Phippsmaz1

Newly Widowed In A Quandary

Please forgive me if I´ve posted in the wrong section but I really need advise and help on a bit of a random dilemma, my Husband has died after a very long illness but one of our dreams for when he got well was to buy a caravan, we´ve owned caravans and a motorhome in the past so just love everything about camping , just to add I live in Spain and don´t drive but I have got options for storage from a company called Monster Movers and they offer the service of delivering the caravan to whichever campsite I want and picking it up at the end basically they will take it wherever I want them to, the thing is I´m so nervous about doing this on my own, I´m quite hands on and from experience people on sites are so helpful so I think I would be okay emptying the loo etc LOL, but the caravan I´m looking at is quite expensive 18,000€ for a 2013 Coachman Pastiche. I just need your thoughts, one thing I´ve learned is life is too short and I have explored every avenue possible of escaping the area I live in through the summer months when it gets way too hot and way too busy, this has included Airbnb, buying a static caravan, and privately renting somewhere further north and that 18k would soon get eaten up in a couple of years, so please tell me what you think even if you think I´m being stupid I need other peoples perspective on this.  Thanks for reading.

I send sympathy and wish you well.

But my advice is rent rather than buy - on a campsite or an apartment or a cottage, or go away with a friend who does drive, or fly further afield, or look at small tour groups for people in your situation.  Explore all the options. Good luck. 

• Like 2

First of all, I echo the previous poster's thoughts. It sounds like you value your independence and as you're perfectly at ease on campsites, my immediate thought (providing there is no medical reason not to) is for you to bite the bullet and learn to drive, as that will immediately open up so many other options for you, not just for trips away (when it gets too hot at home) but also for enhancing everyday life. Have you considered a one week intensive driving course, where you start with a chalk and talk session on the Monday and take a driving test on the Friday?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

you don't say what age category you are in. If you are getting on a bit , then I would suggest that  you take moorgate's advice  ( see above ) however if you are a bit younger then try all that life has to offer, as they say. If you are sure that you will use a caravan on your own, then fine but that's a lot to pay out.  I see that a lot of caravan sites offer all sorts of accommodation  to hire nowadays, so that you could enjoy the camp life without putting all your eggs in one basket , so to speak.  Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

Edited by joanie
  • Like 1

My sympathy lies with the OP as I guess she lives in S. Spain, possibly in Andalucia where I am at the moment. I have family here and daughter and  her 3 sons cannot take the heat of this area in July and August.

So she comes over to the UK and the four of them take over our house and lives for 2 months every year.

6 months ago they (and we) looked at going north 4 hours drive away in Valencia, solely to get coo,er weather in the height of summer.

Caravans here in August are a hot tin box and I have seen the inside of a Hobby with the whole of one side (the sunny side) looking like it had been in a fire - all from the heat 24 hours a day for months. 

I have no solution except not to buy property here in the first place. I come here 4 or 5 times a year but never from 1st week May to 3rd week in October. Today it is still April and in the shade of our villa it is 27 C. Too hot for me already. 

Have you considered selling up and moving a few hours north where it is cooler?

Yes your right Graham I live Southern Costa Blanca and apart from the latter part of July and August I love it here, my son lives with me and loves it too all his friends are here and he copes better with the heat of course because of his age so it wouldn´t just be me upping sticks and moving, I still have my Mum, brother and 2 daughters in the UK and of course I love them very much but and I know this sounds really shallow but I just want to have some me time also my Mum only has one bathroom LOL you know how we get used to having 2 that´s why it works just fine with my Son he lives upstairs with his facilities and I´m downstairs with mine. I was just thinking of a way to have something I could escape to sometimes, its tough putting on that smile and pretending to be fine so as not to upset others, maybe I should just go back to the drawing board and try to rent somewhere but everywhere is getting booked up plus the price is scary, but thanks to everyone for your replies.

A lot of us go caravanning on our own for various reasons and quite like it. So being on your own is not likely to be a problem, you just have the logistics of moving a caravan around. Having somebody else to do it does mean you do not need a large tow car so that can be considered to keep the cost down. If you do buy, your money is not all lost since you can later sell it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, WispMan said:

My sympathy lies with the OP as I guess she lives in S. Spain, possibly in Andalucia where I am at the moment. I have family here and daughter and  her 3 sons cannot take the heat of this area in July and August.

