Sign in to follow this  
Les Medes

Clip On Coat Hangers

Mrs M saw the advert in CMC magazine and thought that may be a good idea, has anyone used these and what are your opinion of them, we have for many years used old cushions to stop the hangers falling off the rail whilst en route and I must say it has been very successful, I first saw these clip on hangers when they were first launched and thought it was a good idea until I saw the cost, now they are £27.99 which immediately put me off bearing in mind the amount of hangers Mrs M takes when we go on our 6 to 8 week jaunts in Europe, it would probably cost nearly £90.00, now that is a lot of cans of Sam Miguel.

You comments would be greatly appreciated, the worse the better !!!!!!   ;)  

Posted (edited)

If they are the ones with wire clips they are useless - they dont fall off but they are so flimsy that they break if you put much more than a shirt on them. SWMBO bought a set a couple of years ago and we have two left.

We bought some significantly  better ones at the NEC in February. Much stronger and much much cheaper. I cant remember who from but I think they were only about £10 rather than the silyl price of those in the CMC mag.

I'll have a shufti to see where they came from

Here you are - https://www.seaflo-uk.com/6-x-coat-clothes-hangers-with-safety-hook-top-for-camping-caravan-motorhome-home-9420-p.asp They were a bit cheaper than this at the show. They are made of a more substantial and better plastic than the lock-on ones.  The hooks don't come off the rail even around where we live which give a real bounce test for anything in the caravan and car. We might get a few more now I've found them on the web

Edited by matelodave

Leedslass, put 22mm foam pipe lagging over our hanging rail and secured it with plastic tie wraps - clever lass!  It stops the coat hangers making a bid for freedom.    :)

John.

9 minutes ago, Leedslad said:

Leedslass, put 22mm foam pipe lagging over our hanging rail and secured it with plastic tie wraps - clever lass!  It stops the coat hangers making a bid for freedom.    :)

John.

We do the same. Our insulation isn't even tied in place. Our wardrobe is right at the back and this is the worst layout for clothes jumping, but with the foam insulation we have never lost anything. 

12 minutes ago, Leedslad said:

John.

+1 cost £2 from local hardware store for a 2m length so have 1.5m left if anybody wants it..

We used pipe lagging  for the best part of 20 years and I thought it worked OK but SWMBO is a bit of a sucker for a gadget and saw these magic coat hangers and had to have some.

I'd still be happy to use pipe insulation:unsure:

It's the same with our crockery, the Melamine stuff had served us well both on the boat and in the caravan for over 30 years and then she saw CORELLE and decided that all our stuff had to be replaced. 

Ok, it's nice but expensive and we've managed to break one plate already:(

I don't understand this post.  Are we the only ones that have so many clothes in the wardrobe, that nothing moves?!? :)

Our Folding Caravan requires the wardrobe to be folded down horizontal to the floor. Clothes can stay in situ [but I have add 3 storage shelves to give better storage for when on site] or be folded into the drawers. Enforces the discipline of not packing too many clothes and encourages the purchase of non-iron garments, so the ironing board just needs hoovering to remove the dust ... Coat hangers are an anachronism.

Steve

1 hour ago, Leedslad said:

John.

We tried that but found two cushions were best, thanks for the comment

34 minutes ago, Wunny said:

I don't understand this post.  Are we the only ones that have so many clothes in the wardrobe, that nothing moves?!? :)

Nothing moves in our wardrobe. It's full.

2 hours ago, matelodave said:

If they are the ones with wire clips they are useless - they dont fall off but they are so flimsy that they break if you put much more than a shirt on them. SWMBO bought a set a couple of years ago and we have two left.

We bought some significantly  better ones at the NEC in February. Much stronger and much much cheaper. I cant remember who from but I think they were only about £10 rather than the silyl price of those in the CMC mag.

I'll have a shufti to see where they came from

Here you are - https://www.seaflo-uk.com/6-x-coat-clothes-hangers-with-safety-hook-top-for-camping-caravan-motorhome-home-9420-p.asp They were a bit cheaper than this at the show. They are made of a more substantial and better plastic than the lock-on ones.  The hooks don't come off the rail even around where we live which give a real bounce test for anything in the caravan and car. We might get a few more now I've found them on the web

Thanks Matelodave, I will send for a couple of packs to try them

51 minutes ago, Wunny said:

No - this is HER method as well!

4 hours ago, Leedslad said:

John.

That is one of the best ideas around and we used it in a previous caravan.  In the current caravan we never carry clothes as they go in the car!

On 28/04/2019 at 08:48, Ern said:

We do the same. Our insulation isn't even tied in place. Our wardrobe is right at the back and this is the worst layout for clothes jumping, but with the foam insulation we have never lost anything. 

Ditto.

We use curtain rail rings with very small holes for the coat hanger hook Never had one fall off to date

I modified existing ones by squeezing the hook together in a vice until you just need minimum pressure to push/pull the hook on or off the rail, works a treat.