Sign in to follow this  
Les666

time to change tyres?

I have 2 questions and after hours wandering the internet I'm no wiser...so here I am..

q1...   How old are my tyres?  they are in excellent condition  but maybe due for replacement..

Details on tyre are.....    Kargomax C    GT radial    ST-6000     185 R14 C    104/102N

The only other details are   SP852-03 FRT      Dot 5WHO     6AA

q2....assuming they are budget tyres and nearing the 6 year advisory limit  I am inclined to change them...  but for what?

I will want good tyres so what's the general feeling of what to go for.. 

Tyres are date stamped with week year so 3413 would be week 34 of 2013. It is stamped in an oval but only on one side so you may have to look on tbe inside.

The most important thing with new tyres is the load rating which, in your case, is 104/102N.

As said re. the dates and if you are lucky they will be on the outside!

2 of mine are on the inside and cant see what they are even with a torch and mirror, going to remove them for a peep.

Getting 2 new non directional tyres on my caravan tomorrow and will make sure the dates go on the outside.

Example - this tyre was made around the end of September in 2009 …

179389580_CaravanTyreDotDateCode.png.168535cc1d564fd52eac4f8fc0c7c605.png

John

I don't have much faith in the Indonesian GT tyres.

Mine showed cracks after only 4 years.

Problem is that my Lunar is on the heavy side for a single axle and I couldn't find any 104 rated replacements.

This may have changed over the past year though. 

The tyres may well be marked "For Trailer use only" as, according to my tyre chappie, GT make them for Ifor Williams. They are only rated to, I think, 80mph - but I am more likely to overload my caravan than do over 80mph for a significant time.

There are cheaper, lower load rated tyes available, but I wanted the maximum capacity available.

Budget they may be, cheap they are not!!

2 hours ago, Les666 said:

q2....assuming they are budget tyres and nearing the 6 year advisory limit  I am inclined to change them...  but for what?

I will want good tyres so what's the general feeling of what to go for.. 

Les, I’m intrigued regards the 6 year limit. For many years the tyre people advised a max of 7 years, and then realised they’d sell more tyres by bringing it down to 5 years (similar thinking to the mattress people’s 8 year ‘rule’). But where did you read about 6 years?

My last vans have come with Hankook tyres, so that’s what I stuck with when the time came to change (at 7 years but with no cracks or damage). I think they’re small van tyres marked C for ‘commercial’. I used Tyres On The Drive at my storage yard - highly recommended.

John

There seems to be more problems with the tyres cracking as the pressures get higher

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Paul_B said:

There seems to be more problems with the tyres cracking as the pressures get higher

Not sure if this is the case. Last year I replaced the 7 year old tyres on our caravan, they had been kept at 65 psi and when replaced they looked new. Some years the caravan had not been used and it did not seem to affect the tyres. The original tyres were Maxmiler GITI (Fujian) 175R14C 8PR. In have had cracking on car tyres, original fit Michelin and Bridgestone but not on their replacements, still Michelin but maybe the car manufacturer tyre quality is different.

Edited by Paul1957

didn't think of inside the tyre...  will go have a look..  

re the 6 years..  I read somewhere that this was a good average as the BTMA (British Tyre Manufacturers' Association) recommend that caravan tyres be replaced every 5 years and should never be used if they are over 7 years old.

The 2 new tyres will go on a single axle with a max caravan weight of 1000kg

found date...0714  on inside of both tyres..typical

I will run these till March next year assuming no problems..

So what is a good make of tyre for caravans?

Les666

Don't assume anything!

Make sure you thoroughly check the tyres and not just the walls. The tyres on our Luna looked fine but on removing there were  huge cracks down in the tread that were all but invisible from a visual inspection. We were preparing to leave on a 2,000 mile trip to Europe and I don't think they would have lasted the trip to Dover!

I got Tyres on the Drive to fit the appropriately load rated Kumho van tyres.

tyre.thumb.jpg.476b769a2cdcea13f98ad3d20ad64be1.jpg

I'm firmly of the opinion that given the conditions that caravan tyres tend to endure (ignored for weeks / months on end,  running close to their rated capacity, often used for extended periods without a break) that it's false economy not to fit the best available.

I've had very good service from Bridgestones, which cost around £80 each depending on where they're from, but I haven't experienced any of this cracking or other issues.

