well we went to Congleton ( a round trip of 111 miles ) & bought the latest Safefill ( 7.5 Kg ) cylinder. On returning home i got it filled with the specified 10ltrs of L.P.G. Got home & looked at the little cut outs, despite trying all sorts of lighting ( sun, "normal" daylight , torch, extra strong torch,  shinning torch across from one opening to the other ) i was unable to see the level of the contents. The vendor states in an Email that it has to be certain light conditions.....

So those who have bought the latest Safefill cylinders ( the ones with the white cylinder ) have been able to acertain the contents from viewing the small side windows & if so under what light conditions ?

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

13 hours ago, david 1220 said:

well we went to Congleton ( a round trip of 111 miles ) & bought the latest Safefill ( 7.5 Kg ) cylinder. On returning home i got it filled with the specified 10ltrs of L.P.G. Got home & looked at the little cut outs, despite trying all sorts of lighting ( sun, "normal" daylight , torch, extra strong torch,  shinning torch across from one opening to the other ) i was unable to see the level of the contents. The vendor states in an Email that it has to be certain light conditions.....

So those who have bought the latest Safefill cylinders ( the ones with the white cylinder ) have been able to acertain the contents from viewing the small side windows & if so under what light conditions ?

I have the older type and the only time I CANNOT see the level is when it is full because the level is, at that stage, above the highest cut-out.  It's hard from the photos of the new one to tell if that is the same issue.  As I posted in the other current thread on this, you need to waggle the bottle in order to spot the movement of the fluid.  I can rarely see the level if not in motion.

Alternatively buy a cheap hand luggage scale.

Sam :beardy:   RR Sport HSE Dynamic towing Swift Elegance Grande 845

Well i have been trying today to find a way of being able to view contents. Came up with the following--

Shine a small torch/ mobile phone torch into the side window opposite to you , view the window near you with the light shining across-- the level of the contents should be visible. The daylight has to be low level/dark but it works !

Did try ultra violet light with no results. To recap-- with the cylinder in front of you & with a set of the side windows facing you shine a torch towards you from the windows in the opposite side ( under low light conditions ) & the liquid level should be visible, no manhandling needed.

With my very similar Gaslights, I need to use Sam's stated "waggling" technique to get the level moving, makes detecting it so much easier. I just ease the two restraining webbing straps and yank the bottle to start its contents moving about a bit. Then of course heave up the straps tight again afterwards. A 20 or 30 seconds job involving not artificial lighting.

14 hours ago, JTQ said:

With my very similar Gaslights, I need to use Sam's stated "waggling" technique to get the level moving, makes detecting it so much easier. I just ease the two restraining webbing straps and yank the bottle to start its contents moving about a bit. Then of course heave up the straps tight again afterwards. A 20 or 30 seconds job involving not artificial lighting.

Sorry to say wont work on the new safefill cylinders -- the sides are white & even with the light trick its hard to see the level in ( dull ) daylight........

Should be better when in the locker !

3 hours ago, david 1220 said:

Sorry to say wont work on the new safefill cylinders -- the sides are white & even with the light trick its hard to see the level in ( dull ) daylight........

Should be better when in the locker !

Sadly then a retrograde cylinder in that respect.

I find to easily know the level, a big plus point, certainly over the  gauge used on Calor lights.

Colin 70,

Thanks for proving the point ! You seem to have a lot of holes compared to my 5 cut outs...... One thing i did notice though -- compared to the MK1 safefill cylinder these new ones are very light ! Perhaps the MK1 was "over engineered...... " 

Edited by david 1220

When I first filled mine at the local Autogas dealer the chap using the pump was most impressed to see the liquid gas level moving up the cylinder as he filled it . He had only filled cars before.

4 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

I must admit that the shape of the cut outs on our cylinder is nothing like the Collins attachment.  They are definitely not round.

Mk I

Sam :beardy:   RR Sport HSE Dynamic towing Swift Elegance Grande 845

57 minutes ago, SamD said:

Mk I

Our cylinder is about a year old and is the red one and very difficult to see through the translucent sides.

Hi,

Had an Email from Safefill regarding seeing the liquid level. They recommend the method we have discussed ! they are also not happy with the problem of viewing the contents. Seems its something to do with the makers.

20 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Our cylinder is about a year old and is the red one and very difficult to see through the translucent sides.

Mk 3

Thanks Colin, a very dark environment with a powerful LED torch does work although it’s a bit of a pain having to go through this procedure just to find out how much gas is left

0DCDCFA6-168C-4CBF-B780-47582E6823F7.jpeg

Hobby 575 VIP

Is it not slightly less painful than the alternative of disconnecting the gas pipe, getting the cylinder out of the locker and then weighing it.:unsure:

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

On 30/04/2019 at 18:43, matelodave said:

Is it not slightly less painful than the alternative of disconnecting the gas pipe, getting the cylinder out of the locker and then weighing it.:unsure:

While its raining & blowing a gale.......  :-)

Hi,

Thanks everybody for your input !

• 1 year later...

I bought a 10kg safefill bottle which was the later style of red with fewer cutouts but 2nd hand and 3/4 full of gas. On testing i found I could see the level after dusk in the front locker by shining bright torch on the opposite side without shaking the bottle.

As I see it the beauty with these bottles is if you do this check occasionally and say it’s down to 1/4 full you can take it out with you when going out for a run in the car and fill it while out as your only paying to refill the bottle and not having to wait until it’s empty.

As I hadn’t had one of these bottles before and wanted to test how easy or difficult it was to fill I went to Morrison’s fuel station on return from our holiday and it was so easy and took only a couple of minutes from getting it out of the back of the car to putting it back in.

Luckily I got the filling extension with the bottle as this is needed as the pump filler has a plastic collar which stops it reaching the bottle inlet but one of these can be easily purchased and cures the problem.

I'm now going to buy the different European adapter connector set so I will be able to keep filled anywhere in Europe (hopefully).