Sign in to follow this  
Cheltenham Caravanner

B+E Licence

It seems that if you want to upgrade a "B only" licence to "B+E"  you have to pass another test.

Does that test entail towing ? or is it just a repeat of the original test.

I don't need to do this as I already have B+E but would be interesting to know.

3 minutes ago, Cheltenham Caravanner said:

It seems that if you want to upgrade a "B only" licence to "B+E"  you have to pass another test.

Does that test entail towing ? or is it just a repeat of the original test.

I don't need to do this as I already have B+E but would be interesting to know.

Yes, the test is with a trailer attached

It entails towing. Google b + e test and select the  gov.uk link and it explains it all.

50 minutes ago, Cheltenham Caravanner said:

So what sort of places are used for the reversing exercise ?

I would imagine that as the reversing test area has to be set out to specific dimensions according to the size of vehicle being tested, then it would have to be in a private area away from the public highway. Probably at the test centre. 

I was one of those lucky ones that upon passing a small car test was let loose on the highway with permission to drive larger vehicles, with or without a trailer attached. As my driving instructor said at the time, "Now you've passed your test, you can learn to drive". How right he was! To be honest, all that is needed is a little common sense to tow a trailer but current regulations dictate that we now need to be trained at additional expense and then take a further test before a driving licence can be upgraded to what was previously issued as standard to everyone. I'm not saying that training to tow a trailer is never needed but some take to it naturally while others are fearful of the whole idea.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Cheltenham Caravanner said:

So what sort of places are used for the reversing exercise ?

Usually done in an L.G.V. driving test area   www.google.co.uk/maps/place/8+Patrick+Green,+Oulton,+Leeds+LS26+8HE/@53.7252947,-1.4724912,56m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x4879678a8cfb0f73:0x3316630e58691138!8m2!3d53.7266798!4d-1.471665?hl=en   This one is near Leeds, West Yorkshire

Edited by Flat_at

I've always been unsure about what extra the +E gets you. With a cat B licence, you can have a total train weight of 3500kg as long as the trailer is less than the vehicle (which you'd want it to be anyway).  Does the +E allow you to drive a vehicle upto 3500kg and tow a trailer upto 3500kg, ie a total weight of 7000kg?

5 minutes ago, anthdci said:

I've always been unsure about what extra the +E gets you. With a cat B licence, you can have a total train weight of 3500kg as long as the trailer is less than the vehicle (which you'd want it to be anyway).  Does the +E allow you to drive a vehicle upto 3500kg and tow a trailer upto 3500kg, ie a total weight of 7000kg?

Basically yes but it is a little more complicated. https://www.gov.uk/driving-licence-categories explains the licence categories. There is also a link on that page that allows you to check your own licence.

6 minutes ago, Flying Grandad said:

Basically yes but it is a little more complicated. https://www.gov.uk/driving-licence-categories explains the licence categories. There is also a link on that page that allows you to check your own licence.

yea I've been on that page but it's as clear as mud

Category BE

You can drive a vehicle with a MAM of 3,500kg with a trailer.

The size of the trailer depends on the BE ‘valid from’ date shown on your licence. If the date is:

before 19 January 2013, you can tow any size trailer

on or after 19 January 2013, you can tow a trailer with a MAM of up to 3,500kg

with a cat B licence, you can drive a vehicle with a MAM of 3,500 with a trailer, that caveat is that the trailer must be less than the weight of the vehicle and combined weight cannot be over 3500kg.  So the +E  removed these caveats whereas if you passed it after 2013 you can drive a vehicle upto 3500kg and tow upto 3500kg giving a total of 7000kg. If you passed before 2013 you can drive a vehicle upto 3500kg and tow any sized trailer (not that you'd want above 3500kg anyway). Does that sound right?

Posted (edited)

My companion who will be 70 in June has been given advanced notice that she will need apply for  a licence of three years duration if she wishes to continue to drive after the age of 70.

Her paper licence only shows categories A and E. It will interesting to see if the card licence issued contains more categories. The paper licence was issued on 18/7/1978

Edited by DeeTee
2nd edit added sentence

27 minutes ago, anthdci said:

with a cat B licence, you can drive a vehicle with a MAM of 3,500 with a trailer, that caveat is that the trailer must be less than the weight of the vehicle and combined weight cannot be over 3500kg.  So the +E  removed these caveats whereas if you passed it after 2013 you can drive a vehicle upto 3500kg and tow upto 3500kg giving a total of 7000kg. If you passed before 2013 you can drive a vehicle upto 3500kg and tow any sized trailer (not that you'd want above 3500kg anyway). Does that sound right?

