Sign in to follow this  
LifelessTrel

Caravan Kettle

Hi Guys

Any suggestions for what Kettle to buy for the Caravan 

Thanks in advance 

Trel

Good wide base with loud whistle   Works on gas, anytime anyplace, and not tied to the orange umbilical 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Get a low wattage one, mine is from my local caravan shop and is 900w. I also have a kettle that can be boiled on the gas that we use when travelling through France.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

For gas use we use an aluminium camping kettle with folding handle and whistle, about £6.00-£7.00.

For electric the Aldi one as mentione above, Tesco and Argos do budget range 1kw or 1.5kw kettles, we hav had our 1kw Tesco 'Value' range for a coupleof years, works just fine for £6.00.

Edited by Sea&Sand

We have two kettles, one is gas with a whistle that can be used anytime, while the other is a low wattage mains electric (750W) one that takes an age to boil but is probably used most as we are usually on EHU, and using it leave a gas ring available for other things.

We have one for Gas with a whistle and the other is a low wattage Swiss Luxx make widely available in caravan dealers, and very reliable

Russell Hobbs 23840 Travel Light Small Kettle  £14.99 from Argos

6 hours ago, Sea&Sand said:

For gas use we use an aluminium camping kettle with folding handle and whistle, about £6.00-£7.00.

For electric the Aldi one as mentione above, Tesco and Argos do budget range 1kw or 1.5kw kettles, we hav had our 1kw Tesco 'Value' range for a coupleof years, works just fine for £6.00.

Ah, so no worries about Alzheimer's then?

2 hours ago, Woodentop said:

My late Mother had one of those, used it for years till she passed away,still compos mentis, at 97.

geoff

There's a far greater risk from alcohol and smoking, using the kettle for a cup of tea would drastically lower the risk.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Woodentop said:

Ah, so no worries about Alzheimer's then?

I won't bother with a response re Alzheimers risk, but thank you for raising the question, appreciated :rolleyes:.

Edited by Sea&Sand

We have a cheap kettle that we can use on gas or on the electric hop very useful and lite.

We got the cheapest electric kettle we could find from Tesco/Asda/Sainsbury - they are cheap because they have a lower wattage element than normal. Paid around £5 several years ago.

• +1 1

If I replace my kampa  electric kettle it will be a collapsible as we find by the time you put in a cupboard it take up so much space .

Dave

I don't see the point in carting 2 kettles about. Our stainless steel one with a whistle (gas fired) has served us well for 20 years and is still going strong.

SWMBO insisted on a new kettle for the new caravan (and who am I to argue?) :D Very stylish if a tad heavy, but if SWMBO is happy then so am I.

BH

Cheapest supermarket "Value" electric kettle (have a look first to see if you think it will pour tidy - far too many 'Designers' seem to think an elegant shape is what matters most) .

And for use on gas...

Use a saucepan.  Why carry around a special container for heating liquids when you already have a special container for heating liquids.

P.S.  If your saucepan doesn't pour tidy - see above.

• Like 1

It depends where you want to go. In the UK you will get 10A or more practically everywhere. In France, Belgium, Netherlands and Germany you will usually get at least 6A, although when you get down south in France and certainly very often in Spain the limit can be as low as 3A. Only stayed at two sites in Italy and they were both 6A.

One thing you do sometimes find in France is that you can have more current if you pay for it. They put two fused breakers (note fuses, not MCBs) in parallel, one at 6A and one at 10A (or 4 and 8A,) and switch in whichever combination you pay for.  Another one to watch for is that they have a box feeding say six pitches and they tell you the limit is 6A. However look in the box and you find each outlet has a 16A breaker and there is a 32A breaker on the main feed. This means that each user can actually draw (32/number of users)A. Only the French......

It is quite common in Germany and Luxembourg to be metered and charged for what you use - our experience is that these sites often limit at 10A.

10 hours ago, pepys1660 said:

Cheapest supermarket "Value" electric kettle (have a look first to see if you think it will pour tidy - far too many 'Designers' seem to think an elegant shape is what matters most) .

And for use on gas...

Use a saucepan.  Why carry around a special container for heating liquids when you already have a special container for heating liquids.

P.S.  If your saucepan doesn't pour tidy - see above.

Those "value" kettles are not a good idea for a caravan as the wattage is too high and may trip the bollard especially if in the EU.

On 23/08/2019 at 15:18, TenStar said:

We got the cheapest electric kettle we could find from Tesco/Asda/Sainsbury - they are cheap because they have a lower wattage element than normal.

I go along with TenStar.   Although I have a whistle kettle, I hardly ever use it.   Some years I spend an entire winter in Spain without ever turning the gas bottle on.   I use a Tesco Value kettle which has a 2KW element in it.   However, if ever I do find myself on a site where I'm doubtful about the supply I plug in this device:-

Vantric.jpg.4f82db5ced4acd3cdaf6a5ee5534bf1a.jpg

It must be all of 40 years ago that I bought it.   The label on it calls it Vantric.   When it's plugged in, it effectively turns the kettle into a 1000W kettle.   I often wonder why it isn't available to buy now.

On 23/08/2019 at 16:45, iansoady said:

I don't see the point in carting 2 kettles about. Our stainless steel one with a whistle (gas fired) has served us well for 20 years and is still going strong.

We use a 750w camping kettle as we're usually on EHU and a saucepan on the rare occasion when we aren't.

Philips low wattage kettle. It's 22 years old and we have a spare for when it finally dies!

We also have a green metal gas ring kettle. It weighs next to nothing and boils more efficiently than a saucepan.

We don't have any other plug in items (toaster, coffee machine, bread maker, electric hot plate) but the kettle makes sense and it's only dinky