Sign in to follow this  
dtg

Caravan recovery

Hi to all, not been here for a long while and I am sure this topic has been discussed before but here goes, my wife is concerned that if I became I'll or unable to drive whilst away on a site somewhere how would we get the caravan back home? Although she can drive she is not willing or really able to tow the caravan back home any thoughts would be welcome

Dave

Your insurance company should arrange this, and pay for it.

If she is a named driver on the insurance policy the insurance company would expect her to drive !!   Best thing is discuss it with the insurers before you go,

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, cockneychris said:

Your insurance company should arrange this, and pay for it.

I'm intrigued  - which insurance would that be Car, Caravan, Personal Travel or Breakdown?

Edited by Deno

You need to have purchased "vehicle recovery" insurance that specifically covers this scenario.

"Mayday", "RAC Arrive" are two names that spring to mind, but there will be others (Green Flag?). 

4 minutes ago, daveat92 said:

You need to have purchased "vehicle recovery" insurance that specifically covers this scenario.

"Mayday", "RAC Arrive" are two names that spring to mind, but there will be others (Green Flag?). 

As above, we have this cover, it is included in some recovery packages (ours is with May Day) but not all, so check the small print.

As said I used to have his with Mayday but check if I remember it was a plus package .

You will require a medical certificate to say the driver is unable to drive .

Dave

43 minutes ago, daveat92 said:

Thanks to all, yes the wife is included on the insurance but there is no way she would feel comfortable towing , I am with Green flag at the moment and it is coming  up for renewal so I will discuss it with them, if push comes to shove I have a son with LGV license but depending on how far away we are would be a factor, thanks all again

Dave

14 hours ago, dtg said:

Thanks to all, yes the wife is included on the insurance but there is no way she would feel comfortable towing , I am with Green flag at the moment and it is coming  up for renewal so I will discuss it with them, if push comes to shove I have a son with LGV license but depending on how far away we are would be a factor, thanks all again

Dave

Is this not a hurdle you could overcome with a bit of gentle mentoring? ie she can drive but has the willies about towing, maybe a few goes on a quiet stretch of road here or there?, a few Youtube vids to give her some salient knowledge etc

I mean hopefully illness will avoid you but should it strike then a "Spirit of Dunkirk" approach seems the cheapest, easiest option.

Posted (edited)

When we first started caravanning my wife had the same worries. I encouraged her to drive for a short distance when the road conditions were quiet and she took to it like the proverbial duck to water. Now I have to stop her putting "stuff" behind the drivers seat so I can't move it further back to fit myself in. :)

Edited by Flat_at
Sausage fingers

15 hours ago, dtg said:

Hi to all, not been here for a long while and I am sure this topic has been discussed before but here goes, my wife is concerned that if I became I'll or unable to drive whilst away on a site somewhere how would we get the caravan back home? Although she can drive she is not willing or really able to tow the caravan back home any thoughts would be welcome

Dave

Either leave Caravan where it is or have it  towed into nearest storage,  go home , then fetch caravan back when you are better. 

We have it covered with our Mayday breakdown cover,

9 minutes ago, Paul_B said:

We have it covered with our Mayday breakdown cover,

Same here, my wife won't drive my car, let alone drive it with a caravan on the back so I ensure we're covered by other means.

The Britannia cover with Nationwide's Flexplus has this and I have confirmed with them that should I be unable to drive they would supply a driver. Although my wife is legally qualified under "grandfather" (grandmother?) rights, she has never towed nor does she have any desire to do so. She has driven my car once and doesn't want to do so again. She never (through choice) drives for more than 20 miles or so.

It's all very well telling other people what they should do but in a very stressful situation the last thing you need is a nervous and inexperienced person setting off to drive from the south of France with over 3 tons of outfit.

• Thanks 1

Many years ago my Husband became permanently unable to drive so if we wanted to continue caravanning I had no choice but to tow. I don’t even like driving much but I’ve been towing for over 20 years now and really I don’t even think about it now (if you know what I mean).  But if I became unable to drive for any reason we would be stuck. Personally I think if I were in that position I would Talk to the site owners and come to some arrangement to leave the van until I can get someone to collect it for me or has been said you could probably find someone to tow it to a local storage if it’s going to be a longer term thing. 

34 minutes ago, BaileyBub said:

Many years ago my Husband became permanently unable to drive so if we wanted to continue caravanning I had no choice but to tow. I don’t even like driving much but I’ve been towing for over 20 years now and really I don’t even think about it now (if you know what I mean).  But if I became unable to drive for any reason we would be stuck. Personally I think if I were in that position I would Talk to the site owners and come to some arrangement to leave the van until I can get someone to collect it for me or has been said you could probably find someone to tow it to a local storage if it’s going to be a longer term thing. 

