Sign in to follow this  
micktheshed

Tomtom failure: how to reboot?

I have a tomtom 'start 25' which has suddenly decide it can't find a satellite.  Here's hoping some-one knows of another procedure to 'reboot' it.
I've tried holding the on button for 20 seconds (which brings up a page of script) & then pressing the button 3 times within 1 second which is supposed to work, but it doesn't.
Being a long-time user of tomtom I realised, looking back, that all 4 of them have failed (for various reasons) after approx. 3 1/2 years. I've come to believe they have a time switch fitted to stop them lasting too long LOL.

How old is this "start 25"?

There were some changes this month which will have disabled some older devices. Something to do with switching some older satellites off.

Does TomTom have a support page on their website?

have a look, it may tell you what you want.

I have to admit my Garmin didn't actually fail, but it would no longer update itself. When I sent it somewhere to get it fixed, they said "Not fixable".

That would have been about 3 or so years after I bought it.....

1 minute ago, daveat92 said:

Does TomTom have a support page on their website?

have a look, it may tell you what you want.

I have to admit my Garmin didn't actually fail, but it would no longer update itself. When I sent it somewhere to get it fixed, they said "Not fixable".

That would have been about 3 or so years after I bought it.....

Yes Tom Tom does have a "forum" type site and they are pretty good at sorting out problems,failing that you could try Tom Tom Support.

As has been mentioned above there was a "resetting" of the GPS clock ( technical term ;) ) on 6th.April which may have affected some units.

Ian

• Like 1

Like most things IT related there is a continuous development process going on behind the scenes and every so often older kit becomes obsolete. However, unlike mobile phones and TVs there is little or no publicity trying to sell new kit in the run up to changes, and people who are content to upgrade phones every few years expect sat navs to run forever.

I have an aged (2013) Tomtom Rider for the bike...  It threw a hissy fit a few months back, and this forum helped me get it back enough until it's replacement arrives tomorrow... Basically, the increase in size of maps for additional POI data etc means that within a relatively short time the capacityof the device is outpaced

Link...

My old TomTom will still work but it needs to be taken outdoors for about 3 or 4 minutes and shown the sky so it knows where to look for satellites. Once it finds them it will work in the car with no problems.

41 minutes ago, Stevan said:

How old is this "start 25"?

There were some changes this month which will have disabled some older devices. Something to do with switching some older satellites off.

Well not quite. The GPS satellites have a time counter that counts weeks amongst other things and which has a maximum count of 1024 (actually 0-1023.)  At 1023+1 the week counter goes to zero.

The week counter was due to hit week 1023 on April 6th this year. As designers of satnavs don't expect them to last more than maybe 5 years - modern throw-away culture? - they didn't bother to think about the possibility of their item still running in April 2019 so ignored it until around the middle of this decade. Hence older satnavs that don't have the necessary firmware to be able to handle a rollover from 1023 to 0 will either stop working or more likely show the date as being in 1999.

• Like 1

I have cut and pasted this from a thread I started about sat navs...so it seems it isn't just me then! These trips have been in last 20 days.

"

Posted yesterday at 13:44

On 16/10/2018 at 20:34, shipbroker said:

Think I will abandon the Lollipop and carry on with the Garmin,so have updated the maps as well.

About 8 months ago I started this thread with a story about my Lollipop satnav and the problems it was giving me....basically inventing turnings where there are none!

So used the Garmin and updated maps a time or two and no problems....till two weeks ago en route to Stratford on Avon....leaving Junction 23A M1 for the usual troll down into Birmingham it lost satellite connection, nothing unusual these days. 23 miles down the road it regained connection in the middle of road works and advised me to leave and take the M42 Northbound, which I had just passed, so took her advice and her next instruction was to retake the Southbound lane which meant a 7 mile circuit......odd methought. Anyway I switched it off and knew I should be heading to the South West lanes so did so.......lost satellite connection on reboot,no problems as knew Coventry should be aimed for.....next instruction was to take the M69 Eastbound towards Leicester...totally opposite direction to that I knew..so switched off and reached destination without further problem. 

That week used it once for local journey with caravan on back and no problems.

Moved to another rally outside Oxford,not far but certainly not a straightforward run. In 40 miles lost connection 5 times and finally came on about 200 yards from destination......

Moved again to the Cotswolds, no satellite losses but several instances of trying to send me down roads which I could see were a) unsuitable and b) in wrong direction.

Yesterday, knowing the route home I did put 'her' on anyway but just put in the junction on M69 I would take......almost within sight of this exit I got an instruction to take a route which would take me into nowhere..

geoff

I had a TomTom ONE for ten years paying for map updates every three months. I finally goosed it trying to install a new battery.

My present TomTom is a GO 6200 (WiFi) which, after a number of experiments including shortest and quickest routes, I have set in Eco friendly mode.

Yesterday I set a route from a site south of Banbury to home in West Cheshire via the storage site in Oxfordshire and a stop in Warmington. As soon as the vehicle started to move all nearby roads with traffic delays showed up on the SatNav and current delays further en route recalculated my ETA. If the delay times changed the ETA recalculated. Fifty miles from home I was advised of a 20 minute delay ahead only 4 miles from home. TomTom continually reported the delay time until I was about ten miles away when the delays ceased. When I arrived at the exact location of the delays I saw thirty foot high tree which tree surgeons had evidently been recently trimming.

