Solar panel regulator problem.

Braemoray 987

I have a Sargent solar panel regulator for my 100v factory fitted solar panel on a Swift Elegance 565,

Today received an email from sargent to say the liesure battery was overcharging the battery, i went out to the caravan and found the control panel saying liesure battery to high and bleeping, the solar regulator was flashing indicating it was charging.

I could not find a way of isolating the solar panel so have disconnected the battery. 

Has anyone else had the same problem?

20 hours ago, Braemoray 987 said:

I have a Sargent solar panel regulator for my 100v factory fitted solar panel on a Swift Elegance 565,

Today received an email from sargent to say the liesure battery was overcharging the battery, i went out to the caravan and found the control panel saying liesure battery to high and bleeping, the solar regulator was flashing indicating it was charging.

I could not find a way of isolating the solar panel so have disconnected the battery. 

I think you mean 100W.  If the regulator is setup incorrectly, then it could quite possibly overcharge the battery, particularly if you have it set to an AGM battery type, and have a conventional flooded lead acid battery.  

The regulator in my new Bailey is a standard "Chinese" made job, badged up by Truma. If you can get to see that,, just undo one of the connections to the battery, and insulating tape around the stripped end so that should it touch anything, nothing nasty will occur.

What happens when like we are away just now and we are on EHU and the 160 w solar is working well as it's full sunshine? Will it overcharge ? I see the Caravan volt meter on 13.9 v all the time never goes over that. Is that OK do the sparky people think please ?

Unattended mine fluctuates daily between 13.1 and 14.53.  Sounds high but I am assured it’s OK. It’s been doing that for over 2 years and not blown up.

On 20/04/2019 at 21:02, Braemoray 987 said:

And what do Sargent say?  I can confirm that their customer service is excellent even if out of guarantee.

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

My Morningstar adjust the voltage according to the battery's state of charge, for the absorption charge its 14.4v , float is 13.7v and once a month it will do the equalising charge at 14.9v :)

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)