Whilst I admire your courage in taking the responsibility of being the sole driver since your husband has been unable to drive I would suggest the you may be either over optimistic or perhaps naive.

Site owners, whilst being sympathetic to your situation, are often unable to store a caravan on the site due planning restrictions.

Towing a caravan to medium term storage, if it can be found also requires for peace of mind, requires the tower to be properly insured for the task. There have been several topics on the forum discussing how to get a caravan towed to a site by non professional towers.

You certainly would be stuck if you were if the reason for you being unable to drive was you were hospitalised some distance from your home.

I have Green Flag plus recovery insurance as my companion, who can tow and is insured as a second driver, lives 230 miles from my home. On our caravan tours we have been and intend to make a further tour to the north of Scotland 620 miles from the storage site, 490 miles from home and 700 miles from my companion's home.

We were recently discussing various breakdown scenarios to ensure that we adequately covered. The Green Flag cover is based on the towing vehicle for which my companion is insured.  We concluded that we were adequately covered for most situations.

A week later my companion's husband died and brought to light one possible eventuality that we had not considered. The couple were caravanners and store their 'van at their home only a couple of miles from my companions home in south west London. Whilst her husband was dying he had overlooked renewing his car tax and consequently his wife was unable to use the car on his demise.

In the event of me dying whilst touring many miles from home my companion would be in a similar situation to her cousin except for the fact that the car and caravan would be in the hands of the executors of my estate. :o

Dee Tee

Have you missed something out of this story?

8 minutes ago, rovinmad said:

Dee Tee

Have you missed something out of this story?

Well spotted. :o :Thankyou:

I omitted one word. Please insert "cousin's"between companion's and husband in the following sentence

"A week later my companion's  husband died and brought to light one possible eventuality that we had not considered".

Posted (edited)
On 27/04/2019 at 11:35, DeeTee said:

Whilst I admire your courage in taking the responsibility of being the sole driver since your husband has been unable to drive I would suggest the you may be either over optimistic or perhaps naive.

Site owners, whilst being sympathetic to your situation, are often unable to store a caravan on the site due planning restrictions.

Towing a caravan to medium term storage, if it can be found also requires for peace of mind, requires the tower to be properly insured for the task. There have been several topics on the forum discussing how to get a caravan towed to a site by non professional towers.

You certainly would be stuck if you were if the reason for you being unable to drive was you were hospitalised some distance from your home.

I have Green Flag plus recovery insurance as my companion, who can tow and is insured as a second driver, lives 230 miles from my home. On our caravan tours we have been and intend to make a further tour to the north of Scotland 620 miles from the storage site, 490 miles from home and 700 miles from my companion's home.

We were recently discussing various breakdown scenarios to ensure that we adequately covered. The Green Flag cover is based on the towing vehicle for which my companion is insured.  We concluded that we were adequately covered for most situations.

A week later my companion's husband died and brought to light one possible eventuality that we had not considered. The couple were caravanners and store their 'van at their home only a couple of miles from my companions home in south west London. Whilst her husband was dying he had overlooked renewing his car tax and consequently his wife was unable to use the car on his demise.

In the event of me dying whilst touring many miles from home my companion would be in a similar situation to her cousin except for the fact that the car and caravan would be in the hands of the executors of my estate. :o

Green flag plus recovery does not cover the actual caravan but only while connected to the tow vehicle and maximum length of 7m which would not suit most people that would want their caravan covered .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

3 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

Green flag plus recovery does not cover the actual caravan but only while connected to the tow vehicle and maximum length of 7m which would not suit most people that would want their caravan covered .

Dave

My understanding of Green Flag plus cover, which I have, covers the scenario being discussed.

In summary, the outfit would be recovered to certain destinations when on a pre- booked caravan tour and the drivers become incapacitated and unable to drive. My caravan is 6.01 metres long.

There are a few companies in the UK that will tow your van to or from any site to where ever you need them to leave it. For a fee of course, but it will get you out of a situation. 

The caravan would not be covered for recovery if you went out for the day in the car and it broke down as the caravan in not attached 

Dave

Not a chance of my Mrs towing a caravan, she struggles with just the car, fortunately if I'm unable to drive my ADAC cover will ensure the caravan gets taken back home.

42 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

The caravan would not be covered for recovery if you went out for the day in the car and it broke down as the caravan in not attached 

Dave

This level of service is offered by some Mayday policies.

6 hours ago, GaryB1969 said:

This level of service is offered by some Mayday policies.

I had chauffeur cover under Mayday when I had my twin axle . 

Breakdown and recovery policies vary so much and have limits on some as said 7m maximum length would not suit most twin axles .

Dave

Sign in to follow this