The section marked in red is not correct. It was until 2013 but then the restriction was removed.

Regardless of any driving licence restrictions, a vehicle under 3500kg is unlikely to be able to tow a trailer over 3500kg because trailers over 3500kg require an independent braking system and few vehicles under 3500kg have provisions for such systems.

Search on YouTube for "trailer towing test" and there are lots of companies on there touting for business that show what is involved in a typical test.

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, DeeTee said:

My companion who will be 70 in June has been given advanced notice that she will need apply for  a licence of three years duration if she wishes to continue to drive after the age of 70.

Her paper licence only shows categories A and E. It will interesting to see if the card licence issued contains more categories. The paper licence was issued on 18/7/1978

A is a motorcycle, E is a trailer. Eh, a motorbike with a trailer? Has she ever taken a car driving test?

Edited by Woodentop

1 minute ago, Woodentop said:

A is a motorcycle, E is a trailer. Eh, a motorbike with a trailer? Has she even taken a car driving test?

As far as I am aware, whilst she will ride pillion at any and every opportunity, she has never been a motor bike rider.

She is not so old to have been exempt from a test.:unsure:

50 minutes ago, Woodentop said:

A is a motorcycle, E is a trailer. Eh, a motorbike with a trailer? Has she ever taken a car driving test?

DeeTee was referring to an old paper licence where the categories are different.

An 'A' paper licence is not for a motorcycle but covers what is basically now categories BE, C1E, and D1E.

An 'E' paper licence was for a moped, now category A

As stated the BE test takes place at an LGV testing centre, I did mine in Guildford. You then take to the road for the remainder as per a car test without the manoeuvres. How I wish I'd done my car test when I did the bike and not left it........

Cheltenham Caravanner,

You'll probably have seen this, it's how it's done around us. : -

image.thumb.png.e494a29dc90904e22cee16f25846d35a.png

They're based at William Gilder's Transport Yard at Teddington Hands which would allow for the manoevering part of the test.

4 hours ago, anthdci said:

Can we please stop repeating this myth - the requirement for B-only drivers not to exceed 100% was withdrawn in about 2013 - while it's undesirable to tow a caravan over 100%, it's ok with other types of trailer provided that all limits are complied with.

17 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

Can we please stop repeating this myth - the requirement for B-only drivers not to exceed 100% was withdrawn in about 2013 - while it's undesirable to tow a caravan over 100%, it's ok with other types of trailer provided that all limits are complied with.

sorry, I didn't know it was removed. When you say withdrawn do you mean for those who passed after 2013, or have they removed it for everyone?

Just now, anthdci said:

sorry, I didn't know it was removed. When you say withdrawn do you mean for those who passed after 2013, or have they removed it for everyone?

For everyone .

Dave

• Like 1

5 hours ago, anthdci said:

My own licence (test passed in 1968), on the Gov site states: -

Category; BE

Description

You can drive category B vehicles with trailer when combined weight of vehicle and trailer is over 3,500kg

It does not state a limit to the trailer weight.

In any case, seeing as we are talking about caravans, I don't think that even some American monster of a 'van would exceed the current (post 2013) 3500 kg limit.

6 hours ago, Gordon said:

I would imagine that as the reversing test area has to be set out to specific dimensions according to the size of vehicle being tested, then it would have to be in a private area away from the public highway. Probably at the test centre. 

I was one of those lucky ones that upon passing a small car test was let loose on the highway with permission to drive larger vehicles, with or without a trailer attached. As my driving instructor said at the time, "Now you've passed your test, you can learn to drive". How right he was! To be honest, all that is needed is a little common sense to tow a trailer but current regulations dictate that we now need to be trained at additional expense and then take a further test before a driving licence can be upgraded to what was previously issued as standard to everyone. I'm not saying that training to tow a trailer is never needed but some take to it naturally while others are fearful of the whole idea.

I have long maintained that in this country we don't teach people to drive, we teach them to pass a test. Probably why generally speaking driving and especially courtesy to other road users has all but vanished.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Flying Grandad said:

My own licence (test passed in 1968), on the Gov site states: -

Category; BE

Description

You can drive category B vehicles with trailer when combined weight of vehicle and trailer is over 3,500kg

It does not state a limit to the trailer weight.

In any case, seeing as we are talking about caravans, I don't think that even some American monster of a 'van would exceed the current (post 2013) 3500 kg limit.

B+E pre 97 has no limit only the limit of the vehicle which you would need if you purchased a 5th wheel Celtic Rambler as a example that has a 4300 kg mam and towed by a UK pickup like a Navara or Dmax at under 3500kg GVW .

http://fifthwheelco.com/celtic-rambler/

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave