Sign in to follow this  
Gordon

New bike price

I came across these receipts for my first new bike the other day. It was for a Falcon "Black Diamond" finished in "Flamboyant Purple" bought in 1970 and except for having a front chain wheel set is similar to the one in the image below. I paid the princely sum of £32 19s 6d and as you can see I had to put down a deposit of one whole pound when placing the order. I've hidden the address on the receipts but we used to live in a small village near to Abingdon - before it was moved from Berkshire to Oxfordshire and my car insurance went up overnight! I still have that bike almost 50 years later but it now has white forks following a "close encounter" with a mini van many years ago.

image.png          image.png

Falcon cycle in flamboyant purple.jpg

Strange thing inflation!

Back in the early 70s, before I started my main career I worked for a while in an electrical retailer and we sold automatic washing machines from around £90 to £160 and 28" colour TVs for around £250!

Incidentally we had a lovely Easter weekend on a rally in Abingdon last week!

20 minutes ago, Stevan said:

Strange thing inflation!

Back in the early 70s, before I started my main career I worked for a while in an electrical retailer and we sold automatic washing machines from around £90 to £160 and 28" colour TVs for around £250!

In the early 70s I recall going to see an exhibition of colour TVs in an exhibition stall. They were very exotic items at that time and were about £400 (roughly 16 times the average weekly wage at that time), and they certainly weren't anywhere near as big as 28".

Another thing I remember is that the room had very subdued lighting, presumably to show the colours at their best, and the variation in the colour balance of each maker's picture. 

15 minutes ago, daveat92 said:

In the early 70s I recall going to see an exhibition of colour TVs in an exhibition stall. They were very exotic items at that time and were about £400 (roughly 16 times the average weekly wage at that time), and they certainly weren't anywhere near as big as 28".

Another thing I remember is that the room had very subdued lighting, presumably to show the colours at their best, and the variation in the colour balance of each maker's picture. 

Ah! The colour telly demo in a darkened room . . .

I recall the same at the Science Museum in London's Exhibition Road. We all filed past this monstrosity in a darkened side room off of a balcony, and were hurried along as there was such a long queue to see this latest innovation :D

I recall also owning our first colour TV. We only had a black and white TV licence at the time and then obtained this piece of furniture that comprised a colour TV in a wooden case the size of a sideboard, so my "good lady" went out and purchased a colour licence for thirty something quid. Within a couple of weeks, while we still had a colour licence the colour TV was no more, having spontaneously combusted one evening, so we reverted to the good old B/W set. Happy(ish) days!

53 minutes ago, Stevan said:

That wouldn't be at the Cricket Club down by the river by any chance would it? 

But I digress . . .

53 minutes ago, daveat92 said:

TV technology advanced in leaps and bounds between 1970 and 1975. My experience relates to 1972 to 1975, by 1975 there were 28" TVs for around £250, for the more basic models.

1 hour ago, Gordon said:

I came across these receipts for my first new bike the other day.  I paid the princely sum of £32 19s 6d

Here's another receipt from 1970.   It's for a new gas boiler, 8 radiators and valves, 300ft of copper tube, Honeywell control system, an expansion tank and a copper cylinder.   Including delivery £292.12.3d.     It took me two weeks to install it and the same system is still running now - except I'm on the fourth gas boiler.

IMG_20190427_150409.jpg.a5ccf9813673a495f0d94a451756159a.jpgIMG_20190427_150447.jpg.c63ca7b18b1005fa93a8d53a247978dc.jpg

On 27/04/2019 at 13:32, Gordon said:

I came across these receipts for my first new bike the other day. It was for a Falcon "Black Diamond" finished in "Flamboyant Purple" bought in 1970 and except for having a front chain wheel set is similar to the one in the image below. I paid the princely sum of £32 19s 6d and as you can see I had to put down a deposit of one whole pound when placing the order. I've hidden the address on the receipts but we used to live in a small village near to Abingdon - before it was moved from Berkshire to Oxfordshire and my car insurance went up overnight! I still have that bike almost 50 years later but it now has white forks following a "close encounter" with a mini van many years ago.     

My road bike cost the princely sum of 3 Grand, 2 1/2 Grand for my Mountain Bike, there are another 7 expensive bikes in my garage, a wide array of tools, self built wheels, parts and other paraphernalia, I really need to stop buying and pottering about with bikes. I suppose there are worse things I could be wasting my money on.   

£32 was a lot of money back then Gordon, if you want quality, it costs money.