Is it the heat and the humidity associated with the heat that is a factor?  We like heat but not the humidity that comes with it.

Edited by Durbanite

It is not the humidity - only the heat. Daughter and s-i-l were looking at moving to Valencia for a cooler climate but it is significant that the OP is already in the Valencia area and seeking a cooler place for the height of the summer.

Where we are now it can easily reach above 30 for the summer months and approach 40 in  July and August. In my s-i-l's workshop it has at times been over 50. The 3 grandchildren live an outside life but when the temps are too high then my daughter keeps them indoors from 10am to 6pm. That's why she comes over to the UK.

This week it is normal but daytime it is 25 to 26 and I have to remember to drink regularly of I suffer dehydration.

We are in a desert recognized as being the driest area in the whole of Europe.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, WispMan said:

It is not the humidity - only the heat. Daughter and s-i-l were looking at moving to Valencia for a cooler climate but it is significant that the OP is already in the Valencia area and seeking a cooler place for the height of the summer.

Where we are now it can easily reach above 30 for the summer months and approach 40 in  July and August. In my s-i-l's workshop it has at times been over 50. The 3 grandchildren live an outside life but when the temps are too high then my daughter keeps them indoors from 10am to 6pm. That's why she comes over to the UK.

This week it is normal but daytime it is 25 to 26 and I have to remember to drink regularly of I suffer dehydration.

We are in a desert recognized as being the driest area in the whole of Europe.

When working in temperatures above 30C we sued to start work at about 6am working until about 11am and then stopping until about 4pm and then work until about 7pm. 

However we digress from the OPs thread and IMHO £18k is a bit much for a 2013 caravan.  OP should be looking at a 4 year old caravan as the manufacturers damp warranty can be transferred and most dealers  offers a longer warranty.  I would also recommend that the OP pays a deposit using a credit card, then places a large deposit and has some finance on HP to keep repayments low.  That way in the event anything goes pear shaped they are well and truly covered by legislation.

Is the legislation the same in Spain as the UK ?

My commiserations to you.  I have a husband who has been poorly recently, and is in hospital for a new heart valve.  He's 80 in November, but we both love caravanning (been through the list from tent to caravan starting way back in the 1980s).  If something happened to my hubby, I would like to think I would still like to go out in the caravan.  My hubby even said that I should learn to tow the caravan.  I've been driving since I was 18, and I'm now 65.  So that's my next item on my bucket list.

• Like 1

Have we discovered whether the OP is buying in Spain to keep in Spain or buying in Spain to export to the UK for the hot summers?

Either way she will not be bound by UK rules on paying with a CC.

I agree that €18k for a 2013 van is a little dear but the market for caravans in Spain is much smaller than in the UK.

Moving vehicles tends to be about £1  per mile in the UK, so could be  higher for caravans in Spain.

So holiday in UK or Spain?

Have we discovered whether the OP is buying in Spain to keep in Spain or buying in Spain to export to the UK for the hot summers?

Either way she will not be bound by UK rules on paying with a CC.

I agree that €18k for a 2013 van is a little dear but the market for caravans in Spain is much smaller than in the UK.

Moving vehicles tends to be about £1  per mile in the UK, so could be  higher for caravans in Spain.

So holiday in UK or Spain?

P.S. Monster Movers are Alicante based, I discovered, and seem to have good reviews. Can I suggest you get a quote for moving a 1700kg caravan from Alicante about 300km north and/or Southern UK?

Also, if you are wanting to move a touring caravan within Spain, then there are plenty of companies with tow vehicles that will tow for you. 

If you buy the caravan in Spain it may have Spanish trailer plates so any Spanish registered vehicle can tow it.

If the caravan has UK plates, then it can only be towed by a UK plated vehicle.

Hope this is clear. 

