Sign in to follow this  
Doosan

If you have a TomTom Read This.

Garmin were into sat nav long before it was found in cars, Garmin is a Sat Nav company. Although I've owned TomTom's I've never believed they were a particularly customer focused company, personally I think they've had their day. They know that in-car standalone devices have a limited future so they're trying to hold a place as an OEM provider by building links with manufacturers but I'll never take them seriously compared with Garmin. 

With the likes of real live services such a Google maps with traffic and navigation, I think that is where the long term future lies. 

• Like 1

I have a Tom Tom caravanning and camping Sat Nav, it’s very good and does exactly what it says on the tin but Garmin no doubt saved my life on more than one occasion. During the 2003 Iraq War I had a Garmin 12 handheld satnav (bought it myself, we weren’t issued them) no roads or POI’s, just grid references but if you’re a REME Armoured vehicle commander, sat in a desert somewhere in Iraq and you get a coded radio message that a tank has broken down 10 miles away and needs assistance but there’s a sandstorm, no roads, it’s midnight, you can’t see more than 10 metres, enemy positions all over the place, etc etc, I used to kiss that Garmin every time I used it. It is without doubt the best thing I have ever bought in my entire life.

• Like 1

I all went wrong with TomTom when they got into dispute with Microsoft and stopped using the FAT32 file system so you could no longer drag and drop files. As discovered by Caravan Chronicles  they are terrible to get any sense out of!    have found trying to update my current Start 60 quite difficult and although I am a big fan of TomTom I am not sure I would buy another. I have TomTom built in units in both my car and motorhome and tomorrow the motorhome one will be put to a major test so I will reserve judgement for the moment.  If I were to replace the Start 60 I am not sure I would go for a Garmin as I have experienced problems with them in the past. The Aguri looks interesting but I wonder who does the mapping?

David

The Aguri seems to have links to Snooper.

I had an email from TomTom today telling me that my TT Rider 2013 was impacted by the WNRO issue, and that "they are working on an update to fix the issue"...  Surely they knew about this and if they were a decent company they would have delivered the update before 6th April...

On another TT issue, my new Rider 550 wouldn't reconnect to MyDrive on the phone after restarting... I logged the issue and got a "response" which was "connect your device to your phone through MyDrive" explanation that didn't answer the question... AAAARRGGGHHH!!!!

Just an update. Over the last few days I have used the inbuilt TomTom in my motorhome. Whilst not particularly challenging destinations using just post codes it did preform quite well. I still have the facility to review the destination which is where the problems usually occur. I am not sure I have any POI's loaded but need to investigate.

David

i have a garmin nuvi and ive had it 10 yrs, best satnav i ever had, its battery is worn out now but i run it off ciggy but never failed me

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

See if you can get a new battery - the battery in our five year old unit died and I got a replacement from t'interweb - just put your model number into Google. There are plenty of instruction videos on YouTube

Took about 15 minutes to replace it. Good as new.

Edited by matelodave

On 27/04/2019 at 20:54, klyne said:

I all went wrong with TomTom when they got into dispute with Microsoft and stopped using the FAT32 file system so you could no longer drag and drop files.

I found it very easy to load POIs like Archies etc using TomTom MyDrive Connect.  Not sure about now?  When did the dispute occur as the last time I uploaded Archies was probably in August last year.

6 hours ago, Durbanite said:

I found it very easy to load POIs like Archies etc using TomTom MyDrive Connect.  Not sure about now?  When did the dispute occur as the last time I uploaded Archies was probably in August last year.

It was years ago . You used to be able to go into Windows Explorer and just drag files into the map folder. A really simple system. You could also drag a small .bmp file so the POI's were easy to identify. Apparently TomTom stopped allowing you to add separate .bmp files some time ago so I assume any new POI files need to be dropped into TomTom designated folders?

12 hours ago, klyne said:

It was years ago . You used to be able to go into Windows Explorer and just drag files into the map folder. A really simple system. You could also drag a small .bmp file so the POI's were easy to identify. Apparently TomTom stopped allowing you to add separate .bmp files some time ago so I assume any new POI files need to be dropped into TomTom designated folders?