It’s components like this that cost an arm and a leg

7C39857F-9F94-431B-91F4-19C3204461DA.jpeg

23 hours ago, Jaydug said:

Here's another receipt from 1970.   It's for a new gas boiler, 8 radiators and valves, 300ft of copper tube, Honeywell control system, an expansion tank and a copper cylinder.   Including delivery £292.12.3d.     It took me two weeks to install it and the same system is still running now - except I'm on the fourth gas boiler.

I started work with Barclays Bank on 14th September 1970, having been offered the job 'subject to passing at least 4 GCE O Levels, including English Language and Mathematics', some 3 months earlier. The conditional job offer showed a starting salary of £410 per annum, but when I actually started work, there had been a payrise, and my new salary was £441 per annum. I remember that I didn't earn enough to pay Income Tax, but I did have to pay NHI [as it then was]. IIRC, my first net salary was £34.12s.6d. Thatwould make the NHI deduction £2.2s.6d [or9 half crowns!].

So, Mr Douglas, your central heating receipt would have taken almost 75% of my annual net salary!

3 minutes ago, marchie1053 said:

So, Mr Douglas, your central heating receipt would have taken almost 75% of my annual net salary!

I can believe it.   My circumstances were not much better.   At the bottom of the account below "For office use" it shows that I paid £42.12.3d with the other £250 being paid monthly over two years.  

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, marchie1053 said:

I started work with Barclays Bank on 14th September 1970, having been offered the job 'subject to passing at least 4 GCE O Levels, including English Language and Mathematics', some 3 months earlier. The conditional job offer showed a starting salary of £410 per annum, but when I actually started work, there had been a payrise, and my new salary was £441 per annum. I remember that I didn't earn enough to pay Income Tax, but I did have to pay NHI [as it then was]. IIRC, my first net salary was £34.12s.6d. Thatwould make the NHI deduction £2.2s.6d [or9 half crowns!].

I started full time work two months before you with a salary of £1000 per annum.

Edited by thebriars

Reminds me, in 1963 I worked for Cathodeon Electronics in Southend on Sea  doing the final testing of the first Colour TV's with 625 lines, remember them ?  I could tell some funny stories about that episode in my career

I was considering a new bike, the one I have does not have disc brakes or suspension, I want gears which one button up, and another down, the idea of feeling which gear I am in has gone.

My wife has a Halfords electric assisted bike, so want some thing to keep up with her, so I went to Halfords web site and slowly worked up the price until had push button gears, disc brakes, and suspension, and first to have it all, was an electric bike same as hers.

I may still buy an electric bike, but did expect a non electric to be far cheaper, which clearly is not the case. OK I bought a bike from Halfords with twist grip gears, disc brakes, and suspension 3 years ago for £175 however when the discs became warn it did not give a warning, they worked OK to slow down and stop, but found they would no longer give an emergency stop, they needed adjustment, then when it wore down further it just popped out, so really want hydraulic disc brakes. And if you try lifting over a A frame at end of cycle track, it's rather heavy.

If not getting hydraulic disc brakes, and suspension then may as well keep the bike I have, it has a good gear change and not too heavy. The brake blocks do work, not as good as discs, but unless going down Symons Yat not really a problem.

Has the price gone up? Well first bike my dad bought me, cost a weeks wages, three speed SA gears, and heavy. So far worse than the 18 speed mountain bike with suspension all wheels and disc brakes, at around 1/4 weeks wages. So no for basic bike price has dropped. Back in 1960 when I got first bike there was no disc brakes, suspension, and derailer gears were well named, the darn things would never change smoothly, one had to feel them in, spending far too much time with hand on cross bar changing leaver rather than on the handle bars.

The grip change was such an improvement two hands on handle bars, with two brake levers rather than one hand on gear change, however they were still a bit hit and miss, then the up and down buttons, however still have to work out front or rear gear to change, and now wife's bike 9 gears at rear, non at front, and also Off, Eco, Norm, Sports, and boost for motor. How can you compare that with a 1960's bike?

18 hours ago, marchie1053 said:

I started work with Barclays Bank on 14th September 1970, having been offered the job 'subject to passing at least 4 GCE O Levels . . .

Happy days! My salary when I started training was £4  15/- per week but went up to £7 per week almost immediately as it was calculated as a percentage of the full salary and incremental on my birthday! Five years initial training was followed by a further four years once I'd qualified before starting to progress up the ladder until I retired in 2010, after working forty years for the same employer!

16 hours ago, ericmark said:

How can you compare that with a 1960's bike?

