Safefill cylinder availability

just been to our local safefill dealer --- well he would be if he could get some stock from them ! he doent know whats going on, but looking on the internet there seems to be an acute shortage of cylinders. Safefill have a notice on their web page " awaiting stock" think that has been there for some time , anybody any info -- have they gone bust ?

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

Was browsing Spinney caravan/motorhome shop yesterday and saw a row of the yellow and red refillable cylinders.

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

AndersG,-- been looking on line for safefill cylinders & found this ,https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10kg-24-5L-Light-Composite-Gas-Bottle-UK-REFILLABLE/323253061989?hash=item4b43624965:g:R9IAAOSwl5JcG3gA

As you seem to be on the continent it might be of interest -- you buy adaptors to suit where you are. we have the old Safefill cylinder ( paid for itself 6 times over ! ) & now that calor have stated they dont intend to produce a new lightweight cylinder we are thinking of buying another one ( safefill )

4 hours ago, david 1220 said:

just been to our local safefill dealer --- well he would be if he could get some stock from them ! he doent know whats going on, but looking on the internet there seems to be an acute shortage of cylinders. Safefill have a notice on their web page " awaiting stock" think that has been there for some time , anybody any info -- have they gone bust ?

I went to ours today to fill up and to buy one of the small cylinders.  Dealer informed me that there had been production difficulties but that a recent telecon with them  informed him that production was getting back in swing.

Sam :beardy:   RR Sport HSE Dynamic towing Swift Elegance Grande 845

Just been looking at Facebook-- a number of Safefill dealers report that they now have stock of safefill cylinders ( restocked @27 march )--https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=safefill&epa=SEARCH_BOX

Seems to be an annual thing, get a production run then when it sells out, seems to take ages before new ones come. I ended up getting an Alugas as there was no supply date suggested 

Were the smaller cylinders ever in stock, with this new mk 4 bottle design?   Personally if it fits I would buy a 10kg bottle you don’t have to completely fill it, but does give the extra flexibility. 

We had the 10kg bottle but when we changed the brand of caravan, it was a very tight fit and awkward to remove the bottle for refilling.  We sold it and then bought the 7kg bottle as that will fit in any caravan.

Bought  a 7.5kg one three weeks ago next day delivery was very fast.  It's important to only put 10 Ltrs in for first fill and you need a hand wheel type regulator or pigtail to make good seal.  These have rubber on the end to make a good seal and won't damage the valve.

Safefill do tell you all about this but we don't always read instructions ;)

Edited by vulcan7
change to size

Is next day delivery standard or always available? Any ideas about Saturday delivery? Can't find anything about deliveries on the homepage and they want you to pay before choosing delivery options!

Try emailing them to ask.  I found them quite responsive when I asked them a question a few months ago.    

I filled my original style Safefill bottle yesterday 8.6kg cost £8.61.  

The problem with Safefill seems always to have been the supply of the bottles.   This currently lot is the fourth type of bottle they have used and there are  always  gaps in stock while they try and find another source.  

Another issue is that the map for refilling is way out of date the last time we checked.  They used offer the option to download POI for Safefill refilling, but cannot find it on the new website?

Did check the refill map a couple of weeks ago -- since Morrisons have joined the refill site it seems to have been updated.

9 hours ago, AndersG said:

Is next day delivery standard or always available? Any ideas about Saturday delivery? Can't find anything about deliveries on the homepage and they want you to pay before choosing delivery options!

Not sure but my experience was next day delivery with tracking, expect it depends on where you live northwest for me.  Plenty of refill opportunities round where I live too !

In a word, no as safefills are all about 305mm at the bottom and my wells are about 260 but I always carry a 13 kg propane, so now instead of that I have the safefill.  My plan long term is to make an insert to go into one of  the wells that can seat a safefill 7.5 kg i have more than enough height in my front locker to allow this.

Edited by vulcan7

Are caravans with "wells" designed in conjunction with Calor to stop use of Gaslight and refillables?

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

4 minutes ago, David 38 said:

Are caravans with "wells" designed in conjunction with Calor to stop use of Gaslight and refillables?

I bought a 10kg Safefill recently and found to my delight that I had dual indentation rings in the floor of the gas locker on my Bailey S7, one that fitted my Calor Lite and the larger one that fits the new Safefill cylinder, .....  result.

Dave.

4 minutes ago, Pickled Onion said:

I bought a 10kg Safefill recently and found to my delight that I had dual indentation rings in the floor of the gas locker on my Bailey S7, one that fitted my Calor Lite and the larger one that fits the new Safefill cylinder, .....  result.

Dave.

My bailey over the wheel side locker will not take my Gaslight due to diameter but only one Calor steel 6kg and one 3 kg steel.

Would I find a Safefill would fit my Bailey Pursuit 400-2 ?

Regards, David

The former  10kg Safefill is the same bottle as Gaslight it has the same dimensions, and looks the same apart from  the colour.  Don’t know about the new one.  

Ps your use of designed and caravan in the same sentence gave me a good laugh

12AE3F60-E6B5-4A4C-9FE1-1BA877C42A37.jpeg

Thanks won't fit then.

Regards, David