Sign in to follow this  
dob80

Gas smell in caravan from fridge

Hi all.

Ali have a sterling Europa 2007

During the last trip we noticed  a gas smell from the fridge area.

The fridge has no issues when using gas supply so the 1st thing I did was check the flue via the external access panel, There was minor signs of soot but gas was flowing through, it just seems that it is trapped with the access panel area. I have tried to extend the pipe whilst I was away without hookup which seems to work but obviously not a permanent solution.

Is this just a case of cleaning out the flue pipe ?

Or am I staring the barrel of major £££s for a new fridge.

I  am a brewery engineer by trade so don't mind taking on the job of preparing the fridge it's having the time ( and knowledge from you guys) to do it.

Thanks

Darren

If you have any concerns about the fridge I would refer it to a service engineer who is trained to deal with it. I advise not to mess about with it.

Is it gas smell or gas fumes that you're smelling 

Posted (edited)

As the fridge works and you have not had a smell of ammonia then you are not into buying a replacement fridge, it is only a burner/jet issue a cheap job typically taking 10  to 15 minutes if access is available, or an hour if it needs a fridge out job.

I do mine, but these days the PC stance is to get a leisure vehicle gas engineer in as DIY with anything gas  is frowned on.

Dead simple though if access is there via the lower side vent, the burner clover is removable after one self tapping screw is removed. Buy a new jet before you start, just in case that is needed to be replaced, but normally it is spider web or flue rust detritus on the burner etc that causes the issues, though muck in the gas supply partly blocking the jet might have happed over the years.

Getting fumes in the van even with a poor burner should not happen as the fridge external side should be sealed from the van's internal space. However, lousy installation of fridges is par for the course in caravans.

Edited by JTQ

Fridges last many years as there is not much that can go wrong on a absorbent fridge . If it has a leak it will show a yellow stain . If you take a fridge out to service it you need to check after with a gas test you have no gas leaks .

Smell as said could be gas fumes if the flue is blocked and I have cleaned my fridges after removal a number of times and the flue get blocked with soot and spiders webs .

Posted (edited)

Quite a few years ago when I had a Bailey Imperial I noticed a smell of gas in the van.   Eventually I examined the supply pipe to the fridge which was stapled up the inside of the under-sink cupboard then curved to cross into the fridge space.   Probably because of vibration,  on the inside of the bend, the copper pipe was beginning to fracture, allowing a small amount of gas to escape.

Edited by Jaydug