Despite delays and slow running on the M42 and the M6 I arrived home within one minute of forecast ETA from leaving.

I was told that after the 6th April and date change owners of Tom Tom sat nags had experienced problems .

Dave

We bought our TomTom 1005 in 2015 and did an update about a month ago.  After the update it would not reboot and kept looping.  Eventually I got it to start up and went to the Factory reset which I did.  It restarted okay and was able to plan a route.  The next time I went to use it, it would not boot up and would only loop around.  Tried soft reset and also hard reset, but to date none have worked. 

Speaking with TomTom on the UK number was like trying to converse with the man on the moon as the person could hardly speak English and was definitely Asian sounding.  He was as much help as a a wet paper bag!

7 hours ago, Durbanite said:

We bought our TomTom 1005 in 2015 and did an update about a month ago.  After the update it would not reboot and kept looping.  Eventually I got it to start up and went to the Factory reset which I did.  It restarted okay and was able to plan a route.  The next time I went to use it, it would not boot up and would only loop around.  Tried soft reset and also hard reset, but to date none have worked. 

Speaking with TomTom on the UK number was like trying to converse with the man on the moon as the person could hardly speak English and was definitely Asian sounding.  He was as much help as a a wet paper bag!

Had the same a couple of months back, but the guy on the phone eventually put me on to someone with an answer!

"It's  irreparable, we can give you 25% off a new one".

29 minutes ago, Stevan said:

Had the same a couple of months back, but the guy on the phone eventually put me on to someone with an answer!

"It's  irreparable, we can give you 25% off a new one".

That's what I had been told a few weeks ago by owners that they had been told if they could have a 30% discount as an existing customer .  

Cheeky ?

Dave

14 hours ago, CommanderDave said:

That's what I had been told a few weeks ago by owners that they had been told if they could have a 30% discount as an existing customer .  

Cheeky ?

Dave

To buy the Go Camper from TomTom cost about £380.  Amazon sell it for a tad over £300 and the seller is TomTom.  Go figure!

On 25/04/2019 at 11:13, CommanderDave said:

I was told that after the 6th April and date change owners of Tom Tom sat nags had experienced problems .

Dave

This article explains it. 

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/02/12/current_gps_epoch_ends/

9 minutes ago, Legal Eagle said:

I was aware I was just pointing out it's a general issue . I tried my Snooper after I updated the software before and on the 6 th  it worked fine .

It's ridiculous that owners are being left out in the cold with just a discount on a new one .

29 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

The issue only effects the time and not the navigation.

To quote from the article, "......causing attempts to calculate position to potentially fail. System and navigation data could even be corrupted, we're warned." So apparently it can affect navigation as well.

3 minutes ago, Legal Eagle said:

To quote from the article, "......causing attempts to calculate position to potentially fail. System and navigation data could even be corrupted, we're warned." So apparently it can affect navigation as well.

Not according to the PocketGPS forum as according to threads on there it is only the time that has been affected and nothing else. 

Apparently older Satnavs can no longer calculate the time it will take to arrive at the destination as they cannot fix on a time.  I am only going by what I have read on the forum.  For all we know I guess both of us could be right, both wrong or one right and one wrong.     :D

I got this e-mail from TomTom several weeks a go

Due to the upcoming WNRO on 6 April 2019, the performance of your device will be impacted.

While we no longer offer content and service updates for your device, we have made an update available that addresses the GPS Week Number Rollover (WNRO).

TO UPDATE: Connect your device to your computer. Click the ‘update now’ button for instructions on how to update your device.

Important note: When you connect your navigation device to your computer, you will see a pop-up stating that it is not possible to make the update. This is normally the case for devices for which we are no longer able to support, but as this is an external issue related to GPS WNRO, we are offering a software update. Close the pop-up and continue with the update.

1 hour ago, Durbanite said:

Not according to the PocketGPS forum as according to threads on there it is only the time that has been affected and nothing else. 

Apparently older Satnavs can no longer calculate the time it will take to arrive at the destination as they cannot fix on a time.  I am only going by what I have read on the forum.  For all we know I guess both of us could be right, both wrong or one right and one wrong.     :D

I just provided a link to an article which quotes the USA Homeland Security Dept. who should know what they're talking about since the GPS satellites are theirs!

I'm not professing to be right or wrong, just trying to provide information which may assist understanding the problems being experienced.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, CommanderDave said:

I was aware I was just pointing out it's a general issue . I tried my Snooper after I updated the software before and on the 6 th  it worked fine .

It's ridiculous that owners are being left out in the cold with just a discount on a new one .

I'm guessing that if the satnav failed to boot, then it may be nothing to do with the WNRO issue but a fault in the unit itself

Posted (edited)

My TomTom GO 6200, purchased in October 2018, ceased to give an ETA for any journey in early April this year and was blank where the ETA had previously shown. The ETA returned when planning a journey on 16th April.

A simple search shows that TomTom have a dedicated webpage relating to the date issue. From this I have concluded that my GO 6200 has been automatically updated.

I have just checked the above site to discover that my SatNav was not affected by the date and I have incorrectly concluded that my device was updated.

Edited by DeeTee
Added sentence