Thank you everyone for your replies  I have decided to buy in Spain and keep within Spain but Monster Movers have assured me that even if I buy an English registered Van they are able to transport it legally as they tow all around Europe including UK but the Coachman I am interested in has been re registered onto Spanish Plates which will need to be ITV´d the equivalent of UK MOT I don´t know how often that will need doing but it´s a requirement for anything over 750kg over here all these things of course are going to add up financially but my poor Husband had only just cashed in all his private pension as he´d already had 1 brain tumour which was successfully removed but then unfortunately he went on to grow 2 more, he did buy a motorhome something he had always dreamed of but sadly had to sell it in the end, so what I´m getting at is he had only just retired and had the money to do what he wanted after working all his life and then he died before he could enjoy it, so really money means nothing to me now, I will just have to decide whether to book holidays and pay exorbitant prices or buy my own caravan I´m beginning to think perhaps the holiday route will be better for me in the long run oh I don´t know it´s just when these things happen you sort of lose enthusiasm for stuff and I suppose I was just looking for something to focus on, but thank you  all again your thoughts have been very helpful to me.

We are always here to offer advice, help or even just an online shoulder to discuss your thoughts and options.

The advice may not always be the right advice for you but our members are never short of suggestions. This ain't a quiet forum.

I begin to understand your situation and can see that money is not important. I hope you find a solution that enables you to live how you wish. I can imagine you miss your husband to discuss life's options with.

Do keep in touch.

• Like 1

Hi.  Thank you for sharing your situation with us.  I guess you are sixes and sevens just now.  My twopenny worth would be that now is not the time to make decisions that are more difficult to undo.  Buying a caravan and having someone tow it may give you the comfort that you are seeking, or it may not.  What about renting a touring caravan for a couple of months this year have it towed, to the location that you would like, and see if that works for you,  If it does then spend the money next year, and either use the tow company or store it on a favoured site and have them pitch it for you.   If you find a site that you like you may also find some other friendly regulars.

all the best with whatever you decide

mel

• Like 1

On 02/05/2019 at 16:03, Phippsmaz1 said:

Thank you everyone for your replies  I have decided to buy in Spain and keep within Spain but Monster Movers have assured me that even if I buy an English registered Van they are able to transport it legally as they tow all around Europe including UK but the Coachman I am interested in has been re registered onto Spanish Plates which will need to be ITV´d the equivalent of UK MOT I don´t know how often that will need doing but it´s a requirement for anything over 750kg over here all these things of course are going to add up financially but my poor Husband had only just cashed in all his private pension as he´d already had 1 brain tumour which was successfully removed but then unfortunately he went on to grow 2 more, he did buy a motorhome something he had always dreamed of but sadly had to sell it in the end, so what I´m getting at is he had only just retired and had the money to do what he wanted after working all his life and then he died before he could enjoy it, so really money means nothing to me now, I will just have to decide whether to book holidays and pay exorbitant prices or buy my own caravan I´m beginning to think perhaps the holiday route will be better for me in the long run oh I don´t know it´s just when these things happen you sort of lose enthusiasm for stuff and I suppose I was just looking for something to focus on, but thank you  all again your thoughts have been very helpful to me.

I sincerely recommend that you do nothing major financially speaking until things begin to settle down emotionally.  You can try a variety of breaks without major commitment.  A lot of campsites have units to rent for example.  Campsites tend to be a bit out of the way if you are not a car driver.  

I have been a caravanner for nearly fifty years but it doesn't suit everyone.  Also it may seem cheap but buying the caravan is just start of it.  It can be a right money pit.

If it were me I'd be looking for a friend in similar circumstances and perhaps try a cruise or a package holiday together.

Good luck for the future.

• Thanks 1

What Rovinmad said.

Do nothing for now, but bear in mind that there are many forms of holiday you can choose like chalets and camp sites to top of the range cruises.  All should come without the possible agro and worry buying, maintaining and moving a second hand tourer could bring.

Take your time.

John

We lost my dad at the start of the year after what was quite a short illness. 

They were both caravanners and my mum had been away in the van once, having it towed to and from site. She's also managed a holiday with friends.

I think only you can know what's right. Everyone is different and each loss hits people differently.

If you have the resources to try something, then I'd say try it, especially if you are feeling that you want to - we weren't sure if Mum would be doing anything so soon as she is and I know she finds it hard when she's on her own in the evenings.

If it's a caravan that you have in mind then there are ways to try before you buy, especially as you will be going down the non touring route. Even if you buy, if it's second hand you shouldn't lose too much if you sell again soon, so long you don't buy an over priced van.