Does the route through the Gotthard tunnel involve towing the caravan up steep mountains?

Hi. Does anyone know if the route through the Gotthard tunnel involve towing the caravan up steep mountains? 

We are travelling from Black Forrest Germany to Basel then to Milan Italy and from there to Sicily. I have never done that route before and I am worried that I might get in trouble with towing the caravan if this route involves steep hills.  Any advice is very welcome.

Elaina

No, no steep hills, mostly dual carriageway all the way, except for the tunnel itself. Just be aware that the tunnel is very long, and VERY boring. It is two-way traffic, but does have lay-byes  at regular intervals where you can pull in for a break from the monotony. Some very spectacular scenery both sides make the journey worthwhile though.

Edited by 1164 County
Spelling mistakes

The Gotthard is about (IIRC) 17km long.  I went through on a motorbike in 2007.  The most amazing thing was that the temperature when we went in southbound was 11 C, at the peak (12km in I think) the temp was 38C.  It's spooky as a two way bore.

The weather was mild drizzle (nylon oversuit required) on the way up, and torrential rain on exit for the run down to Como.  Inside I had had a very good sauna....

Larry from Essex

2019 Bailey Unicorn Cabrera 2017 Kuga 2. 0 TDCi 150

1 hour ago, Elaina said:

Hi. Does anyone know if the route through the Gotthard tunnel involve towing the caravan up steep mountains

We have been through the Gotthard three times, the last time being 1999.   My memory of it was that it wasn't very well lit.   Lights were fitted at regular intervals but without any great spread.    Consequently driving became as though you were watching a flashing light.   Hopefully the lighting may be improved by now.   The two traffic lanes were without any form of barrier between them, so one needed to stay alert for wide HGVs passing in the opposite direction.   As others have said, the tunnel goes on for more than 10 miles with a speed limit so it becomes tedious.     The road on either side of the tunnel has a gradient but nothing to cause concern.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Should be no problem towing your route.

Last time I went through the tunnel was in my TVR with the roof down.

Came out  t'other side with eyes running, sore throat and ears whistling.

No escape from the noise and fumes, big mistake.

Stay safe - Griff.:ph34r:

Discovery 4 with a Bessacarr 845 behind

Towing my caravan I use the tunnel at least once a year and can confirm all that has been said.

Edited by Lutz

Just make sure to turn your cars air supply from fresh to  recirculate BEFORE you enter the tunnel in order to reduce the amount of exhaust fumes getting into the car. 

Andy

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

On 25/04/2019 at 19:46, 1164 County said:

No, no steep hills, mostly dual carriageway all the way, except for the tunnel itself. Just be aware that the tunnel is very long, and VERY boring. It is two-way traffic, but does have lay-byes  at regular intervals where you can pull in for a break from the monotony. Some very spectacular scenery both sides make the journey worthwhile though.

So far as I am aware there are regular emergency areas with doors leading to escape routes but these are not for stopping in other than in an emergency.