleviate some of the slack but allow the cable to move through it if needed. 2nd caravan we had went through the insulation but thankfully didn't take the wiring out but i bought a new cable and replaced anyway.

The problem is that nobody will ever know for certain whether it became dislodged because of it getting caught on debris (road or field) or failed to hold and fell out.

Sometimes the spare excess cable change pulled back through the clips under the caravan and secured .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

This is the second time I have heard of this happening. Same thing happenened to Andrew Ditton on a loan Isonzo, saw it on his Youtube channel, so it may actually be a  manufacturing issue. 

Am having my van serviced in 2 weeks, will get dealer to make doubly sure on cable security.

We have a 2017 Colorado.   I found cable was too long so pulled some spare back under Caravan and added extra fixing as Dave advised.  The cable seemed well fixed under the van before I pulled back and added extra fixing but it was very long and would have snagged on the floor if not sorted.   How is it user error if still fixed to car?  Disappointing dealer will not sort it on such a new caravan.   May be worth visiting them and asking again?  Good luck. 

Michael

Thanks for all your comments, it's great to hear others advice, experience and support.  I have just sent the attached photos to the technical team at Caravan club for them to *****, however I would love to hear your thoughts.

FRONT SECTION ONLY.JPG

DAMAGE POINT 6.JPG

DAMAGE POINT 5.JPG

DAMAGE POINT 4.JPG

DAMAGE POINT 3.JPG

DAMAGE POINT 2.JPG

DAMAGE POINT 1.JPG

COMPLETE.JPG

ATTACHED TO VAN 4.JPG

ATTACHED TO VAN 3.JPG

ATTACHED TO VAN 2.JPG

ATTACHED TO VAN 1.JPG

That looks like a cable that has been dragged along the tarmac. We don't know how many clips supported the cable originally as the event which caused the cable to drag may have taken the clip off the chassis. My cables (2 x 7-pin)  would do the same but I have them supported by a bungee knotted over the jockey wheel handle. Keeps the cables up and stops the jockey wheel undoing.

hawkaye :beardy: