Sign in to follow this  
Dobloseven

ULEZ confusion

I understood the new Tfl ULEZ was for Euro 6 diesels. However we've a 2015 2.0 Ssangyong Korando which was registered on 1/12/15 and I'm sure is only Euro 5(revised 2.2 litre Euro 6 models were launched in the autumn of 2015, ours was sold as an end of line pre reg) and checking on the Tfl website it is exempt from the 12.50 charge. Doesn't concern me as such, but I suppose a similar system will appear in other big cities eventually so worth knowing. Any other anomalies? I know for example, some new Vauxhall Antaras were sold after September 2015 which would have only been Euro 5 compliant. 

That's what I did! 

I just tried putting my 68 plated vehicle into this site it came up as Euro 5  .

16 minutes ago, g7eor said:

I just tried putting my 68 plated vehicle into this site it came up as Euro 5  .

You might need to take this up with DVLA or whoever is responsible for getting it wrong.

Posted (edited)

what does your registration document say. The link above is from HPI check which isn't quite the same as the data that TFL or whatever would use to enforce the  ULEZ.

You might be better off using the correct website https://www.ulezchecker.com/

Both of our cars are compliant - My 18 reg S-max Tdci and my wifes 12 reg Meriva petrol

The ULEZ is enforced based on the declared emissions of the vehicle rather than the age. However:

Petrol cars that meet the ULEZ standards are generally those first registered with the DVLA after 2005, although cars that meet the standards have been available since 2001

Diesel cars that meet the standards are generally those first registered with the DVLA after September 2015

Edited by matelodave

52 minutes ago, matelodave said:

...  You might be better off using the correct website https://www.ulezchecker.com/  ....

Exactly, it is TfL's game played by TfL rules so the only thing that matters is what their online checker states. 

In the real world, I guess there are going to be errors, but it appears to be a case issue the fines and ask questions later. 

I'm sure this new regime is already costing folks a lot of money but when it expands to include the area bounded by the North & South Circular Roads it is going to have a much greater impact. 

Be interested to see how a diesel thats definitely Euro 6 but registered before September 2015 measures up on the ULEZ vehicle checker. 

4 minutes ago, Dobloseven said:

Be interested to see how a diesel thats definitely Euro 6 but registered before September 2015 measures up on the ULEZ vehicle checker. 

It is Euro 6 - it complies. Our Passat is March 2015 Euro 6 compliant and ULEZ compliant.

6 hours ago, Dobloseven said:

I understood the new Tfl ULEZ was for Euro 6 diesels. However we've a 2015 2.0 Ssangyong Korando which was registered on 1/12/15 and I'm sure is only Euro 5(revised 2.2 litre Euro 6 models were launched in the autumn of 2015, ours was sold as an end of line pre reg) and checking on the Tfl website it is exempt from the 12.50 charge. Doesn't concern me as such, but I suppose a similar system will appear in other big cities eventually so worth knowing. Any other anomalies? I know for example, some new Vauxhall Antaras were sold after September 2015 which would have only been Euro 5 compliant. 

All manufactures should have sold Euro 5 stock by 1st September 2015 but I think there were some dispensations/ anomalies.

Just tried my car out of curiosity on what Matelotdave above said was the correct website, and I got a big red notice that I was not compliant. It did not say what my charge would be if I did want to go there, nor any link to anything that looked like it.

Lower on the page however was a link saying "Sell your car in under one hour". Hardly the way to go about winning hearts and minds.

23 minutes ago, Bolingbroke said:

Just tried my car out of curiosity on what Matelotdave above said was the correct website, and I got a big red notice that I was not compliant. It did not say what my charge would be if I did want to go there, nor any link to anything that looked like it.

Lower on the page however was a link saying "Sell your car in under one hour". Hardly the way to go about winning hearts and minds.

That wasn't an official site!

This is - https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/check-your-vehicle-35896?intcmp=35896

23 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

That's the third site that  has been linked in this thread, but it looks the right one at last; thanks.  FWIW, my charge would be £12.50.

Posted (edited)

Mines OK on Matelotdaves unofficial site as well. I'm guessing it was given some kind of exemption. Like I say, no great concern at the moment but we live in a city so could possibly affect us in the future. 

Edited by Dobloseven
Missed text

Only use the tfl site as that's the info they will be using. Some cars fall within the compliance even if they are older, it depends on what car with what engine.

It's not just diesels, there's a bunch of petrol cars that are non compliant, supposedly pre 2006/7, but my 52 plate golf is ok, where as my 2008 shogun isn't & I'd have to pay an extra £12.50 a day. 

My 2013 Kia Sorento will have to pay according to the official website, but as it is classified as "Disabled" I have read on another website it should be exempt, so I have sent an email asking for clarification as I would have thought their system would pick up its Tax classification as well as the emissions :unsure:

17 minutes ago, kiaboy said:

My 2013 Kia Sorento will have to pay according to the official website, but as it is classified as "Disabled" I have read on another website it should be exempt, so I have sent an email asking for clarification as I would have thought their system would pick up its Tax classification as well as the emissions :unsure:

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone/discounts-and-exemptions?intcmp=52218#on-this-page-1

Vehicles with a Disabled taxation class are exempt until 26/10/2025. After that date, unless they meet ULEZ standards, they must pay. Blue Badge holders are only exempt if the vehicle is registered with a Disabled tax classification or meets the ULEZ standards.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Dobloseven said:

My car is registered July 2015 and it goes through alright

I've no intention of driving into the London ULEZ either now or when it's extended to the North/South Circular roads but some don't have a choice.

3 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

I've no intention of driving into the London ULEZ either now or when it's extended to the North/South Circular roads but some don't have a choice.

I would suggest it will be 'many', to the point where it may well have a regional effect on car prices as the deadline draws close and people have to decide to either pay the charge or changing their vehicle. 

Does anyone know if the congestion zone as well as the ulez is being extended to the south and north circular as well?

Thank's.

Nope LEZ/ULEZ are separate excuses for TfL to take your money...

TfL show my 68 plate as being  exempt . Checked the V5 and it does not give any details Euro 5 or 6

I was surprised my 2003 4.6 litre V8 has no charge, never really liked chemistry at school so I don’t understand how a massive old petrol engine is ok and a relatively new diesel might not be!

16 hours ago, sleepyfolk said:

I was surprised my 2003 4.6 litre V8 has no charge, never really liked chemistry at school so I don’t understand how a massive old petrol engine is ok and a relatively new diesel might not be!

My d-i-l and granddaughters' 2003 Mini 1600 are ULEZ exempt

Just checked a 15 reg Korando, so pre September2015 and that would have to pay 12.50 per day so looks like ours has slipped through the net.