Given you're only fitting new ones every 5 years or so, the cost / mile or / month is trivial.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, iansoady said:

I'm firmly of the opinion that given the conditions that caravan tyres tend to endure (ignored for weeks / months on end,  running close to their rated capacity, often used for extended periods without a break) that it's false economy not to fit the best available.

I've had very good service from Bridgestones, which cost around £80 each depending on where they're from, but I haven't experienced any of this cracking or other issues.

Given you're only fitting new ones every 5 years or so, the cost / mile or / month is trivial.

Good point, but how do you identify "the best available"?

Do you take the gullible approach and assume that "best available" equates to "most expensive?

For car tyres it is relatively easy, there is published data about such things as grip (both wet and dry) stopping distances, noise levels, rolling resistance and wear resistance. But for caravans these factors are much less important than UV stability, puncture resistance and aging qualities which are not published anywhere.

From my experience, sidewall cracking of tyres on low mileage cars is as bad, if not worse, for premium brands as for mid range equivalents.

If you cannot be certain that you are actually getting what you are paying for why pay extra?

I would not advocate simply buying the cheapest because "cheap" often goes hand in hand with "nasty", but where to draw the line?

• Like 1

On 22/04/2019 at 14:47, Johnaldo said:

Les, I’m intrigued regards the 6 year limit. For many years the tyre people advised a max of 7 years, and then realised they’d sell more tyres by bringing it down to 5 years (similar thinking to the mattress people’s 8 year ‘rule’). But where did you read about 6 years?

My last vans have come with Hankook tyres, so that’s what I stuck with when the time came to change (at 7 years but with no cracks or damage). I think they’re small van tyres marked C for ‘commercial’. I used Tyres On The Drive at my storage yard - highly recommended.

John

Do they cope with Tyron bands?

The lines of premium and budget tyres are becoming clouded with tyres from the leading makes being made in china . My last set of Dunlop for the caravan was made in China .

Dave

24 minutes ago, Stevan said:

Good point, but how do you identify "the best available"?

True, it's difficult. But I would rely on manufacturers like Bridgestone, Pirelli etc rather than those from the far east.

Having said that, the tyres on my Discovery are Toyos and have proved excellent for wear, grip and general behaviour. But even these are not the cheapest.

I believe one problem is the fact that cheap tyres are fitted from new on many caravans, and owners merely replace like with like.

3 minutes ago, iansoady said:

True, it's difficult. But I would rely on manufacturers like Bridgestone, Pirelli etc rather than those from the far east.

Having said that, the tyres on my Discovery are Toyos and have proved excellent for wear, grip and general behaviour. But even these are not the cheapest.

I believe one problem is the fact that cheap tyres are fitted from new on many caravans, and owners merely replace like with like.

But even the brands well known in the UK are often made in the far east! 

Worn tyres.jpg

I must be one of those rare people who has replaced caravan tyres because they are actually worn out after about three years, rather than because of age.

Gordon.

30 minutes ago, iansoady said:

Many of the big brands like Bridgestone, Pirelli, etc have their tyres made in the far east.

24 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

Many of the big brands like Bridgestone, Pirelli, etc have their tyres made in the far east.

Think I would probably substitute first word Many for Most these days!                             ( Bridgestone was actually a Japanese tire made in partnership with the Akron factory before WW2.)

According to a US paper I read recently 82% of medium (car) and  light heavy (truck) tyres are now made in Far East...

If you want a purely English one then Avon will still sell you a set.....don't know how much though.

geoff

24 minutes ago, shipbroker said:

Think I would probably substitute first word Many for Most these days!                             ( Bridgestone was actually a Japanese tire made in partnership with the Akron factory before WW2.)

According to a US paper I read recently 82% of medium (car) and  light heavy (truck) tyres are now made in Far East...

If you want a purely English one then Avon will still sell you a set.....don't know how much though.

geoff

Avon Tyres were bought by the US-based Cooper tyres in 1997 - Avon Rubber plc is the British-owned non-tyre part of Avon

And Avon/Cooper tyres shouldn't be used for caravans, did someone mention deja vous :blink:

Cooper now have their tyres made in Kunshan China for the US Market......

And as Paul above mentioned:-

https://www.coopertire.co.uk/improper-use-on-caravans/

geoff

I take all the points made. Obviously where the tyre is made has little influence on its quality......