peteus

dometic fridge on gas

hi everybody ,   ive  been on the fist trip this year and my fridge  RM 8550L  wont get going  it will pop and run but when I take my hand off the gas reg it goes out , I can hold in the reg  for 60 secs and it still goes out ,  has anyone had same problem ? and how did you rectify it .     Thanks  Pete

I stripped mine and cleaned the gas jet and flue.

Works fine now.

1 hour ago, peteus said:

hi everybody ,   ive  been on the fist trip this year and my fridge  RM 8550L  wont get going  it will pop and run but when I take my hand off the gas reg it goes out , I can hold in the reg  for 60 secs and it still goes out ,  has anyone had same problem ? and how did you rectify it .     Thanks  Pete

I hope it was your FIRST trip rather than 'fist trip', because I believe that refers to something quite different [so I am told ...]. A very stupid thought [and I did this at the weekend when in a harassed state!]. Have you turned on the gas supply at the bottle and the regulator? I was cursing the failure of the pilot light to stay on when I suddenly remembered that I hadn't turned on the bulkhead regulator ... Worked much better after that!

Failing that, a blocked jet is the most obvious cause, assuming the gas bottle is not empty;  does the fridge work on 230v?

Steve

thanks for your replies , yes I think its time for a strip down ,  all the other gas burners etc are working ,  and  in  " fist trips"        Marchie1053   the ones I remember I used to come 2nd

• Like 1

You say it pops.   Is it staying lit even with you holding down the gas supply knob?   The reason I ask is I’ve had the gas pop and it blows itself out.  Best practise I’ve found is to start the spark and then press the gas supply and not other way round.  This is the actual gas air mixture is quite critical and doing that way mean you get the right mixture. 

If it’s not that and it’s lighting then logically the flame failure thermocouple is either faulty or out of position and not siting in the flame. 

Sounds like its ready for a service ;)

• Like 1

As said sounds like blocked jet to start with then it could possibly be the thermocouple .

Dave

thanks I have got plenty to try ,  it was working before we went away but when we got there it wouldn't work ,    

I stripped it down cleaned it up  it works ok now  .     thanks everybody  

no its gone again ,  I cleaned it out fitted it back together and it wont go , ive tried another thermos coupling still no good ,  im a bit reluctant to try a engineer , my friend got bit a while ago , I am an engineer myself but not a gas engineer ,  any ideas would be welcome .  I am just  going to clean it and try again ,  thanks  

It is gas, it can kill........bite the bullet and get a professional to look at it.

geoff

Geoff (shipbroker) gives 100% correct advice.

Do you service your gas boiler at home?

9 minutes ago, onewheelonmywagon said:

Do Dometic do gas boilers as well ?

No, but if Carlsberg did...........................................................................................

I agree with Geoff and Graham. Just get a price for the servicing first.

I think that is the way to go this is the last straw ,   the thing is these fridges are expensive new    .       wise words thanks

now the gas fridge lights up the pilot light stays on but will not get cold  its like it wont turn up ,  

1 hour ago, peteus said:

the pilot light stays on but will not get cold 

Do you have the knob turned up to maximum?

yes ,     it is turned on fully ,      I am going to leave it on all night and see how far its chilled , ive just been away for a couple of weeks and its worked perfect on mains   ,   pete

Peteus, 

Sounds like we have a common fault. 

I have my fridge out of the carcass for now. On 240 the top of the boiler pipe is really hot, but on gas is barely warm. 

Also when I fire it up on gas, the the needle only just creeps into the green section of the front panel.  Have you found a solution yet?