cockneychris

Audi A6 Allroad

16 hours ago, Ern said:

On balance, which would be the most robust and therefore best as a tow car?

A 3.0V6 TDi with a DL501 S-Tronic and Torsen Quattro is theoretically substantially more robust than a 2.0TDi with DQ250 DSG and Haldex.  And heavier for towing.

2 minutes ago, Allan Guest said:

I did arrange a test drive of a Jag XF a few years back but my wife refused to even get in it!

Why?

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, cockneychris said:

Underpowered May have been the wrong term. The throttle Responce was odd in that the peddle had to be half way down before a good Responce was had.

Most of that will be down to throttle mapping but  you could also be feeling the differences in gearbox design.

The BMW will have a conventional torque converter auto and the Audi a dual clutch transmission.

Arguably the Conventional Torque converter is better suited to towing even with the longitudinal 7 speed dual clutch box in the Audi being the best of it's kind. But the BMW if F** series on will have the ZF8HP which in my opinion is the best Auto on sale.

Lee

Edited by logiclee
  • Like 1

So after a lot of looking, poking and prodding I settled on getting a 530D Touring, the F11 model, but most were around the 106k to 166k mileage but I have managed to secure  a 57000 mile m-sport and boy its a cracker. Its a stark difference between this and the 520D's response even though that is still a good car. The downside is that it is rear wheel drive as opposed to my first thoughts on the All Road. I dont go off grid or indeed much into a field at all in soggy weather so im hoping for the best on that score. Most of my miles are without the caravan on the back so better suited. An upside is that it is cheaper to tax than the Galaxy and mpg is suggested to be close to the Ford, I will find out as we progress through the year.  The wife will sit on a cushion if needed but I think she will be fine. All in all i Love my new car. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, cockneychris said:

So after a lot of looking, poking and prodding I settled on getting a 530D Touring, the F11 model, but most were around the 106k to 166k mileage but I have managed to secure  a 57000 mile m-sport and boy its a cracker. Its a stark difference between this and the 520D's response even though that is still a good car. The downside is that it is rear wheel drive as opposed to my first thoughts on the All Road. I dont go off grid or indeed much into a field at all in soggy weather so im hoping for the best on that score. Most of my miles are without the caravan on the back so better suited. An upside is that it is cheaper to tax than the Galaxy and mpg is suggested to be close to the Ford, I will find out as we progress through the year.  The wife will sit on a cushion if needed but I think she will be fine. All in all i Love my new car. 

If the lack of 4wd becomes an issue, consider fitting some good all-season tyres.

1 hour ago, cockneychris said:

So after a lot of looking, poking and prodding I settled on getting a 530D Touring

Sounds like a good result and I'm a bit jealous!

We do use grass CL's but haven't found the RWD to be a major hurdle - certainly much better than FWD and the Auto box makes setting off without wheel spin a doddle.

Biggest criticism of the car comes from Lady Vimes, who hates parking it (long nose, low position and pretty wide to boot).

If my last BMW was anything to go by you just had to be sensible and sometimes start off in second gear.  Apart from snow I don't see any problems. Mrs Cockney has yet to drive it but she has settled on a cushion already in anticipation. 

8 minutes ago, cockneychris said:

Apart from snow I don't see any problems. 

Have you tried snow socks? they work remarkably well for such a simple idea. I've used them on a couple of cars & never got stuck. 

42 minutes ago, Woodie106 said:

I've used them on a couple of cars & never got stuck. 

Well you wouldn't around Stamford Bridge, would you?

geoff

58 minutes ago, Woodie106 said:

Have you tried snow socks? they work remarkably well for such a simple idea. I've used them on a couple of cars & never got stuck. 

No I havent used them but I will get some winter wheels and tyres if a bargain comes along.

1 minute ago, cockneychris said:

No I havent used them but I will get some winter wheels and tyres if a bargain comes along.

Muddy campsites in summer can be the biggest test!

1 hour ago, shipbroker said:

Well you wouldn't around Stamford Bridge, would you?

geoff

Depends on which one you mean............

1 hour ago, Woodie106 said:

Depends on which one you mean............

The one where the wore woad as as a skin colour, or viking armour, wouldn't count...was through there this week...no, where the millionaires on the pitch wear blue usually.

geoff

On 30/04/2019 at 16:22, logiclee said:

Why?

Because it wasn’t an Audi!

Tow bar being fitted today on the 530d and I'm a little excited to get the van out on a weekend away as I so need it.  Weve had an expensive couple of months now with the car, the tow bar, a new kitchen, oh! and the fridge freezer decided that it liked to be warm rather than cold so that got replaced too.

• Like 1

I don't think you'll be disappointed,  my 520D has been an excellent tow car, the 530D will be that and more!

I don't think there will be any problems as far as power goes that's for sure. It will just be nice to get the van on the back to ease my mind on its towing characteristics. I managed to put a small v shaped ding in the bumper the other day. The Galaxy reversing aid gave you the last warning way in front of whatever you were potentially going to career into, but with the BMW it says what it means.  I had looked over my shoulder and could see that the car behind was way off so I kept going and hit a wooden post. B & Q are not happy to just put in a post they have to have it at 45 degrees so it digs in deep to your bumper. I must admit I felt sick doing this to a newly acquired car and am still beating myself up about it. Later that day someone slammed their door into the side of it in Homebase.  What does annoy me with the car is that I now have to have a steering lock on it as it has the button start and there has been a lot of thefts of keyless entry cars around my way I thought it was a good idea to have the extra security. Its like going back to the '70's though. We also put the keys in a couple of tins so that radio waves cant be magically extracted and used to open and drive the thing away. I never even considered that with the Galaxy ha!

The very first day I got mine in 2016, it had 20 miles on it.  I went to Halfords and reversed into a space, I found it quite difficult as it was the first saloon car I'd had for 20 years having had estates previously, but I relied on the parking sensors to keep me informed of blind spots.  On hearing a crunch my heart sank, there was a stump of a concrete bollard sticking out the ground at an odd angle, damage was minor, just a couple of small nicks in the paint above the exhaust tip, but I was gutted!  I purchased a touch up pen which effectively hid the chips but to damage a new car is heart breaking!

2 hours ago, cockneychris said:

What does annoy me with the car is that I now have to have a steering lock on it as it has the button start and there has been a lot of thefts of keyless entry cars around my way I thought it was a good idea to have the extra security. Its like going back to the '70's though. We also put the keys in a couple of tins so that radio waves cant be magically extracted and used to open and drive the thing away. I never even considered that with the Galaxy ha!

If they have the technology to boost your key signal or the willing to break into your house to steal the keys then a steering lock wont deter them!

As long as the keys are shielded in the house the signal cloning wont work.

If they break into you house for the keys then a steering lock won't help.

To be honest you don't want forced house entry when you are in the house. If they want the car and are prepared to go to extremes of breaking and entering and searching for keys then I'd rather the car go easily. That's what insurance is for and my family and home are more important.

Lee

If you have a look at my avatar to the left you will see that I have extra protection for the keys and us.😁