Sign in to follow this  
Silverback

Now a Whale water problem.

Posted (edited)

Had a running problem last summer with the Uni4 water pumps failing & always whilst having a shower. So guess what having a shower tonight and the waters packed up again. On my third pump now and the inlet box pressure switch was replaced just before the end of last year. Only just had the van serviced last month ūüė° ... Starting to get totally miffed with this Whale equipment.¬† It's no joke not having water on a site with no shower/toilet block ūüė°ūüė°

Edited by JanandJay

My Whale problem was corrosion on the socket contacts and corrosion on the spade connectors in the plug.

see here

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wunny said:

My Whale problem was corrosion on the socket contacts and corrosion on the spade connectors in the plug.

see here

All new from the start & all been replaced again ... ūüôĄ

I put an onboard tank in my Pegasus with a separate Seaflow pump so now I have both Aquaroll with Whale pump and my new setup. No need for taps or any major plumbing at all just remove the fitting from side of van and switch on the Seaflow pump and all's sweet. More pressure to than the Whale setup. Just  'Td' the Seaflow hose into the existing line no trouble at all. 

12 hours ago, James Donald said:

I put an onboard tank in my Pegasus with a separate Seaflow pump so now I have both Aquaroll with Whale pump and my new setup. No need for taps or any major plumbing at all just remove the fitting from side of van and switch on the Seaflow pump and all's sweet. More pressure to than the Whale setup. Just  'Td' the Seaflow hose into the existing line no trouble at all. 

The pump had packed up again tonight. Had to stand outside and shake the pump when it stopped to get it working whilst the wife took a shower. Off to buy yet another pump tomorrow and before anyone replies ... Yes I haven't let the pump run dry and yes we switch of the mains when re-filling the tank. 

Hi Silverback,

Please contact our Customer Support Team who will do all they can to assist you with this Water Pump query.
Contact details below. 

Tel: 02891 270531 (weekdays) or 0845 217 2933 (weekends)

Email: info@whalepumps.com

Alternatively send me the best number to get you on in a private message and I will get one of our team to give you a call back. 

Best wishes

Rachel

• Like 1

Nice to see the supplier weighing in here & on the other thread.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, iansoady said:

Nice to see the supplier weighing in here & on the other thread.

Agree totally, have used Whale Customer Support myself in the past (including over a bank holiday weekend) and they were there on the phone and we pin-pointed the problem and as caravan under warranty required parts were sent and delivered next day.

Superb service, good products, helpful support when required and they proactively seem to monitor this forum. Well done and thanks Whale. (Have found Alde v helpful too). 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WhaleSupport said:

Hi Silverback,

Please contact our Customer Support Team who will do all they can to assist you with this Water Pump query.
Contact details below. 

Tel: 02891 270531 (weekdays) or 0845 217 2933 (weekends)

Email: info@whalepumps.com

Alternatively send me the best number to get you on in a private message and I will get one of our team to give you a call back. 

Best wishes

Rachel

Thanks  Rachell I'll PM you ... Regards

23 hours ago, Silverback said:

Thanks  Rachell I'll PM you ... Regards

Fabulous service from Whale they contacted me as promised. Hopefully all sorted now just need to send some info to them when I can get to the caravan in its storage this weekend.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Hi

We had this problem last year and the bailey dealer near to where we were staying resolved the problem.

On the pump the end that plugs into the van there are two O ring rubbers  these dry out and go hard  the pump still works but sucks in air on the O rings  I to had to shake the pump to get it to work. I was a bit dubious of what the dealer said he tested the pump  with new O rings and  problem solved !

I to had been in the shower and had the pump pack up not much fun.

Anyway I was told to apply some vaseline to the O rings  which will keep the rubber supple I hope this helps you.

Edited by Hoverspeed 03
Explanation

Aren't most O rings these days nitrile rather than rubber?

I have had many vans over the years and never had this problem so  I was dubvious when the dealer  told me about the O rings  but he said it's common now a days  

I worked out that since new we had only used the caravan five times so the O rings shouldn't have gone so soon but to avoid getting caught out again I bought  a few O rings to carry as spares.

I was prepared to buy a new pump which the dealer could have sold me but instead he resolved the problem free of charge  .

38 minutes ago, Hoverspeed 03 said:

… I was told to apply some vaseline to the O rings  which will keep the rubber supple I hope this helps you.

I was told never to use Vaseline as it contains petrol which degrades the rubber (or whatever they're made from).  Same with the toilet cassete seal. Use olive oil instead.

John

I have had many vans over the years and never had this problem so  I was dubvious when the dealer  told me about the O rings  but he said it's common now a days  

I worked out that since new we had only used the caravan five times so the O rings shouldn't have gone so soon but to avoid getting caught out again I bought  a few O rings to carry as spares.

I was prepared to buy a new pump which the dealer could have sold me but instead he resolved the problem free of charge  .

10 minutes ago, Johnaldo said:

I was told never to use Vaseline as it contains petrol which degrades the rubber (or whatever they're made from).  Same with the toilet cassete seal. Use olive oil instead.

John

+1

Use silicone lubricant or margerine.

• Like 1

Ok thanks John .

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hoverspeed 03 said:

Hi

We had this problem last year and the bailey dealer near to where we were staying resolved the problem.

On the pump the end that plugs into the van there are two O ring rubbers  these dry out and go hard  the pump still works but sucks in air on the O rings  I to had to shake the pump to get it to work. I was a bit dubious of what the dealer said he tested the pump  with new O rings and  problem solved !

I to had been in the shower and had the pump pack up not much fun.

Anyway I was told to apply some vaseline to the O rings  which will keep the rubber supple I hope this helps you.

Thanks but this is a electrical pump problem.  As per the socket "O"rings I lubricate them with plumbers silicone grease. 

As said don't use Vaseline, olive oil works and is ok, I carry a small tub of divers O-ring grease in the caravan that cost £3 at a local divers shop. 

I also carry a packet of O-rings, the nitrile rubber type used for turbo repairs and these last much longer than the rubber ones.

• Like 1

On 25/04/2019 at 18:35, Silverback said:

Fabulous service from Whale they contacted me as promised. Hopefully all sorted now just need to send some info to them when I can get to the caravan in its storage this weekend.  

Didn't turn out so fabulous ..  It's been two and half weeks after emailing Whale images of my pumps but still no answer.  Well it was good "whale" it lasted (Forgive the joke) I'll just deal with the dealer & vender of the pump.

Happy days !