You log into My drive web page and then click on the black bar on the left and download the POIs.  I have downloaded Archies and many other POIs onto the new TomTom Go Camper.

Posted (edited)

Tomtom Mydrive website is My Drive

Edit: No, that didn't work either.

There seems to be a problem in Caravantalk when trying to visit the Tomtom Mydrive website, or maybe it's my PC.

Just copy the address below and paste into your browser address bar. Don't click on it.

www.mydrive.tomtom.com

Edited by onewheelonmywagon

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, onewheelonmywagon said:

There seems to be a problem in Caravantalk when trying to visit the Tomtom Mydrive website, or maybe it's my PC.

Just copy the address below and paste into your browser address bar. Don't click on it.

www.mydrive.tomtom.com

I find a problem with every link in CT, even if I copy and paste.  The links are not what they seem - they actually go via an outfit called Viglink which collects and sells info about your surfing (their website says : "Create a better web by making every link intelligent and valuable"). In my case Viglink was already blocked by an advert blocking facility, that's how I noticed.  I type links in manually.

Edited by Bolingbroke

2 hours ago, Bolingbroke said:

I find a problem with every link in CT, even if I copy and paste.  The links are not what they seem - they actually go via an outfit called Viglink which collects and sells info about your surfing (their website says : "Create a better web by making every link intelligent and valuable"). In my case Viglink was already blocked by an advert blocking facility, that's how I noticed.  I type links in manually.

I do not have a problem with CT links. :rolleyes:

I am with DT as I have no problem and have seen no sign of Vigilink.

29 minutes ago, WispMan said:

I am with DT as I have no problem and have seen no sign of Vigilink.

That's probably because you are not set up to block adverts, tracking and suchlike.  You are not meant to see any sign of Viglink, that's the way it works.  However if you copy eg onewheelonmywagon's link above to Mydrive and paste it into a text editor, you will see what the link really is.  It takes up seven lines of mostly obscure code in my normal text editor window - there is a lot going on in that link. 

TomTom could be in breach of Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008;

(a) if it contains false information and is therefore untruthful in relation to any of the matters in paragraph (4) or if it or its overall presentation in any way deceives or is likely to deceive the average consumer in relation to any of the matters in that paragraph, even if the information is factually correct; and

(b) it causes or is likely to cause the average consumer to take a transactional decision he would not have taken otherwise.

And in addition as it was the software update from TomTom that caused the unit plus many others according to forums to freeze up the Consumer Rights Act 2015 would apply;

Section 46 of the Act - http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/section/46

This section applies if—

(a) a trader supplies digital content to a consumer under a contract,

(b) the digital content causes damage to a device or to other digital content,

(c) the device or digital content that is damaged belongs to the consumer, and

(d) the damage is of a kind that would not have occurred if the trader had exercised reasonable care and skill.

(2) If the consumer requires the trader to provide a remedy under this section, the trader must either—

(a) repair the damage in accordance with subsection (3), or

(b) compensate the consumer for the damage with an appropriate payment.

This is currently being investigated with a view to it being progressed to court and TomTom CEO Marina Wyatt has been sent an email. I am not accepting that a "lifetime" is determined by a company and that a "lifetime" could be as little as a year if the supplying company deems that they no longer want to offer support.
I will update the thread however the more people that hassle TomTom the better and just maybe we will get somewhere as it was the update that caused many units to fail as physically the units are still intact. BTW if you do a factory reset, it does not remove all updates etc and return the unit to its previous condition as when you bought it.

On 03/05/2019 at 14:50, Bolingbroke said:

That's probably because you are not set up to block adverts, tracking and suchlike.  You are not meant to see any sign of Viglink, that's the way it works.  However if you copy eg onewheelonmywagon's link above to Mydrive and paste it into a text editor, you will see what the link really is.  It takes up seven lines of mostly obscure code in my normal text editor window - there is a lot going on in that link. 

