Sign in to follow this  
Mike89000

Dometic toilet light

Posted (edited)

Hi all On the Vip   dometic saneo toilet has anyone had a problem with the orange 3/4 full light on the panel staying on after emptying  it mine won’t go out even after removing the fuse for 12 hours and putting it back in it’s still on

Edited by Mike89000

These lights are operated by a magnet on the float inside the cassette acting on a reed switch in the back of the cassette housing.  If the light is not going out it is almost certainly because the float in the cassette is jammed possibly by paper or other debris in the cassette.    Remove the cassette open the slide and look inside.   The float should be visible and should move if you shake the cassette gently.

Opening the slide on a Dometic toilet is not that easy - well on mine it isn't. But if you can't get the slide to move could you not fill the cassette up with water again so that the panel indicates full (red) then this would mean that the float has risen and may have 'un-jammed' so to speak - then carefully take the cassette out and empty it carefully and the  see if all the lights are now extinguished.

Alan 

Sorry I should have said I had the top off the cassette to see if the arm is jammed but it moves freely 

Posted (edited)

You should be able to get to the float in the Dometic tank easily;

Remove tank from caravan and pull back (away from the slide lever handle) on the green plastic ‘saddle’ that covers the slide/hole in the tank (the saddle is sprung loaded but will def pull back)

Now you can pull the slider open to look into the tank.

You can remove the whole slider/saddle unit, leaving a large access hole in the top of the tank if you hold tank still and turn the slider/saddle assembly anti-clockwise.

Cleaning the rubber sealing rings in both ports and then applying some silicone spray lube or olive oil on the seals will improve the ease of use of the slider and make it easier to remove the access port next time.

Push the saddle back into place and cassette is ready to go back into the caravan.

I did not like my Dometic loo originally but over 4 years now it has worked well (once i could see how to get it apart when necessary).

Edited by VOLVOVANNER

Hi all

I picked up a new van last month and the first time I used the toilet the 3/4 light came on and wouldn't  go out :-( .  I did leave it at home for two weeks and the light went out, I thought problem sorted.  It wasn't, the light is still on.  I will have a go at taking it apart this weekend see if I can sort it.

I did hear there was a fault with the control boards but not sure how true it is!!!!!

On 23/04/2019 at 18:02, Mike89000 said:

3/4 full light on the panel staying on after emptying

Sorry, I'm a bit late to this thread but yes I know about the light staying on.

The lower of the two reed switches operates the 3/4 full light and seems to stick on ( I know of two others with the same problem). I've tried a magnet on it but can't make it unstick. What I do now is give the switch a sharp tap with the key-fob, that unsticks it every time!

You'll need to do your own experiments to calibrate 'sharp tap' (for me it involved having the window open so you can see the light!) but, you don't need to be too violent with it.

Thanks for that Mickyjb, one question where do I find the switches? are the on the tank or the built in unit? I'm a bit hacked off it shouldn't be like this on a new van!

3/4 light came on when I had emptied the cassette, went back out removed the cassette refitted it and light went out, no problems since, thanks for the heads-up though, worth remembering if it happens again.. :goodpost:

It seems that some work and some don't. Probably a tolerance mismatch between switches and the control board. I've never had a problem with the 'full' light,  but then, I don't often let it get that far! I can't seem to get through a day without one of the (many) lights coming on though!

Tony, you're in luck I'm away in the 'van at the moment.

2 hours ago, VIPTony said:

where do I find the switches?

IMG_1483.thumb.jpg.d07585e8549da2a9e0ca1d2e5eca79f7.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks mickjb a tap is all it needed

its one of the things that drives you mad 

it must be my age 😊

Thanks Mickyjb just found the switches but light not on at the moment I will test it next weekend.  Enjoy your holiday.

Thanks Mike and Tony, I hope all is well from now on. To be honest I don't know if the problem persists on my 'van I've just got into the habit of tapping the switch every time.