Sign in to follow this  
Tuningdrew

Cassette cleaning machines

Posted (edited)

Anyone else had issues with one of the cassette cleaning machines? Used one on site this weekend and surprised how much ‘debris’ is left in the cassette afterwards. My friends cassette was left in the same state and a couple of people we spoke to on site said they had used the same make machine elsewhere with similar results? 

Shame if that’s the case as emptying the cassette is  a chore we’d all rather not do but if it’s not clean afterwards what’s the point?

maybe I’m missing something here..........

Edited by Tuningdrew
Typo

Not the first time I have heard your comments, not tried them myself, prefer to give the cassette a good clean myself using Thetford Tank Cleaner

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tuningdrew said:

Anyone else had issues with one of the cassette cleaning machines? Used one on site this weekend and surprised how much ‘debris’ is left in the cassette afterwards. My friends cassette was left in the same state and a couple of people we spoke to on site said they had used the same make machine elsewhere with similar results? 

Shame if that’s the case as emptying the cassette is  a chore we’d all rather not do but if it’s not clean afterwards what’s the point?

maybe I’m missing something here..........

TD, as you've actually used one of these machines, perhaps you could confirm what was written in a Club magazine recently, ie that it uses a 'jet wash' to clean the insides?

John

From what I heard going on inside I’m inclined to think it extracts the contents via vacuum, refills the cassette and repeats the operation. The outside of the cassette is bone dry. It’s possible water jets may be used during the refilling process I suppose?

I've never seen one and doubt I'd use one even if I did.

It really doesn't take a lot of effort to empty the tank and swill it round a couple of times with clean water. I do use Thetford or Elsan tank cleaner once or twice a year but TBH it doesn't really need it

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tuningdrew said:

From what I heard going on inside I’m inclined to think it extracts the contents via vacuum, refills the cassette and repeats the operation. The outside of the cassette is bone dry. It’s possible water jets may be used during the refilling process I suppose?

I would think that if using a water jet the float may be damaged?

I have never used one .....but we were at Old Oaks last summer where there is a cassette cleaning machine. I spoke to a chap who was trying to use it. His money had been taken, correct buttons pushed apparently and then that was it. It wouldn't return his cassette cleaned or otherwise. This was approx 7am and he was all set to depart for home. We both messed about a bit with various combinations of buttons pushed, but no luck. The office wasn't open at the time but he did manage to locate a staff member & I guess he was successful as he wasnt there an hour later.

That aside I dont think I would use one anyway for 5 minutes effort.

I think that most people try them once due to it having a novelty value and then do not bother using it again!

Hells bells what do you guys eat if you need a machine to clean it out afterwards :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Never used one of these machines or the other methods that seem to be being used, whilst away over Easter, motorhome next door to us, guy toddled off to empty cassette, comes back and pours 2 litres of coke into it, puts cap on and proceeds to shake cassette violently, me and the wife couldn't believe what we were seeing, especially when he pressed the vent button and spray of coke and whatever, sprayed out vertically upward. A quick google revealed this seems common in the motorhome community, along with some other very strange toilet practices.

Mark

• Haha 1

Sounds like someone we met who fills his Wastemaster and Aquaroll with Orange Juice at end of season and leaves it in till Spring.

geoff 

No ‘solids’ allowed in our onboard toilet, we only use sites with excellent facilities. Mrs B won’t use those automatic things anyway because they’re ‘touching’ other people’s dirty business 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

No ‘solids’ allowed in our onboard toilet, we only use sites with excellent facilities. Mrs B won’t use those automatic things anyway because they’re ‘touching’ other people’s dirty business 

:goodpost::lol::D

you sure Mrs B & Mrs J are not related!!

ours is also a pooh free zone.

have used the cassette cleaning machines just because it was there and I could..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I can't see the point of them.

I empty mine, solids and all, then swill it out with water a couple of times and it's clean enough for me.

I don't drink out of it, so provided it looks "clean" I'm satisfied.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, shipbroker said:

Sounds like someone we met who fills his Wastemaster and Aquaroll with Orange Juice at end of season and leaves it in till Spring.

geoff 

I bet it doesn't taste everso good after a winter in the tank though.:unsure:

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

I would rather use my own toilet when you see some of the public ones  and how they are used on sites.  I would have thought your Mrs B would prefer this too as the public ones are "touching" other peoples dirty business in more ways than one ! At least you know who has used your own toilet and what their habits are :D

Alan

Edited by AlanS

22 minutes ago, AlanS said:

I would rather use my own toilet when you see some of the public ones  and how they are used on sites.  I would have thought your Mrs B would prefer this too as the public ones are "touching" other peoples dirty business in more ways than one ! At least you know who has used your own toilet and what their habits are :D

Alan

We only use ‘Posh’ sites and she takes a bottle of disinfectant spray with her. After ‘camping’ for  months on end in the desert, doing my dirty business in a hole whilst chatting to my mates, it doesn’t really bother me where I do it :)

4 hours ago, CraigP2005 said:

Hells bells what do you guys eat if you need a machine to clean it out afterwards :rolleyes:

Surely you mean what do you guys not eat if you need a machine to clean it out afterwards. :lol:

• Haha 2

Whilst I understand the need for basic hygiene, is there not a bit of health paranoia going on? If you don't have sufficient exposure to the bugs in the greater population, you will suffer from the illnesses, rather than build immunity... and excessive use of disinfectants is one of the contributing factors for getting "superbug" evolution...

13 hours ago, Borussia 1900 said:

We only use ‘Posh’ sites and she takes a bottle of disinfectant spray with her. After ‘camping’ for  months on end in the desert, doing my dirty business in a hole whilst chatting to my mates, it doesn’t really bother me where I do it :)

Nearest ant bear hole saved you from digging your own hole.  We also used the "lily" for number one.  South African Army slang word for special type of urinal. Look it up.  LOL!  :D

37 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

Nearest ant bear hole saved you from digging your own hole.  We also used the "lily" for number one.  South African Army slang word for special type of urinal. Look it up.  LOL!  :D

I’m guessing it’s like what British Military call a ‘desert rose’

On 24/04/2019 at 07:29, Les Medes said:

Not the first time I have heard your comments, not tried them myself, prefer to give the cassette a good clean myself using Thetford Tank Cleaner

+1

2 hours ago, Guzzilazz said:

Whilst I understand the need for basic hygiene, is there not a bit of health paranoia going on? If you don't have sufficient exposure to the bugs in the greater population, you will suffer from the illnesses, rather than build immunity... and excessive use of disinfectants is one of the contributing factors for getting "superbug" evolution...

Absolutely so.  A good healthy germ wouldn't live in my body!