I have not realized that but you are correct. The links all go through viglink.

The OP’s link seemed to suggest that they were using a TomTom caravan edition but still needed to purchase map updates.  I did think they all came with ‘lifetime’ maps as mine has.

I agree with Durbanite re the definition of lifetime.

I really like the TomTom interface.  And I am due to update my maps very soon.  But first I will check to see if my serial number is still supported.  TomTom did send me an Email some months ago to tell me which numbers were no longer supported.  At that time mine was OK.  

As I now have built in Volvo maps I only use the TomTom when towing.  I only used the TomTom live services for the free year, so have not renewed it for about 4 years.  Disappointingly TomTom have just today sent the following Email.

Your TomTom LIVE Services subscription has been inactive for more than a year.

You can still renew your LIVE Services subscription with a massive 40% discount, but you have to ACT NOW! 

This offer is valid for 30 days! After that, your SIM will be deactivated permanently and with it, your access to TomTom LIVE Services.

I read that as a threat.  Why do they feel the need to do that.

In summary, TomTom are very good to use but the company and their policy’s stink.

John

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JCloughie said:

The OP’s link seemed to suggest that they were using a TomTom caravan edition but still needed to purchase map updates.  I did think they all came with ‘lifetime’ maps as mine has.

John

Hi John, I'm sorry if my OP missed led you, I have been a satisfied Garmin user for about  11 years now. The reason that I started this post was that there were some disgruntled TomTom uses on CT. I am also a subscriber to FlyingTogs site Caravan Chronicles whom himself was very contented with TomTom up until he needed to do some updating and this problem became evident. He wrote a blog about the experience that he was having. He has now purchased a Garmin 770 LMTD. This is his blog on his new Sat-Nav, here.

I just use my in car navigation when I want live sevices I turn my phone into a wi fi hotspot clic wi fi on the car sat nav and hey ho away you go. I can then google places and get speed cameras etc no subscriptions needed.

On 05/05/2019 at 17:06, Doosan said:

Hi John, I'm sorry if my OP missed led you, I have been a satisfied Garmin user for about  11 years now. The reason that I started this post was that there were some disgruntled TomTom uses on CT. I am also a subscriber to FlyingTogs site Caravan Chronicles whom himself was very contented with TomTom up until he needed to do some updating and this problem became evident. He wrote a blog about the experience that he was having. He has now purchased a Garmin 770 LMTD. This is his blog on his new Sat-Nav, here.

I have no idea which may be the best sat nav, but as I already have the Tomtom I will try to make use of it.  Mine is the caravan edition, same as the one in your 1st link.  except mine is a newer model and my serial number is still supported.  Who knows how long for.  I only use it with the van now as the on board sat nav suits when solo.  So I have just updated the maps.  All went smoothly.

1 hour ago, lunarsorentoman said:

I just use my in car navigation when I want live sevices I turn my phone into a wi fi hotspot clic wi fi on the car sat nav and hey ho away you go. I can then google places and get speed cameras etc no subscriptions needed.

That's ideal and great with a modern system and Google maps look good.  Tomtom have a cheek regards their Live services.  Especially trying to blackmail me into purchasing.  If I did purchase, sods law says they will then stop supporting the device.  For now, when towing, I use the Tomtom for the route, and the Volvo for the Live services.  Needs two eyes.

However, the advantage of the caravan based systems is you can enter the outfit length and width.  I don't think you can do that with Google, perhaps someone can educate us.

PM

(Martyn, my op improving everyday, will give yo a call soon to see haw you are enjoying yourselves)

John

• Like 1

I've been irritated by my new TT Rider 550 for the bike compared with both Garmin, and Ford Sync3 .  The TTR despite being the newest and greatest are very simplistic on the voice instructions.  So, Essex is the land of double mini-roundabouts and the TT will only say "Take the 2nd Exit at the roundabout", whereas the others will say "Take the 2nd exit at the roundabout, and then take the first exit"...

I believe you need to select a computerised voice to get full functionality, well you do on my GO5000