There's no comparison with a 1960s bike. My first "real" bike was a Raleigh with a  Sturmey Archer three speed hub and side caliper cable brakes that never worked in the wet all mounted on a very heavy steel frame. My wife had (still has) a Holdsworth with a four speed Sturmey Archer, and she rode that from John O'Groats to Lands end along side her father back in the day. My Falcon had a (relatively) light weight frame, twenty one gears with two gear levers on the down tube, and centre-pull cable brakes.  Over the years I've also had several "normal" bikes and the off road cycle also had 21 gears operated via two twist grips, but also with five level electric-assist and a thumb throttle, and vicious brakes that could have me over the handle bars if I wasn't careful. It was all to easy to lift the rear wheel off the road when stopping quickly.

My first proper  job when I left school in April 1963 (aged 16) was with Essex County Fire Brigade as a General Division Clerk - salary was £208.

I got annual increments but I left in 1966 to a better paid job to get £7.50 a week with a telecoms manufacturer with whom I stayed until I volunteered for redundancy in April 2001.

I never had a new bike, in fact i got my dad's which I used to ride to school. It lasted me until I got my NSU Quickly moped, then a BSA Bantam and then a car. when I was 17 ( a 1937 Riley Adelphi).  Never really got enthused about cycling or motor cycling I wanted to be in the dry.:rolleyes:

I've actually still got a bike in the shed, again it was secondhand but hasn't turned a wheel since 2015

I was 13 before I could afford a bike saving my milk round wages to pay for the purchase as our family were too poor to be able to afford bikes when we were young, It was bought second hand out 'The Barras' in Glasgow for £4/10/- and new tyres and inner tubes took the remaining 10/- of my savings. It took me another 15 years before I managed to buy a brand new bike which was purchased from my local Halfords for around £160. By this time indexed gears were just appearing on the scene so I upgraded to the latest 2x7 speed Shimano 1051 SIS system and Mavic MA2 rims which were hand built. The bike is steel framed and heavy, but very smooth to ride although I struggle on the hills nowadays with it's 42T-21 lowest gear. 

P1010355.JPG

On 27/04/2019 at 13:44, Stevan said:

Strange thing inflation!

If only petrol & diesel had kept to the same inflation rate......................................:unsure:

I bought a new Raleigh Stowaway in 1973 for £30.  It sits in my factory unit gathering dust.  Two new tyres & probably inner tubes and it would be good to go.

15 minutes ago, Woodie106 said:

If only petrol & diesel had kept to the same inflation rate......................................:unsure:

At the time (probably 1973) I resolved to try and keep to 1p per mile, 33mpg and 33p per gallon! Gave up when it hit 55p per gallon.   1965 Vauxhall Viva SL90, biggest improvement was to throw away the original air filter and fit a free flowing one. Also fitted electronic ignition. Gave up on the car at 168,000 miles in about 1983.

Gave one of my bikes a good service this week, saves me a small fortune doing it myself 

7053C0E4-21B1-4432-AE6A-1CBC357035BD.jpeg

There’s a crank/chainset and pedals there, to buy replacements would be around £300

1 hour ago, Stevan said:

...1965 Vauxhall Viva SL90, biggest improvement was to throw away the original air filter and fit a free flowing one. Also fitted electronic ignition. Gave up on the car at 168,000 miles in about 1983.

My second car and the one I passed my test in was an HA Viva which cost me the princely sum of £25

img055.jpg

5 minutes ago, JayTea said:

My second car and the one I passed my test in was an HA Viva which cost me the princely sum of £25

img055.jpg

My Granddad had one of those in the 70’s, very nice although I wouldn’t want to be in a crash in one.

Around 1964 I went to a show at Alexandra palace, I was 10 years old and remember being fascinated by a demonstration colour television with about a 14" screen. It was CCTV with the camera focused on the exhibition hall.

I can remember it was 405 line colour and had a shade mounted over the screen to block out the ambient light.

It was expected the BBC would start transmission of VHF colour by the following year!

No price was given for the TV.

14 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

My Granddad had one of those in the 70’s, very nice although I wouldn’t want to be in a crash in one.

Mine was rolled into the middle of a field and landed on its roof when a woman cut across me on a narrow road, I put it back on the wheels drove it home. I spoke to my insurance company who told me to speak to the farmer who's field I had landed in as he would also have to claim for damage, so I drove it back to the accident scene and home again. It was then stripped and scrapped and I bought an HB Viva

HB2.jpg

Sign in to follow this